Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Coronavirus

First confirmed Coronavirus case at my work yesterday. Didn't find out until today, after I was already in. It took that for them to decide it was a good idea to telework. So, thankfully teleworking exclusively next week.
(March 20th, 2020 at 11:31 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(March 20th, 2020 at 9:51 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: so on sunday I'm getting my work laptop and setup to work from home.

starting monday night I'll be working from my house... for at least 2 months, and until further notice due to concerns of the virus.

They're sending everyone home across the country, and nobody has any idea how long any of this will last. Hope they are able to get it under control soon. 

You work at IBM IIRC?
Yeah, it was difficult for them to setup telework because government agencies and security issues.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 21st, 2020 at 6:18 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Yeah, it was difficult for them to setup telework because government agencies and security issues.

This was my problem. DoD didn't want to heed any of the advice because "We have to defend the nation first."

Yep, can't do that if everyone is out sick. Some people can work from home.

It's that old-dog mindset.
(March 21st, 2020 at 6:25 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(March 21st, 2020 at 6:18 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Yeah, it was difficult for them to setup telework because government agencies and security issues.

This was my problem. DoD didn't want to heed any of the advice because "We have to defend the nation first."

Yep, can't do that if everyone is out sick. Some people can work from home.

It's that old-dog mindset.
It's funny you mention them, they're one my clients!
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(March 21st, 2020 at 9:35 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: It's funny you mention them, they're one my clients!

Same here. Confused
My state is now ordering all nonessential businesses to close and for there to be a shelter-in-place setup. Luckily, the car dealership will likely be deemed essential, but d*** near everything else has closed down in the time since Friday to now. There are very few businesses besides gas stations, banks, grocery stores, and pharmacies that are still open.

Every day I still have my job, I'm thankful. Hope you guys are holding up okay.

Pretty much the same here. This is going to hurt a lot of people.

Got an email yesterday saying there have been 5 confirmed positive cases from work. We've been put on telework this week, but that's a little late because of the incubation period. Here's to hoping I didn't catch anything or even worse give anything to my family. Undecided
Hy folks, yes unfortunately the coronavirus should have caught my son Ben and probably now also us, were tested today, the result can take up to a week, hope you have good virus protection on the laptop :-) that I am not infecting you. Ben is doing well so far, temperature is still very high with him, but I watch over it very carefully. Greets Tc  Confused

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Sorry to hear about your son @tc4me. Hope for a quick recovery!

"So yeah I've just been sitting at home, sleeping in, listening to GY!BE, MCR, Swans, Have A Nice Life, and crying all day long."

"Wow, that's really noble of you to do during this pandemic."

"What pandemic?"
It just got real. The US now has more cases of the virus than any other country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/cor...020-03-26/

My city has pretty much shut down. A lot has (as expected) changed since last week. Very few businesses are open, and the streets are almost empty except at rush hour. You could literally take a walk right in the middle of some of the roads here.

I still have my job for the time being. We've been deemed an "essential workplace" and are surprisingly still doing decent business. We're all stressed and hoping to keep our jobs. As it stands now, the city may order us to reduce our staff, and I would get laid off if that decision was ever made.

We're hoping and praying for the best. How are you guys holding up?

@Lain: You posted while I was writing mine... Glad it's being contained well in your area. Hope we can say the same soon. Finna

(March 26th, 2020 at 11:22 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: It just got real. The US now has more cases of the virus than any other country.

https://www.cbsnews.com/live-updates/cor...020-03-26/

My city has pretty much shut down. A lot has (as expected) changed since last week. Very few businesses are open, and the streets are almost empty except at rush hour. You could literally take a walk right in the middle of some of the roads here.

I still have my job for the time being. We've been deemed an "essential workplace" and are surprisingly still doing decent business. We're all stressed and hoping to keep our jobs. As it stands now, the city may order us to reduce our staff, and I would get laid off if that decision was ever made.

We're hoping and praying for the best. How are you guys holding up?

@Lain: You posted while I was writing mine... Glad it's being contained well in your area. Hope we can say the same soon. Finna

Yeah our city has also shut down since. Only pharmacies, grocery stores, and a few other services are open in brick and mortar, but most things can still be done online, i.e. my university's consultations about anything, like if I need to get an official transcript.
Speaking of the uni, the summer semester is also gonna be online.
Strange times.

Thing is, now that everyone has all the time they want at home, they're going out for walks. As much as I'd also love to, it's terrible for the spread of illness. Last time I went out during the day, whole park was packed. People walking their dogs, taking the kids out to play, etc. But, completely packed. People bumping into me on the sidewalk. Dogs jumping up on my legs. Absolutely no respect or awareness for the current conditions. Next person to bump into me again is gonna get geeked, I'm absolutely done with it.

So I try to go out at night if I want to sesh or whatever. Or, at the very least, when it gets darker so the kids go home.
If I have no option but to go during the day (to pick up a parcel from the post office instead of delivered to my place,) then I've also taken a liking to wearing a skull mask/bandana over the bottom half of my face. Parents of kids get defensive and keep their distance, while kids just stare. No contact made.

Either that or I'll pull out a joint of a CBD strain (so I don't get high) and start smoking, because that also gets people to keep their f*** distance too. Probably the best benefit of legal weed I've personally found lol
We've shut down the parks to deal with that problem. I live with four other people (yea, myself and my roomates, that's 5 people in a three bedroom). It's not good for social distancing. We can't even do it in our own apartment. Finna

But yea, I mean, just go out late at evening as you said. That's more or less what I do. Seems like a good idea to me. Big Grin

A lot here has shut down, but I'm just south of DC and there is still way too much traffic out and about the couple of times I've had to get something or go to work. Even if they're not, everyone here thinks they're essential (egos). My wife is one of the ones going stir crazy and wants to go out and about. Yesterday she took a drive just to drive and get out of the house. Our street has had a lot more walkers too, but luckily everyone keeps their distance.

I'm worried about the economics of everything when this is all over. More unemployment claims reported than other period in our history. Its going to have a shockwave effect going forward. Prepare yourselves. I hope none of you/us lose jobs over this.
Found out I’m losing my job within the next couple of weeks. They put my state on a mandatory lockdown. My workplace is essential, but I’m not on the higher part of the tótem pole. They will be doing layoffs soon and I’m fairly certain I will be one of them.

Hoping for the best. We just don’t know, and it’s not looking bright for us.

(March 27th, 2020 at 8:30 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Found out I’m losing my job within the next couple of weeks. They put my state on a mandatory lockdown. My workplace is essential, but I’m not on the higher part of the tótem pole. They will be doing layoffs soon and I’m fairly certain I will be one of them.

Hoping for the best. We just don’t know, and it’s not looking bright for us.
Confused oh no, d*** shit....hope the best for you,

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Hate to hear that Darth. Undecided Hopefully this doesn't last too long and things get back to normal.
Thank you @Guardian!

The united states now has over 140K cases of the disease. We are becoming the epicenter of the fastest spread in the world. I cannot say that I'm surprised. A lot of people here have not been taking it as seriously as they should.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2...ates-trump

It's sad. We're about to get it handed to us.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Coronavirus Mask Laws Darth-Apple 4 3,004 July 12th, 2020 at 1:45 AM
Last Post: Double Knot