Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Banished

Has anybody here played Banished? 

If you haven't played this, it's a city-building strategy game, developed by Shining Rock Software. You start a settlement, and you need to manage its limited resources carefully, and handle challenges such as famines, natural disasters and an aging population. However, should you succeed at managing these issues, the town will grow and, eventually, prosper. 

I haven't played it yet, but it seems to be right up by street, and the Steam reviews look very good - so, I'm pretty certain that I'm going to get it Big Grin . 

What about you?
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
I have!

recently in fact, about a month ago, I really like it's modability and some of the fun stuff you can build with it.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Haven't played it in years. It was hard AF when it first came out. I've thought about giving it another go. Good game overall.
What a neat coincidence! I just played Banished again for the first time in many moons just a few days ago.

I agree with the difficulty, it's definitely a game where you always have to keep watch on how resources are doing, especially food. In my experience playing it, if you reach a place where you've run out of food in storage and houses have begun to run out of food too, no matter what you do, you're about to lose 10% to 50% of your entire population. I've also noticed that people will never visit other houses than their own to find food, but they will to get warm.

I took only one picture from my last time playing, of a fishing dock I placed that I hoped to be extremely productive:
[Image: unknown.png]
Well, thanks for the warnings about the difficulty Tongue . But, as somebody who plays FTL: Faster Than Light on Hard difficulty, all I can really say to that is "Challenge accepted" Big Grin . 

Of course, if I do run into any problems, and I need any help, then it's good to know that there are several people here who have experience with the game Smile .

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
I played some more after that post, but I find Banished on my computer really starts to slow down after reaching a population of 500.
that would be a cpu limitation, calculating all those ai can be hard on a computer. Heck even my 8 core 16 thread overclocked fx cpu struggles after a point.
Well, I do hope my computer's not going to be the same Sad . It's a gaming laptop (albeit quite a low end one), so it shouldn't be as bad as that... but, I have run into lag on some other games (like Transport Fever), so I am a bit worried.

In any case, I still don't have the game... I'm now thinking I'll pick it up in Summer Tongue .

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
@Kyng it should be fine, my desktop is like 10 years old lol so your low end gaming laptop should handle it without issue.
Well, I got this game in the Steam Summer Sale, and I've just started playing it for the first time Big Grin .

After playing the tutorials, I started a game on a Medium map, with Medium starting conditions, but the disasters turned off. Here are my starting five families - with a barn, but no homes:

[Image: 8C688FE37D30B5D14B47FFB0F01392101D9AA1E1]

Of course, I immediately set about building some housing and infrastructure for them, so that they could actually survive in this desolate land Tongue . Now, it's winter, and there's a cluster of five houses and a woodcutter's hut next to the starting barn. Further out, I have some farms and a forester's lodge on the left of the screen, and a gatherer's hut and a fishing dock on the right-hand side:

[Image: 9C2C83263B8052A52DABC9CC98FFFA392393DB6E]

It's still not a grand town - but one day, I hope it will be Big Grin .

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
An update on the above.

My town now has a population of 36 people, living in nine houses (four of them stone). There's also a blacksmith, a tailor, a herbalist, a school house, a trading post, and several new farms:

[Image: 0D67708F92DA26DA971A3389C6194DF7EBF28C13]

The only annoyance is that my pasture only has one cow in it. That's not really enough... I need more before I can get meat and leather from it (and I need leather before I can start making any clothing Tongue ). I did get one merchant (which is how I acquired the first cow), but I sadly didn't have enough things to sell to buy two. 

Need to wait for another merchant, I guess!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
It's growing quite nicely kyng.
Thanks Smile ! And another update:

[Image: A51AC24764734F4E825AF5B67DA6A06293A815F6]

Yeah, I have sick people. That might have something to do with the fact that I traded off my entire stock of firewood for some cabbage seeds >_< !!!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
From what I've noticed in the game, sickness seems to come at random. It might be possible to stop sickness from ever spreading, because that seems to have happened in my largest town from my most recent time playing banished in April. Single people got sick twice and both times they immediately went to one of the physicians I had built and recovered before anyone else became sick. It might have also been luck of course.
(August 31st, 2021 at 2:12 AM)Darvince Wrote: From what I've noticed in the game, sickness seems to come at random. It might be possible to stop sickness from ever spreading, because that seems to have happened in my largest town from my most recent time playing banished in April. Single people got sick twice and both times they immediately went to one of the physicians I had built and recovered before anyone else became sick. It might have also been luck of course.

Thanks Smile ! Yeah, it could've just been a coincidence; it just seems odd that it would have happened right after I ran out of firewood!

Here's a more recent picture of the town. There's been quite a lot of progress - including a hospital, a market, some pastures filled with cattle, and a quarry in the top-left corner:

[Image: D2000AE24F5B3062CFFC2F891384862D9302647E]

I did get another outbreak (cholera this time) - but, thanks to my new hospital, I was able to contain that!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Well, since I lost my previous game when my computer died, I started a new one:

[Image: FB39700A3FED2EFBB5B2CD4E159BECC33FA18B03]

Not exactly a massive town yet - but it does divide itself nicely into a southern half (focused on resource gathering), and a northern half (focused on manufacturing and trading) Big Grin . 

Sadly, I don't have access to any farming yet - but that's because I'm playing on Hard difficulty Tongue . I need to wait for a trading ship to come, so I can buy some seeds!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
I need to fire Banished up again. Haven't played in ages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guardian's post:
  • Kyng
(June 22nd, 2023 at 11:20 AM)Guardian Wrote: I need to fire Banished up again. Haven't played in ages.

Well, if you do, I hope it goes better than my first attempt. 

(The one I posted is actually my second new village after a long time away from the game... in my first one, everyone froze during winter!)

#ForzaJules 1989-2015