Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Worst cities for traffic?

(June 3rd, 2018 at 3:26 PM)VSS Wrote: its ironic though, i hate big city driving, but i love living in a big city.

If I lived in a big city, I would walk, bike, or public transport around. The car would be used for leaving the city.
(June 3rd, 2018 at 5:16 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 3rd, 2018 at 3:26 PM)VSS Wrote: its ironic though, i hate big city driving, but i love living in a big city.

If I lived in a big city, I would walk, bike, or public transport around. The car would be used for leaving the city.

Sometimes you have no other option too. Tongue
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
i think if i moved to a smaller town like a family oriented neighborhood, i think i can navigate streets with ease...but at same time, within earshot of metropolis city. its getting too crowded some cities...not enough open space and accesable roadways
(June 5th, 2018 at 3:23 AM)VSS Wrote: i think if i moved to a smaller town like a family oriented neighborhood, i think i can navigate streets with ease...but at same time, within earshot of metropolis city. its getting too crowded some cities...not enough open space and accesable roadways

How's the public transit? Or bike accessibility?
public transit is neutral..meaning they are always on time. but in big city, delays up to 1 hour and 50 minutes! bike paths are abundant everywhere. we have good relations sharing road with bikers.
once thing I like about london is their sky bike path project that's been on the drawing boards for a while.

basically elevated bicycle pathways throughout the city, like a bike highway.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I live in a relatively small beach town (metro area ~200K), and you wouldn't think that the traffic would be as bad as it is. Especially during the summer, it can very easily take half an hour to drive 5 miles. I literally skateboard just about everywhere if it gets bad enough. It's just too excruciating to be on the roads during rush hour.

Had a bike but they get stolen very easily around here, even with locks. Finna

(June 5th, 2018 at 6:38 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: once thing I like about london is their sky bike path project that's been on the drawing boards for a while.

That's very interesting. I would be on them all day long. Finna

(June 5th, 2018 at 9:56 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I live in a relatively small beach town (metro area ~200K), and you wouldn't think that the traffic would be as bad as it is. Especially during the summer, it can very easily take half an hour to drive 5 miles. I literally skateboard just about everywhere if it gets bad enough. It's just too excruciating to be on the roads during rush hour.

Had a bike but they get stolen very easily around here, even with locks. Finna

(June 5th, 2018 at 6:38 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: once thing I like about london is their sky bike path project that's been on the drawing boards for a while.

That's very interesting. I would be on them all day long. Finna

right?!!! I'd be riding them on some sort of futuristic spoke less bicycle with glowy bits and a dashboard... maybe a gps of some kind as well... and gps tracking for anti-theft lol.

but I honestly wish this sorta thing was everywhere because here while bicycles are common it's the bicycle traffic along with the college drivers that are making the roads dangerous.

single file, that's the rule, and yet they line up 2 to 4 in a row sometimes taking up an entire lane -_-
(June 5th, 2018 at 11:03 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: but I honestly wish this sorta thing was everywhere because here while bicycles are common it's the bicycle traffic along with the college drivers that are making the roads dangerous.

single file, that's the rule, and yet they line up 2 to 4 in a row sometimes taking up an entire lane -_-

I'm an advocate for increased bicycle usage, but riding in the road they are indeed a safety hazard. For them and for others. I absolutely hate it.

That's why I support bike lanes. I'd rather have them on a sidewalk than on the road.
i rather drive than bike...but most of the time i'd have to dodge all the people on bikes as they dart in and out of traffic.. and/or hog the roadways. im glad i dont live in a city where half of the population rides bikes
(June 5th, 2018 at 9:06 PM)Guardian Wrote: That's why I support bike lanes. I'd rather have them on a sidewalk than on the road.

Is it illegal, like to the point of you can get a small-ish fine for cycling on the path/sidewalk in the US? It is here and it's total bollox... Along with the fact that you can get a fine for no helmet now too Rolleyes Not all cops enforce it but if you get a bad cop on a bad day you're screwed, and imagine that your 14 y/o kid coming home from school one day "mum I got a fine for £70 for riding my bike on the path!" Finna Lights too (on a night) but I agree with that.
[Image: forumonic-bar.png]...............[Image: xige-logo-png-blue-sml.png]
Latest snapshots: Postbit Design - Multi Login Modal (1) - Responsive Pollbar
It's legal in the US. People ride in the open road all the time in my town and they have signs just about everywhere. You literally won't hear a word about it from the cops. A lot of drivers are very inconsiderate towards bike riders around here and people have gotten hurt because of that before.

I live very close to my university campus, and as a result, I can't obtain a parking pass (university rule). I longboard or ride my bike about a mile (on the sidewalks) or so to campus every day, and it's literally a daily occurrence that someone tries to cut me off. I've also almost been run over a few times before. And my town is very pedestrian friendly. You can hardly go anywhere without there being greenways or sidewalks to use.

I understand the frustration that pedestrian traffic can bring on drivers, but at the same time, if I'm outside being rained on and you're in a car, the least you can do is show a little consideration and not try to run me over at an intersection. You'd be surprised how rude drivers can be around here about it. Not to mention the very high amount of pedestrian traffic in my city helps alleviate severe traffic congestion on the streets, where the roads are not nearly equipped to handle the level of traffic here. It's only really a problem near the university, but I presume people get pretty tired of dealing with pedestrians all day long. These people should realize they are in a beach town, and there will be pedestrians no matter what they do. Finna

@Darth: the thing is there's lots of bicycle pathways and greenways here too, it's just that for some ungodly reason cyclists can't share the road with drivers and drivers all bunch up and don't pay attention, it's a problem on both sides.
today while driving on the i-580 freeway that snakes its way in and around the bay area, there was crash that basically wasted over 3 hours of my time early this morning. one crash and backed up for several miles. we need hover cars lol. as population increases, so does traffic. traffic wasnt a hassle when i grew up in the 70's and 80's
(June 15th, 2018 at 4:45 PM)VSS Wrote:  we need hover cars lol. as population increases, so does traffic. 

Yes. Yes. and YES.
(June 15th, 2018 at 8:00 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 15th, 2018 at 4:45 PM)VSS Wrote:  we need hover cars lol. as population increases, so does traffic. 

Yes. Yes. and YES.

Problem, Polluted skyway's with heavy traffic... you think traffic jam's are bad now? imagine them in the sky blocking out
(June 15th, 2018 at 10:56 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Problem, Polluted skyway's with heavy traffic... you think traffic jam's are bad now? imagine them in the sky blocking out

You had to kill the dream. Tongue

Actually, as stated in other threads, I would like to see more bicycles and public transit. Bicycles with electric boost would be handy.
it is strange, we have new commuter trains in place.. nearly 367.000 people use it daily...but on the bridge going to the big city, nearly 885.000 people use that to get to work. thats a huge difference..and all those bridge commuters get stuck in traffic everyday. its the same thing everyday, week etc. i guess we have a love for driving

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How is the traffic in your town? Darth-Apple 8 4,558 August 3rd, 2020 at 4:07 AM
Last Post: Kim Winchester