Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Spooky's Jeep Thread

yes, i think it sounds like your getting "very close" now. And sunday could be the big day for sure !
Sports fanatic
So I've decided to rename the thread to Spooky's Jeep thread since that's the main focus now...

to celebrate it here's a pic of me and the jeep up flagstaff mountain last week!

[Image: 0EuzCval.jpg]

Update:

Decided to take a picture of the interior of the jeep.

[Image: Ofw7rwll.jpg]

it's mostly stock and the hula girl is solar powered.

not sure where I'm going to put the cassette player yet but it's a toss up between moving the bottom switch panel and modifying the glove box to fit it.

[Image: 9lmfMcIm.jpg]

that's the cassette player I got for it.

It is a realistic 12-1982 Underdash cassette player.

it plays type 1, type 2, and metal cassette tapes supports asms and dolby NR.

it's also got a built in pre-amp.

only problem is it's stereo so I need a fader knob after the selector switch for the jeeps front/rear pairs of speakers.

I've already gotten it cleaned up and working via a DC power supply on my electronics test bench so I know it works too.

​​​​​​​and one unusual feature, it has headphone output on the front.

that leaves a third option if I wanted to route the headphone jack into the radio's aux input via an aux cable.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
"12-1982 Underdash cassette player.

it plays type 1, type 2, and metal cassette tapes supports asms and dolby NR."

HOT ! Awesome part ,Super part !!!!

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
@tc4me  It also has really nice buttons and controls, very tactile and with some weight behind them.
Is that a partially blown airbag!? Tongue

That cassette player looks AWESOME!
@Guardian yes, that's from the accident, I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet since it costs $600 to have replaced.
Im glad you make it thru this accident without any serious injuries !
Sports fanatic
I love seeing this come along. These Jeep Cherokees are tanks, with the exception of transmission issues.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(November 15th, 2020 at 9:15 PM)Thomas Wrote: I love seeing this come along. These Jeep Cherokees are tanks, with the exception of transmission issues.

Still works, tanks break down a LOT! Tongue
@Thomas @Guardian it could be argued that jeep cherokee's break down less often than tanks lol.

but I will say that the transmission issues are actually fairly straightforward.

owing to the modularity of components (more so than a lot of vehicles I've found actually...).
it literally is just a matter of putting a jack underneath the transmission, unbolting it from the engine, various hoses, the drive shafts, and the shift lever, and then swapping it, install in reverse to how you put it in.

theoretically it can be done by one person but it's far easier with two.
(November 16th, 2020 at 5:43 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @Thomas @Guardian it could be argued that jeep cherokee's break down less often than tanks lol.

but I will say that the transmission issues are actually fairly straightforward.

owing to the modularity of components (more so than a lot of vehicles I've found actually...).
it literally is just a matter of putting a jack underneath the transmission, unbolting it from the engine, various hoses, the drive shafts, and the shift lever, and then swapping it, install in reverse to how you put it in.

theoretically it can be done by one person but it's far easier with two.

Torque converter transmission

It would be much better for two just because of the weight of the gearbox. Have you also thought of a new converter? If you were to remove the gearbox some screws would be required. Often it is not the transmission, but the converter, I remember manufacturers say that transmission oil lasts a lifetime, but that is not true, according to the transmission manufacturer ZF, says transmission oil change every 80,000 - 100,000 t km and "converter" I don't know 99% of 180,000 t km is defective whether that is the right word for torque converter gearbox

A picture is worth a thousand words :-)
[Image: Jeep-KJ-CECAF370.jpg]

[Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
@tc4me let me put it this way...

The jeep's transmission and body are original and have nearly 300,000 miles on them.

the engine was replaced and has about 100,000 miles on it.

so the transmission is really old.

and I noticed that it mostly has issues in the lower gears indicating a transmission problem.
(November 16th, 2020 at 5:43 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @Thomas @Guardian it could be argued that jeep cherokee's break down less often than tanks lol.

I would hope so! There's literally an entire maintenance unit dedicated to just a few dozen of the things. Tongue
so I recently replaced the thermostat on the jeep.

It was REALLY straightforward.

2 1/2in bolts!

long one goes on the top Tongue

ended up using my socket wrench to get them started then turning them with the 1/2in crescent due to space limitations.

once you get the cover plate off you clean off the gasket and the thermostat comes right out.

pop in the new one, replace the gasket, install the cover (original one or new, I got new because it was $5 more and worth it).

ended up paying $22 after taxes plus another $20 in coolant since I had to flush out the system anyway.

[Image: p23la2X.png]

[Image: Lms1Uz3.png]

[Image: cKqP7zw.png]

now the jeep runs better than when I bought it.

of course I also recently replaced one of the hoses on the power steering pump to stop a leak Tongue

another $25.

in this case it was the high pressure line and I had to remove the air filter box (3 Phillips head screws), to get easy access to it before using a 18mm and 16mm flexible flare nut wrench (also known as a line wrench).

wasn't difficult to fix, still can't get over the jeep using a combination of metric and Imperial parts meaning I have gathered a set of wrenches and sockets for both at this point.

remind me to post a picture of my wrench bag sometime lol, it's a nice canvas thing that I've got the wrenches sorted in.

[Image: Sg3zBid.jpg]

[Image: wYp152o.jpg]
So update.  been driving the jeep for over a year now since my last update.  runs great!

had someone rear end someone back in october... and got it running again.

here's that first startup after my second time rebuilding it...

now that it's running I've been working on a new project, a triple fan fan shroud setup, brand new power distribution box to handle them, as well as upgrade the available amps to the headlights with new relays and thicker wire.

Relay box:
[Image: bt7BANPl.jpg]

New header panel and fan shroud with one of the new fans attached.
[Image: YPG3cbql.jpg]

For the moment the fan shroud is made of cardboard... but I'm installing the metal one this weekend.
[-] The following 2 users Like SpookyZalost's post:
  • Guardian, Nebulous
Nice work!
Awesome! Congrats on getting it going again!
So the weather kinda got in the way, it's been a bit of a wait due to all the snow and cold... I don't have a garage.

but it's supposed to be warming up this coming weekend though and I've got all the components finally in one place including the fan control module and halogen headlight upgrades.