Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What’s normal in terms of oil consumption?

I’ve had many old cars in my lifetime. Almost all of them burned oil. My old Toyota was the worst of them all. It managed to burn about a quart every gas tank. I had an old civic that did the same thing, but it had a blown head gasket, so it makes more sense on the civic. Finna

I feel like 1 quart every 1000 miles is pretty much acceptable for a car under 200K miles, but it depends. How much is too much, for an old beater?

Oh that's a topic there are variables to consider. Not the KM / Miles but which car brand, which engine, which oil is used.
GM in Autria / Opel uses a lot of oil, due to defective engines already as a new one, Vw or Audi drives up consumption due to Loglife oils. these "original oils" have less sulfur are mostly 0w 30 / ... 40 maximum 5w / x .. and that is so thin that it is d*** by the gap dimension of the piston rings or valve stem seals and burns through.
1 liter per 1000km is completely normal and also desirable.

for me selz.b The Castrol is only a HC oil (partial synthesis).
Purely in terms of price, e.g. at the level of ravenol.
Mobil 1 60-70% GTL / VHVI, lower HTHS, visco phosphorus and zinc (ZDDP) than the shell. But more calcium, so nothing fully synthetic. Priced between Shell and Ravenol.
What is also to be noted: Please only buy the oil from reliable shops, there are counterfeits of all oils in circulation.

Castrol and Mobil 1 are no longer the oils they used to be. This is also the reason why Rowe or Ravenol can survive as small specialty mixes. The same applies to Meguin / Liqui Moly.

That's why I honestly commute between Shell and Ravenol, since both have approvals (which in this oil league only depend on the market position and possible buyer groups, but not on the quality of the oil). A good, cheap, fully synthetic is the high of delticom Performer 0W40.

Synthesis technology / partial synthesis is just a marketing description for hydrocrack oil.

The shell, if you can say so, is an extremely homogeneous, clean hydrocrack oil, but it can no longer be created with the normal HC process.

Gas to Liquid (Fischer - Tropsch synthesis) was developed in Germany in the course of the oil shortage beginning in the 1940s in order to generate a substitute gasoline from wood or similar. Due to the better controllability of the process, an even oil can be generated in contrast to the normal HC process. Since the starting material is gaseous, the extremely clean base oil without sulfur can also be explained.

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
(May 26th, 2020 at 4:33 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I feel like 1 quart every 1000 miles is pretty much acceptable for a car under 200K miles, but it depends. How much is too much, for an old beater?

My Impala has about 250k miles on it and it burns about 1-2 quarts every 1k miles or so. It varies. Once I didn't notice any burn for a hole oil change, then it burnt through 5 quarts before the next one.

I really can't wait to be done with oil for cars... electric FTW. One day... Tongue
@tc4me My car takes 0W40 or 5W40 (Volkswagen), and it’s ridiculously hard to find here. Ordinarily I use Castrol, but we pretty much have no choice but to use Mobile 1, as it’s the only thing we can find. Now that you give more insight on Mobile 1, I wish I could find something different.

@Guardian : Maybe one day, used Tesla’s will have a market of their own. Finna

@Darth-Apple Which oil does VW prescribe for you? VW 507.00? or 501 01 I don't know which car you have, which engine?

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
(May 26th, 2020 at 5:05 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: @Guardian : Maybe one day, used Tesla’s will have a market of their own. Finna

I'll be waiting!
We have sold used Teslas at the dealership I work at before. We found out after the fact that it wasn't exactly allowed, but it was too late by then. Finna

idk about an old beater... but my jeep used a quart to a quart and a half about every 4-5 months of daily use before the accident which is hardly any at all considering I was driving about 15 min to work and 15 min back 4 times a week, on top of exploring on my days off.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Jetta's Oil Filter from Hell Darth-Apple 14 11,734 October 9th, 2020 at 6:09 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Oil Changes Darth-Apple 17 14,412 October 8th, 2020 at 10:07 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost