Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Linux for ( :) :) :) :) )s?

I'm ashamed to say, but to be honest, I am kind of a ( Smile Smile Smile Smile ) at Unix. So, for ( Smile Smile Smile Smile )s like me, what distro would you recommend me trying out? I'd prefer it to be steam compatible, so out of these, which would you recommend?

lol stupid word filter. meant to say n-o-o-b-s.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
Sorry about the word filter.

As for my distribution recommendation, Fedora is probably my favorite distribution, but Ubuntu (besides the whole unity thing) is similar and is probably better for newer users. It also has a longer support cycle, which means fewer upgrades. Just remember to install "Gnome 3" before you do too much of anything else. Tongue

Be warned the Fedora 18 installer is extremely messed up. I ran it and not only did it not install Fedora but it royally eff'd up my entire hard drive. I'd recommend Mint. It's just like Ubuntu except without all the bad parts.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'll ultimately go with mint. It's compatible with most Ubuntu software (including steam, which I need), and it seems just better than Ubuntu.

It doesn't have unity, and that alone is a huge improvement.

I'd be sure to create a 32 bit wine prefix, because for some reason on Mint, under the default 64 bit prefix, no games or other large software works at all. Unfortunately I don't remember the command to do this, but it should be somewhere on the internets.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I'm considering trying out Cedega, because WINE doesn't support Pixel Shader 2.0 :|