Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How important is admin experience when creating a community?

I'm geniunely very curious and looking for input. 

My personal opinion is that admin exerience itself does not necessarily matter. Passion for the communty does, however. Admin experience brings you to have that kind of passion, and being very experienced can even, to an extent, make up for it. And the lack of experience, likewise, can be a detriment. 

In other words, you need both passion for your community, and experience (to a lesser extent). If you don't have the experience, it will be harder. 

That being said, we have a number of people here who have their own communites @Juneberry, @SpookyZalost, @Guardian. What inspired you guys to get started? In one sentence, what would you say has been the secret to your successs?

Experience not needed. Apply within.

Some of the better communities I've been a part of were those that the founders had no clue what they were doing, but were very committed. I've also seen great communities ruined by those "experienced" taking over and stripping the heart and soul from said community.

The passion will drive someone to learn what they need to.
(March 19th, 2020 at 12:05 PM)Guardian Wrote: Experience not needed. Apply within.

Some of the better communities I've been a part of were those that the founders had no clue what they were doing, but were very committed. I've also seen great communities ruined by those "experienced" taking over and stripping the heart and soul from said community.

The passion will drive someone to learn what they need to.

Very strongly agree. I've seen this on a lot of communities (Simmania was one of those communities). Nobody had any experience going in, and it ended up being a highly successful community for years (a lot of people that are here at MS today came from SM). 

I like being a part of communities that are more "fresh" like these. They tend to feel more unique and more organic.

Thumbs Up 
First of all I would like to congratulate you on your really great forum! For people like me, such a community is just as important as the basic forum itself. Our wishes, ideas and problems will be processed and implemented by you. And so that simple users like me can design and run our small forum as we would like it to be. Thanks to you and keep up the good work! Smile
(March 20th, 2020 at 2:29 PM)tc4m4 Wrote: First of all I would like to congratulate you on your really great forum! For people like me, such a community is just as important as the basic forum itself. Our wishes, ideas and problems will be processed and implemented by you. And so that simple users like me can design and run our small forum as we would like it to be. Thanks to you and keep up the good work! Smile

Haha thank you! It's been a huge [url=http://makestation.net/showteam.php]team effort[/url] over the years. We've worked together on it, and have been very lucky to be where we are today. 

Peristance is the key with any great forum. Never give up on it, and make it exactly how you want it to be. And MS is here if you have any MyBB related questions or requests! Smile

Yay first post!

Hmm... I should say depends of what kind of experience do you mean. In the full sense on have a degree/master/any official certificate for an administrative career, sure not. But that doesn't mean a site/web project can be sustain just with love, passion and good intentions. Needs a lot of knowledge on different areas: technical about servers, web design, basic programming stuff. etc. and yeah, some marketing knowledge about seo and other things is important to sustain the project.

A lot of things come with the experience, others... well.... it's a matter of willingness to learn.
Welcome to the forums @Plushy!

I agree that in most cases, having general knowledge and some experience is generally hugely beneficial. I have seen plenty of forums succeed where the admin had no experience whatsoever, and was willing to learn on the fly. These forums always had a rough start (usually ran phpBB with the default theme for years), but there is more to a community than just the theme, or the SEO, or the software.

That said, in most cases, successful communities were made on the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th+ tries. Particularly in the community of forum administrators, promotion forums, software support forums, etc. Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fighting forum spam and spambots - admin style! Darth-Apple 6 9,698 May 29th, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Last Post: simlink