Poll: What happens to your level of motivation when you near completion of an idea or project?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I gain motivation generally.
12.50%
1 12.50%
I lose motivation when problem solving becomes a major issue
37.50%
3 37.50%
It depends.
50.00%
4 50.00%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Losing motivation at 90%

As a programmer, I tend to come up with a lot of ideas and get proof of concept "releases" up and running as quickly as possible. That said, it's easy to do 90% of the work and to give up when all that is left is mere problem solving. I don't like giving up on projects, so it's always a tough decision for me. I do tend to stay busy with something, and a lesson can always be learned, but still, it's not something I like doing. 

Of course, many people in my observations seem to be just the opposite and gain motivation during their "home stretch." Do you often find yourself losing motivation near the end of a project due to the "problem solving" stage, or do you find yourself gaining motivation as you see completion of an idea or project nearing? Be sure to vote in the poll! 

Its depends on the project for me. On my 3d Modeling projects, I sometimes lose motivation in the middle of the project, but then gain it back towards the end as I am ready to see the feedback I get, the downloads, ratings, ect. When I work on themes and such, I get demotivated when I stumble across an issue, or don't have the time to work on it, I just can't get back into it for a while. Its weird, but that's how I work. Tongue
That's how I am as well. I tend to fail to complete a lot of projects because of the problem solving phase. I've learned a lot from failed projects, but still, it'd be nice to maintain motivation all the way through a project and to not stumble across issues so quickly.

And you and themes... I never knew how you developed themes so fast. Tongue

I just get really motivated at the beginning of making them, I am so excited, I just work and work and work and love seeing it, that I never realized I made them so fast until I started talking to you about them. Tongue
Have you considered getting back into MyBB themes? With some of the things you've designed, you could really pick up a good reputation at the MyBB community forums. Good themes are getting thousands of downloads in a matter of days right now.

I have considered it, because I really enjoy it. I still have MyBB running on a localhost on my PC, but I do not have a live server out there at the moment.
Depending on the niche, I will lose motivation before I even begin. Sometimes, the niche is either too hard, too saturated, or too small (could be a plus for some people, but I cannot into activity). I will occasionally lose motivation for a day, or sometimes longer, then I will try again, or take the easy route and ask for help. But the problem with asking for help nowadays is that money is what moves most people. So, to get good, thorough help, you gotta have money, or people won't take your problems seriously.

My remedies for lack of motivation / depression are abstinence from negative influences and masturbation. A good night's sleep also helps, but sometimes when I wake up in the morning and the sun's already out, really bothers me for some reason. I like to be up and moving at around 5 or 6 am everyday. Rain is also my favorite type of weather, it is easy to concentrate and block out negative thoughts...

I wish everyone here the best of luck with their projects and hope you all achieve your goals.
[Image: favicon.ico]CoD Glitches - Call of Duty Glitching Community
[Image: favicon.ico]CoD4 Zone - Call of Duty 4 Fan Discussion Forum
I've had this issue way too many times. This time I decided to finally get my head in it and made a mockup.
[Image: Mcllxvt.jpg]

(April 11th, 2015 at 2:04 PM)Electric2Shock Wrote: I've had this issue way too many times. This time I decided to finally get my head in it and made a mockup.
[Image: Mcllxvt.jpg]

Well finish it, because I love the look of it!
Roger that, Lieutenant!

(April 12th, 2015 at 4:41 PM)Electric2Shock Wrote: Roger that, Lieutenant!

I prefer SSgt.  Cool
Staff Sarge.

(April 13th, 2015 at 7:12 AM)Electric2Shock Wrote: Staff Sarge.

No! The army does that crap. Staff Sergeant. I had one guy call me Sarge once, he filled sandbags for a few hours until he remembered my full title. 
Well I ain't filling sandbags.

(April 16th, 2015 at 4:44 PM)Electric2Shock Wrote: Well I ain't filling sandbags.

Well, not like I could do anything about it. Tongue Nor would I care to, not anymore anyway.
Missed my deadline for the theme. Just by a little.
Grrr

Good job *claps* Tongue

Is it finished now at least?

Uhhh no actually. I haven't gone to finishing what little was left since after the holidays were over.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Motivation? Darth-Apple 5 10,638 August 4th, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple