Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020?

Nope. I do way too many things that require a computer!
[Image: meowsepaddotorg.png]
Honestly I've been looking at the surface but my concern is that I've read linux support is terrible, and I'm not sure how to go about multiple os's on the unusual device because I've read it has some unusual bios limiters when running a non windows os.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(April 12th, 2020 at 12:21 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Honestly I've been looking at the surface but my concern is that I've read linux support is terrible, and I'm not sure how to go about multiple os's on the unusual device because I've read it has some unusual bios limiters when running a non windows os.

That'd be a deal breaker for me. I install Linux on every computer I own (usually either Debian, Deepin, or Ubuntu). Oddly enough, MacBooks have decent enough support for Linux once you install a couple Mac-specific things. It can be tricky at first but it works like a charm once you get it going.

That makes sense though, osx is Unix, which Linux is based on. I'd think cross porting of drivers and software would be mostly trivial. They even use the same shell with minor differences.

Honestly I'd like to see something more like the surface but without the cost... I'm surprised apple still hasn't made a touchscreen laptop.
(April 12th, 2020 at 12:27 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: That makes sense though, osx is Unix, which Linux is based on.  I'd think cross porting of drivers and software would be mostly trivial.  They even use the same shell with minor differences.

Honestly I'd like to see something more like the surface but without the cost... I'm surprised apple still hasn't made a touchscreen laptop.

People would drive Microsoft out of business and buy these laptops like no other (probs an exaggaration) if they made them. In all seriousness though, people have been screaming for them for years. Apple usually listens to their users pretty well, but the keyboards and touch screens are exceptions to that rule. 

I suppose they're trying to drive people to the iPad, but still.

@darth, what I want is something like the surface but with more i/o, and I don't mean a couple type c ports... That's still my biggest complaint with the kindle fire, it only has one USB port and it doesn't charge and work as data. I hear they might be replacing it for a type c in the next revision but still. I shouldn't need docks and hubs to connect a drive or a controller gorramit, it's Bluetooth, they could have easily added joystick support.
The Kindle Fire has weird issues with random things. Like, it's a fantastic tablet, but they sure charge a pretty penny for little things to add on to it. I suppose that's how they make money on it. They probably lose money on the tablet itself.

Eh, I bought mine with a case in purple a few years ago, doubles as a stand.

But the joystick thing is just Amazon not supporting Bluetooth controller inputs, I tried dual shock 3 dual shock 4, my trackball mouse... The keyboard works great though and I've done multiple devices over Bluetooth.

The gamepads work via USB which tells me it's literally a driver issue, unfortunately I can't play games with my gamepad and keep the tablet powered for long sessions.

It's just a really stupid oversight that they refuse to fix despite support being in the generic Android kernel.
So you can't charge it AND use USB for data at the same time, if I understand correctly?

Sounds hella annoying. Like what even... Finna

It's a flaw of micro USB, only type c introduced simultaneously charging and using the port for data.
(April 12th, 2020 at 12:49 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: It's a flaw of micro USB, only type c introduced simultaneously charging and using the port for data.

I had no idea that was a limitation of USB. I suppose I never had that issue in the past. I've always hooked my devices up to my computer and charged them, but I suppose I've never used them for data simultaneously.

I didn't even know about it until I tried to hookup my old phone to the TV with a micro USB to HDMI adapter.

My current phone uses type c and doesn't support HDMI out... But I can charge it and plug in a flash drive at the same time so... *Shrugs*
(April 12th, 2020 at 12:21 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Honestly I've been looking at the surface but my concern is that I've read linux support is terrible, and I'm not sure how to go about multiple os's on the unusual device because I've read it has some unusual bios limiters when running a non windows os.
That's too bad. Leave it to Microsoft. Wink
I mean, it's a microsoft tablet, but Ubuntu is pretty. I wouldn't want a device I couldn't run something else on... Finna

I guess that answers the question though, in 2020 I'd use a hybrid tablet/laptop instead of just a tablet because why choose.
Yeah, some of the hybrids look pretty sweet.
No, I wouldn't, because they just don't fit my needs.

I already have my phone for doing quick stuff on the go, and my laptop for doing more serious/long-form stuff. Therefore, I have no use for a device that's sort of like both, but unable to replace either.

I get that for some people with different needs, they offer the best of both worlds - but for me, they're too bulky to replace my phone, but too limited and lightweight to replace my laptop.
[Image: pkmb0Gv.png]

#ForzaJules 1989-2015
I enjoy the combination of having a powerful desktop computer and a somewhat powerful (but aging) tablet / laptop in my Surface Pro 4.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i just got a new tablet -asus zenpad 8.0 VSS 1 3,621 August 5th, 2018 at 8:02 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost