Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

An operating system can be so beautiful

Windows 10 is widespread, but it is certainly far from perfect. Above all, the inconsistent UI, which is outdated in many places, regularly drives many users to white heat. But Microsoft has recognized this and wants to give Windows 10 a design update in 2021. Windows 11 won't get much better, BUT: !!!! The free Linux distro Deepin shows what an elegant operating system can look like.

I think that's really awesome

AND :!  the system tray icon in the middle! is only something new with Windows11, Deepin has had it for a long time :-)

https://www.deepin.org/en/

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
"from China" worries me a bit...
@Guardian Do you think of spy software?

@tc4me I might look at it... after I've opened it in a sandbox, and looked over the code first.

no offense but I prefer to roll my own distro's and self compile because at least that way I can remove any obvious spyware and hunt down the rest if it gets caught in the adaptive firewall.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(July 1st, 2021 at 10:35 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @tc4me I might look at it... after I've opened it in a sandbox, and looked over the code first.

no offense but I prefer to roll my own distro's and self compile because at least that way I can remove any obvious spyware and hunt down the rest if it gets caught in the adaptive firewall.

@SpookyZalost Please Yes, looked over the code first !!! 
Thank`s

@tc4me obviously what constitutes a beautiful operating system is relative to the observer...

for me function > form = elegant.

it's why I prefer window managers that can do a mixture of terminal interfaces and graphical windows.

a decent TUI even removes the need for graphical windows in most cases.

For example, before I changed it up this was my own Debian setup running openbox for the graphical backend.

[Image: zwvykhx.png]

[Image: kHkoXyp.png]

to me that's incredibly elegant and easy to use, though I recognize that to a lot of people this would feel fairly alien and difficult to use simply because of the reliance on a terminal shell despite it's low overhead and resource use compared to "modern" interfaces like windows 10, OSX, Gnome, Etc.

as a side note, I designed this interface to be used with my 21inch touchscreen, I've kinda shifted away from that to a nice mechanical keyboard and trackball mouse though.
(July 17th, 2021 at 9:42 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I recognize that to a lot of people this would feel fairly alien and difficult to use simply because of the reliance on a terminal shell despite it's low overhead and resource use compared to "modern" interfaces like windows 10, OSX, Gnome, Etc.

haha, terminal or bust.
Design is awesome, and as you already mentioned, what about security and spyware?

@tc4me it's Linux, but if it helps I compile my own apps, check the code for stuff, and run clamav for an anti virus.
@SpookyZalost 
( but if it helps I compile my own apps, check the code for stuff, and run clamav for an anti virus.)
, Please Yes  Smile

you know I actually think I'm starting to like Gnome 3.

especially with some tweaks to minimize the desktop UI and merge the taskbar and dock into one place like in windows like interfaces.

it's clean, efficient, modern, and most of all functional as well as customizable to the extreme.

windows is vaporware as far as UI is concerned lol.
I enjoy Gnome 3 with the right extensions. The compatibility changes every release and it's a nightmare, it's clear that the Gnome team wants customizability on paper but doesn't do a lot to make developer's lives easy. They are sort of big on the "Gnome way" and the "gnome look" and sort of look down on people who want to change it. It's a bit annoying, but a number of distros have done a lot of work making it more mainstream, and they've done a good job of it too. I'd never use vanilla Gnome 3, but with the right extensions, it's great.

Deepin was an OS I used extensively a while back. Being from china is a little worrisome, but the US is starting to invade privacy in many of the same ways, and it's not likely we will really escape it, no matter what we will do. I use primarily Debian and Ubuntu today, which are probably, relatively speaking, much safer. Supposedly Ubuntu now supports installing the Deepin desktop environment.

Deepin is absolutely beautiful, I have to admit. It's the kind of distro that would make Linux mainstream if it were a little more trusted worldwide.

Would you recommend installing it on an old laptop?

@tc4me deepin or Linux in general? Because I'd say yes to the latter since stuff like xfce is light enough to run on laptops from 10 years ago without much if any slowdowns.

It's why I often put Linux on any old laptops I find, to help them maintain usability.

If you mean gnome 3 and deepin, I guess it depends on how old the laptop is since the desktop environment isn't the most efficient.
I want deepin  to use an 8 year old HP laptop

@tc4me in that case, I guess it comes down to how light the Desktop Environment is.

worst case you can always run a lighter one.
Deepin is nice but it's heavily influenced by the Chinese government and that alone should keep anyone away from it.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(August 29th, 2021 at 7:49 PM)tc4me Wrote: I want deepin  to use an 8 year old HP laptop

I installed it on a laptop from 2012, and it worked marvelously. My daily driver is from 2012 actually, and it still keeps up nicely enough to play Cities Skylines even. 

Even heavyweight linux environments like Deepin are very lightweight compared to their Windows counterparts. Gnome 3 can get a little hefty (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora), but even that is probably not bad compared to some of the alternatives. Deepin is snappier than Gnome is for sure.

Pretty much any linux distribution is going to run fine on any computer made in the last 15 years or so. Deepin definitely looks much nicer than many of the Gnome based distributions but its performance is actually not bad. If I recall, the desktop environment itself can now be installed on Ubuntu as well, which is always an option.