Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

MyBB Updates Completed

Hi all, 

We just completed emergency updates on our forum software and server. These sorts of updates *usually* break things (we've seen some serious wreckage in the past), so we normally test them to make sure everything is good before we put them in place. This time, however, they had several critical security patches that we had to run immediately to prevent any breaches. Not to worry, we patched them very quickly and the community is safe. 

That being said, there are almost always bugs after one of these is run, and we had to push this one very quickly. We will be fixing any issues in the coming hours, so please report anything you may encounter! 

Regards, 
-Makestation

Hy @Darth-Apple , thanks for your quick intervention. Wink How about the development of your plugins? Are you going on Or something new? Or do you think the Mybb 1.9 will come after all and will then rebuild all your plugins for it?

lg Tc4me

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Well, MyBB 1.9 is still fairly stagnant unfortunately. There is a lot of talk on it on the support forum, but they are still stuck on the rebase (and they have been stuck there for years). They’re basically porting improvements from 1.8.x to 1.9, but all development is frozen until this done. People can’t contribute to development until the rebase is done either. It’s literally frozen.

We are discussing what we are going to do about it, as it’s now been stuck for years. 1.9 will probably arrive eventually, but it will likely be a while unless a major change occurs over there. As far as plugins, I definitely intend on porting all of them once the first beta of 1.9 arrives. They will be ready on 1.9’s launch day.

(March 11th, 2021 at 2:24 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Well, MyBB 1.9 is still fairly stagnant unfortunately. There is a lot of talk on it on the support forum, but they are still stuck on the rebase (and they have been stuck there for years). They’re basically porting improvements from 1.8.x to 1.9, but all development is frozen until this done. People can’t contribute to development until the rebase is done either. It’s literally frozen.

We are discussing what we are going to do about it, as it’s now been stuck for years. 1.9 will probably arrive eventually, but it will likely be a while unless a major change occurs over there. As far as plugins, I definitely intend on porting all of them once the first beta of 1.9 arrives. They will be ready on 1.9’s launch day.

I hate that. Undecided
Dammit, sad to hear it's still stagnant Sad . I haven't been keeping up lately (partly because there hasn't been a lot to keep up with, and what little there has been has just been depressing), but I hope something positive comes from these discussions.

Anyway, I'm glad the upgrade went well!
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
@Kyng I am curious, what software have you been running for your forum?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 11th, 2021 at 2:24 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Well, MyBB 1.9 is still fairly stagnant unfortunately. There is a lot of talk on it on the support forum, but they are still stuck on the rebase (and they have been stuck there for years). They’re basically porting improvements from 1.8.x to 1.9, but all development is frozen until this done. People can’t contribute to development until the rebase is done either. It’s literally frozen.

First of all, I am pleased that you are staying on the ball and adapting your plugins for them, should there ever be a MyBB 1.x.y or 2.
Regarding 1.9 or whatever, it's a shame that it still stands still. As a consumer, I have to be very quiet because it is free software. And everything is developed on a voluntary basis.

lg Tc4me

I implore you not to move to XenForo for the sake of it. You don’t want to look and feel like literally other site on the internet just because it’s there.
@s3_gunzel @Guardian there's a lot on the table right now.

Some of it good some of it not so much but a lot of experimenting is going on to see what works without losing the makestation feel.

It's why one of the big things being looked at besides security is customization and how far it can go.

Right now mybb is great but it's got some serious issues with dependable updates.

Xenforo does have some customization freedom but it costs of course.

Nodebb is an option but the interface changing is kind of hacky.

Rest assured though no changes will be made without extensive testing.

And definitely not going backwards to something like ultrabb or something lol.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 13th, 2021 at 5:43 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Xenforo does have some customization freedom but it costs of course.

Costs your uniqueness, yes.
(March 12th, 2021 at 2:28 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @Kyng I am curious, what software have you been running for your forum?

I'm using MyBB as well - although, since most of my themes are based on BootBB, it doesn't look entirely like a conventional MyBB forum Tongue .

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
MyBB is alright with some extensions for notifications and some deep theming work. MS' theme was totally designed from scratch of course, but it's showing its age. We have talked about redesigning it on multiple occasions, but every time we go for it, we end up basing it off the current design because of the work towards responsiveness already. It ends up looking very much the same as what we have today because of the very unique template work that took place when making this one. It's quite an undertaking to make a new theme from scratch, and to make it mobile friendly.

We're open to your suggestions on what you'd like to see. MS is coming up on its 8th year anniversary on what is more or less the same look. We've been talking about change for a while, and the prospect of it is becoming more and more likely. MyBB has served us very well for years, but we're looking at thinking big in the long term. Lots and lots of options are on the table for us.

Well, I'm personally happy with it as it is now, but I understand if you think another system would serve MS better in the long term.

Whatever you choose, good luck to you Smile !

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Update: According to the folks from the Discord, the rebase has finally made some progress. For years, they were stuck at 1.8.18 (meaning that no changes since 1.8.18 were merged into 1.9 yet). They are now at 1.8.24, and there aren’t very many changes left from over 1.8.24 to 1.8.26. This means the rebase is no longer frozen and will likely be completed before the end of the year.

This is good news because development on 1.9 cannot resume until the rebase is finished. It’s been frozen for years. We’re evaluating still and watching everything very closely to see what this means for Makestation.

(March 26th, 2021 at 1:24 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Update: According to the folks from the Discord, the rebase has finally made some progress. For years, they were stuck at 1.8.18 (meaning that no changes since 1.8.18 were merged into 1.9 yet). They are now at 1.8.24, and there aren’t very many changes left from over 1.8.24 to 1.8.26. This means the rebase is no longer frozen and will likely be completed before the end of the year. 

This is good news because development on 1.9 cannot resume until the rebase is finished. It’s been frozen for years. We’re evaluating still and watching everything very closely to see what this means for Makestation.

Well, that's some progress, at least Big Grin . 

Hopefully, it won't get stuck on 1.8.27, or 1.8.28, or any subsequent releases!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
That is the question right there. Very little changed up to 1.8.26 from where they are at now (both were just security patches). 1.8.27 does have a lot more changes in the pipeline. That’s the last major step left on the rebase apparently.

It’s been completely frozen for years. Zero progress whatsoever. So the risk of possibly speaking too soon, I would say this is probably excellent news.

As it currently looks, the developers are working individually and not together. Instead of making a 1.8.xxx final with mobile theme and Php8 suitable, an obsessive attempt is made to create a 1.9 with fixed accessories such as MyAlart .. or the same. I don't understand, but unfortunately that's the way it is. If I could and would know a little more about programming, then I would create a team and have them work on it right away so it would look like a 2.0 ... everyone would be happy

Quote: Instead of making a 1.8.xxx final with mobile theme and Php8 suitable, an obsessive attempt is made to create a 1.9

Both a major theme rework and PHP8 compatability are major features, which should be a second point release: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_v...dentifiers

Third point releases should only ever be patches.