Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Linux turns 30: ​Linus Torvalds on his "just a hobby" operating system

It's been 30 years since Finnish graduate student Linus Torvalds drafted a brief note saying he was starting a hobby operating system. The world would never be the same.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linus-torv...-birthday/

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
[-] The following 1 user Likes tc4me's post:
  • Guardian
Linux is the best operating system
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
And now Linux lol s 31 years old and gaining a new chunk of the market thanks to the steam deck :⁠-⁠P
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Linux + Chrome OS (which can *usually* run Linux apps) now makes up over 5% of desktop market share. Linux is growing faster than it's ever grown, and I think that's partly due to Microsoft's failings with Windows 11 hardware support.

I think Linux is poised for more growth in the desktop market than we realize.

I agree, personally I think in the very near future linux is going to overtake microsoft... because free is something most people can agree with, and it's becoming easier to use thanks to the efforts of several corporations.
I think Microsoft will still have an edge for a while with their holdings in other areas, such as Microsoft Office (And with software suites like Adobe not necessarily being willing to release Linux versions either). Businesses will probably prefer Microsoft for a while, but Linux is gaining headway so fast that given 10 years, it might be a legitimate and serious challenger in these spaces.

oh I wouldn't worry about adobe... here's the problem. Nobody likes software as a service. a lot of people use it because that's what they were taught in institutions. but I can confirm for a fact that a lot of smaller places like community centers and the like are offering photo editing classes using... GIMP Tongue

I know because that's what my sister learned to use and I've seen it a few times around here.
I thought about purchasing an Adobe subscription, but I wasn't gonna pay $50/mo for it. Businesses, unfortunately, kinda force people to do it, so it still ends up being the de-facto for a lot of professional work.

There are alternatives, but folks aren't quite as well trained for them. Hopefully things change, I'm ready for Adobe not to have a monopoly on these things anymore.

you should have seen me during my brief stint in ITT technical institute, everyone was using brand new laptops running microsoft windows and microsoft office.

I was using a raspberry pi I assembled on day 1 of class before class started, running open office.

I got the same amount of work done and since the documents were cross compatible none of the staff said anything though I did get some looks from the other students Tongue

Point is as long as the work is getting done and it's not violating any weird contracts I don't see the problem with using open alternatives.

certainly companies wouldn't mind the cost savings of not having to buy another license.
(December 23rd, 2022 at 5:48 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: you should have seen me during my brief stint in ITT technical institute, everyone was using brand new laptops running microsoft windows and microsoft office.

I was using a raspberry pi I assembled on day 1 of class before class started, running open office.

I got the same amount of work done and since the documents were cross compatible none of the staff said anything though I did get some looks from the other students Tongue

Point is as long as the work is getting done and it's not violating any weird contracts I don't see the problem with using open alternatives.

certainly companies wouldn't mind the cost savings of not having to buy another license.

I sure hope they gave you extra credit for that. Tongue

(December 23rd, 2022 at 5:53 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I sure hope they gave you extra credit for that. Tongue

No... But I was the person the top students went to with questions and the goto to form study groups with  Big Grin

Really though I should have been given honorary credits given it was a sysadmin course.
Kinda weird that they made everyone use Windows for a Sysadmin course. Tongue

Oh I know! everyone else had to do a bunch of extra steps for network command that I just used one or two lol
The SaaS concept irritates me to no end. I will NOT pay a recurring fee for access to software. I will use the one-time purchase or preferably freeware.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guardian's post:
  • SpookyZalost
(December 23rd, 2022 at 10:24 PM)Guardian Wrote: The SaaS concept irritates me to no end. I will NOT pay a recurring fee for access to software. I will use the one-time purchase or preferably freeware.

Same here. Too much freeware exists for me to pay for Adobe products for freelance stuff.

[-] The following 2 users Like Darth-Apple's post:
  • Guardian, SpookyZalost