Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

England, through the Ages, An EU4 AAR

This is a repost of my Europa Universalis 4 AAR from the forums at Simmania. As I promised Blake Big Grin

Table of Contents 
Chapter 0: Prologue
Chapter 1: War and Peace

Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy this AAR! Big Grin
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
Prologue (1400)

In the year 1400, England was a mere regional power in the sea of many greater powers. Although near-dominant in Britain, it is far from a contender in the politics of mainland Europe. 

[Image: 01.jpg]

The realm is ruled by the military-minded Ealdhun Hvitserk, who can trace his ancestry back to the legendary Viking Halfdan Hvitserk, one of the sons of Ragnar Lodbrok who invaded Britain to avenge their father’s death. 
[Image: 02.jpg]

England’s primary rival in the region is the Kingdom of Northumberland, who also shares England’s only northern frontier. 
[Image: 03.jpg]

England’s only rivals are located in the British Isles, and the strongest of them is the Kingdom of Northumberland.
[Image: 04.jpg]

Another branch of the Hvitserks rule in the Kingdom of Lotharingia, a state whose very existence is threatened by its geographical location. 
[Image: 05.jpg]

The primary rival of England, the Kingdom of Northumberland, also has stated its intention to become King of Great Britain. 
[Image: 06.jpg]

In Iberia, the post-English Kingdom of Andalusia and the Kingdom of Castile are locked in a fierce rivalry to dominate the peninsula.
[Image: 07.jpg]

Western Europe is dominated by the states of France, Frisia, and Italy, while Lotharingia and Burgundy are two comparatively minor states with an unfortunate location as a buffer between several great powers. While in Central Europe, the Kings of Germany and Bavaria, not unlike the situation in Iberia, are locked in a seemingly eternal rivalry with each other. 
[Image: 08.jpg]

Eastern Europe is divided between the Orthodox Ruthenia and Cumania, and the pagan states of Finland and Rus’.
[Image: 09.jpg]

The Levant region is largely dominated by the Orthodox Byzantine Empire, which was for a short while unified with the Kingdom of Bulgaria under the Croatian Domagojevic dynasty. 
[Image: 10.jpg]

Knowing the state Europe is in, Ealdhun hires only the best of the best for his council, choosing carefully from among his nobility. 
[Image: 11.jpg]

Ealdhun signs several treaties with Frisia, the first of such being a royal marriage and the second being an alliance. 
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]
A prominent yet misguided monk preaches a heretical doctrine to the commoners of some minor village, which somehow gains national attention. His burning has left a permanent black stain on the Church, just one in a mighty amount of factors that would later lead to a dangerous schism within the Church…
[Image: 14.jpg]
Nation may rise against nation, kingdom against kingdom, but can England survive this age of conflict, reformation, and enlightenment?
[Image: 16.jpg]

[b]Chapter 1: War and Peace (1400-1404)
[/b]

Ealdhun decides to send one of his finest diplomats to improve relations with his dynastic cousins in Lotharingia. 
[Image: 01.jpg]

The first conflict of century in the British Isles erupts as a border incident between Brythoniaid and Scotland sparks into an all out war. 
[Image: 02.jpg]

Sensing this as an opportunity to invade Northumberland unimpeded, Ealdhun orders for troops to be amassed on the border. 
[Image: 03.jpg]

He also orders for the navy to begin preparing for war. 
[Image: 04.jpg]

Knowing that the Northumbrians are currently mobilizing own army in response, Ealdhun gives a very cultured letter stating that England will be on their doorstep within the hour. 
[Image: 05.jpg]

Ealdhun orders for a special tax to be collected to fund the war. 
[Image: 06.jpg]

A distinguished noble by the name of Lawrence Bedford is appointed to lead the invasion of Northumberland.
[Image: 07.jpg]

The first engagement of the war occurs as the Northumbrians attempt to relieve the garrison at Lancaster, which was being besieged by English invaders. 
[Image: 08.jpg]

The attempt is a miserable failure as the Northumbrians, facing a combined force of England and Frisia, are forced to retreat due to being greatly outnumbered. 
[Image: 09.jpg]

The English forces pursue the fleeing Northumbrians, annihilating them completely at their capital. 
[Image: 10.jpg]

By this time Northumberland has been totally besieged, their Danish allies unable to support them due to being bottled up by the Frisian fleet. 
[Image: 11.jpg]

By the time the new year rolls around, the first Northumbrian garrison surrenders, in the province of Derby, followed by Yorkshire. 
[Image: 12.jpg]
[Image: 13.jpg]

Soon enough every single province of Northumberland has surrendered, leaving negotiating a peace deal the only thing left to do. The border regions of Lancashire and Lincoln are annexed to England, as well as a tribute of 101 ducats being exacted from the Northumbrians.
[Image: 14.jpg]

Thus the first in a series of many wars for British unification has been concluded. 
[Image: 15.jpg]

Perhaps impressed by English performance during the war, a well respected drill instructor from Frisia offers his services to the English crown. 
[Image: 16.jpg]

This man greatly increases the power and respectability of the English army, and one of his apprentices by the name of Offa Cornwallis also offers his services to lead English troops to glory. 
[Image: 17.jpg]

[Image: 18.jpg]

World map, 1404:
[Image: t0qt3Ff.jpg]

Good stuff! I do hope you keep it up.

I would be interested in that mod too... Tongue
Haha thanks. Yeah, I plan to release the mod after I do a lot of changes to it. I played with a really rough version during the AAR. But for now, you can enjoy 30+ more updates of awesome stuff in the meantime Big Grin