Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What are your predictions for the next 10 years of music?

The last 20 years or so (and especially, the last 10 years) have been dominated by a significant increase in the use of electronics in music. Percussion styles have often changed significantly to reflect this. Autotune has become popular. Keyboards and experimental sounds are commonplace, and increasingly, the guitar is taking a few more steps to the back. 

Indie music is also rising, and it encompasses pretty much everything. From more grungy 90s style music, all the way to the more electronics-heavy styles of music today, but there's also a lot of music that is becoming simpler, more traditional, and more "authentically imperfect" in terms of intentionally avoiding an overproduced sound. It's interesting that what was once a natural effect of producing on ancient recording equipment is now something we put a lot more effort into reproducing with modern equipment (tape saturation is one of those things), and my prediction is that the indie music genre will bring a lot more of this back to the forefront, at least in some ways, in the next 10 years or so. 

What are your predictions for music over the next decade?

Well it was once said that the future of music is going to sound more like noise than anything... Ironically this came true but not as the statement was intended since electronic music takes electronic noise and distortion. And makes music out of it by adjusting the voltage and frequency of the components.

Now I suspect hybridization is going to be the big thing going forward. Like with the techno rap rock of Linkin park or the crazy electronic metal of knfdm.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I'm secretly hoping for another (actually good) alternative rock/grunge revival like what happened in the 90's, but that seems unrealistic. I'm not sure if people still care about good and high quality music anymore.
Things will never be the same again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Under My Skin's post:
  • Darth-Apple
(January 2nd, 2023 at 7:50 AM)Under My Skin Wrote: I'm secretly hoping for another (actually good) alternative rock/grunge revival like what happened in the 90's, but that seems unrealistic. I'm not sure if people still care about good and high quality music anymore.

90s style music is really growing in popularity in some circles. In a lot of the circles where I used to play in local bands (I don't do too much of it anymore), 90s music was always some of the most popular stuff. 

I think it'll see a resurgence. Maybe not in the mainstream, but indie circles will still make it secretly popular.

(January 2nd, 2023 at 1:55 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(January 2nd, 2023 at 7:50 AM)Under My Skin Wrote: I'm secretly hoping for another (actually good) alternative rock/grunge revival like what happened in the 90's, but that seems unrealistic. I'm not sure if people still care about good and high quality music anymore.

90s style music is really growing in popularity in some circles. In a lot of the circles where I used to play in local bands (I don't do too much of it anymore), 90s music was always some of the most popular stuff. 

I think it'll see a resurgence. Maybe not in the mainstream, but indie circles will still make it secretly popular.

I agree with you. I know some radio, podcasts, and some influencers are still celebrating it. I was thinking that maybe we could get it back in the mainstream again, like when Nirvana went #1 on the Billboard chart or something like that.
Things will never be the same again.
[-] The following 2 users Like Under My Skin's post:
  • Darth-Apple, SpookyZalost
K-Pop (Korean) music has gotten popular lately so I am hoping for it get even more popular over the next 10 years to the point where it be easier to K-Pop merchandise in stores.
[Image: qg8LLVv.jpg]
^Banner made by me^
(January 11th, 2023 at 3:14 AM)Double Knot Wrote: K-Pop (Korean) music has gotten popular lately so I am hoping for it get even more popular over the next 10 years to the point where it be easier to K-Pop merchandise in stores.

KPop has most definitely seen a huge rise in popularity. I do think it will continue to grow now that its ALMOST mainstream.