Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

[Development] Blither - a new forum platform

(June 20th, 2020 at 4:24 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: I miss the old days where there wasn’t tonnes of JavaScript so that’s good.

I agree. There are many websites nowadays that require nearly a full CPU core just to render their pages. It's a shame.

Made some tweaks today and moved the search bar up and the user bar into where the admin bar is. Still not sold on the purple, though.
WebDevZone - A new, friendly web development community
I don't know about you, but I quite like the purple. If nothing else, it's different Tongue .
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Some more progress today.

[Image: Screenshot-2020-06-21-at-23-57-43.png] [Image: Screenshot-2020-06-21-at-23-56-37.png]
Love it. Very clean and distinctive. Love the work on the header as well.

Thanks! I've been finding it tricky to plan everything as though it's the first release with limited features but still give myself the option to add things later on. Like, even though I'm not adding something today, I need to make sure I'll be able to easily in the future if I want to.
(June 21st, 2020 at 11:07 PM)campingrhino Wrote: Thanks! I've been finding it tricky to plan everything as though it's the first release with limited features but still give myself the option to add things later on. Like, even though I'm not adding something today, I need to make sure I'll be able to easily in the future if I want to.
Yeah, I think that's a good way to approach any project. Have bold aspirations for the future, and pave the way for them to become a reality one day - but, for the time being, only bite off what you can chew.

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
When can we expect a public demo?
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(June 29th, 2020 at 6:30 PM)Thomas Wrote: When can we expect a public demo?

I don't think it'll be too long away, to be honest. I might set up a test board that isn't quite public-ready if people are interested.

I was going to post an update today but it's been a bit of a boring one. I've mainly been plugging bits of the backend to the theme and setting up the theme renderer and I'm actually quite surprised at how easy it's been. I've got recaptcha set up on registrations now as well which is another thing off the checklist.

I've used the Twig template engine for themes as I personally love using it and it'll be fairly easy to make themes for. For newcomers that want to start off by customising their board, when you're using another forum software, I think one of the biggest hurdles is working out the structure to be able to edit themes - this is something I want to make as easy as possible so it's one less thing to worry about and hopefully makes it easier to set up a nice little ecosystem for theme designers. MyBB makes it pretty easy to do this, my only annoyance is the database-based template storage. For people like me that just to open the folder in VS Code and have a play, it makes it quite difficult.

Either way, it's getting somewhere. It's been difficult for me to juggle this and other commitments but I'm enjoying it so far.
Well, boring updates are better than no updates at all. Even if the content of the updates isn't particularly exciting, it's important to know that you're still making solid progress Smile .

Looking forward to the public demo!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
Been working on a basic new post/thread page today.

[Image: chrome-YAc-Zyd8-HLH.png]

More than likely going to rewrite the CSS for the editor to make it fit a bit more but this is how it'll sort of look. I've been looking into whether to use smileys/emoticons or to add an emoji picker. I believe that I'd need to make some database changes to save the unicode correctly but for those of you with forums, what do you generally prefer? I like the flexibility of emoji but it means you'd lose the ability to add custom smileys.
I absolutely love the look. It's both simple and modern at the same time. It's a perfect design.

My only suggestion is to make the width of the "New Thread" block the full width of the container. It looks a little odd being centered around half width in the middle, but it otherwise looks fantastic. Very nicely done!

I love its simplicity and lack of bloat.

Just an update that's not really an update. I am still working on this in bits and pieces but real life things have taken over lately. I'll post a proper update once I have one. Big Grin
Well, nice to know you haven't abandoned us Tongue .

Good luck with the real life stuff!

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
any new updates desu?
been well over a month, would be cool to see a demo or smth if life still hasnt killed you xd
Excited to see where this is going!
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee