Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Project Journal] The United Cities of Talaran

Pierre, thanks for looking into this
I feel what you have found here is very helpful Info Smile
Sports fanatic
Another "mystery" in my game. I place the Maxis airport - the one called "small international airport" in my cities, even though I think that it is poorly supported by the game, wastes space and doesn't contribute much to a city's well-being, but if I don't plop it somewhere in the city I get continuous complaints that the airport is missing.

Usually the airport functions properly, although the numbers of passengers are never very impressive. I have however one case, in the city of Marlande, where the airport, even after many years of presence, has zero usage:

[Image: Dt801a.jpg]

I have no idea why this is so. Has anyone already seen a similar behavior?
When I use to play, I never got much "use" out of the airports. I don't remember if it was a 0-capacity, but they never did have the anticipated impact on the city that they should.
That is very strange Pierre,

I have never had this issue before...

I assume you waited to check the airport, until the game has been run several years ?
Sports fanatic
Yes, of course: the airport was installed quite early in the development of the city - as soon as it became available in the game. It has now been in operation for many years.

I have a hunch about why it is not functioning, which I need to test, and I'll report back.
(February 8th, 2020 at 8:17 AM)pierreh Wrote: Yes, of course: the airport was installed quite early in the development of the city - as soon as it became available in the game. It has now been in operation for many years.

I have a hunch about why it is not functioning, which I need to test, and I'll report back.

Okay this sounds quite interesting what you have in mind..
because at this time, I dont really have any explanation of the Non- function of this airport,
Sports fanatic
I lost my 'disk', which was a solid-state card. No data could be saved. The bright side of that catastrophy is that my laptop has been reinstalled with Windows 10. Because I was a bit lazy with backups, my cities have reverted to their state in September 2019. I have got the game reinstalled (from Steam - I have no CD drive) and it seems to be running properly. I'll resume work on my cities, but it will take a while to bring them back, population-wise, to how they were just before the meltdown. Entries in this CJ may be sparse until I have something valuable to show.
Pierre,

sounds like what started out as a bit of a disaster, worked out in the end.
Hopefully , it will not take you too much work to bring back your cities to their former states and
I look forward to more updates here when you feel you have something worthwhile to post here !
Sports fanatic
(March 7th, 2020 at 10:18 AM)pierreh Wrote: I lost my 'disk', which was a solid-state card. No data could be saved. The bright side of that catastrophy is that my laptop has been reinstalled with Windows 10. Because I was a bit lazy with backups, my cities have reverted to their state in September 2019. I have got the game reinstalled (from Steam - I have no CD drive) and it seems to be running properly. I'll resume work on my cities, but it will take a while to bring them back, population-wise, to how they were just before the meltdown. Entries in this CJ may be sparse until I have something valuable to show.

Oh no, good luck getting back to where you want to be!
I'm sorry to hear about your loss with your hard drive! I had the exact same thing happen a while back, and it was altogether a frustrating experience. Hope your'e able to get everything back quickly!

In the older Sambey cluster, the city of Jonolray is linked to Lessy by a narrow strip of terrain on the other side of a large body of water. The location of the highway and dual railroad tracks between the two cities have been dictated by that terrain constraint:

[Image: mvTRqV.jpg]

Because the highway and railway links were insufficient for the intense inter-cities traffic, 4 subway links were also placed, and the connections for those were also placed so that they would be 'on land':

[Image: dDEfK3.jpg]

All 4 subway lines were saturated, so that I decided to install a 5th line. I wondered whether I could implement a connection 'below water'. The game let me do that, and soon enough the new line started to carry traffic - relieving two of the four older lines:

[Image: mBNrCL.jpg]

This opens new possibilities. It is of course not possible to have 'below water' connections for either highway or railway, but it is possible for subways...
Wow Pierre .

these underwater connections are definitely ( new finds) to myself anyways.
And this is a great way to implement this new idea to help with the traffic congestion issues you had in the city..

Before, I would have never thought to try this, thinking this would never work !!

A very good new posting from you with a concept I doubt very many people ( if any at all ! ) knew about trying before..
Sports fanatic
Would have never thought about the subways working that way. Great find!
Fantastic find! I myself had thought it impossible as well.
Well done! Seems like you have a very healthy amount of traffic flowing between cities. Spreading it out well seems to be working great.

In early March i reported about the loss of my disk, and therefore of some months of work on my cities. Meanwhile, and especially 'thanks' to the current confinement which translates into many hours of game playing, I have restored the clusters to their state at the time of the disk crash, and went even a bit further. The total population of the region is now over 14 Mio Sims. The stats, as of a few days ago when i took the picture, as follows:

The goals i set earlier remain valid. For the record they are:
- reaching 15 Mio Sims in the region
- one city (at least) reaching 1.5 Mio Sims

Slowly but surely I'll get there...
Wow, you’ve grown it substantially! Are these generally all large city tiles or so you have some medium tiles as well?

That's a lot of Sims!

I love seeing the statistics behind a lot of these things.