Makestation
The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Web Design & Internet (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=62)
+--- Thread: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread (/showthread.php?tid=92)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Darth-Apple - August 23rd, 2013

So... regarding SMF hosts, createaforum seems to be the only one left that's actually any good. I think createaforum is quite nice actually. It just has an inactive support forum more than anything else, but it has good reliability and all that. It's one of the only free hosts I'd ever consider, although I have to say I am glad Makestation runs off of paid hosting.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - simlink - August 23rd, 2013

I'd be wary of inactive support, though. If there are no problems that's fine, but if things are unaswered I'd be nervous...

(August 23rd, 2013 at 8:10 PM)simlink Wrote: I'd be wary of inactive support, though. If there are no problems that's fine, but if things are unaswered I'd be nervous...

It isn't dead. It's just slower than most of the other support forums I've seen. I think it has about 10,000 posts or so. I agree, a slower forum would make me nervous if something happened to go terribly wrong.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - simlink - August 23rd, 2013

Well, that would be okay. As long as support questions are answered I'd be okay. It's if support goes un-answered I'd be nervous. I haven't seen their forums, so I cna only comment generally.

SMFnew, however. Their support was generally so-so. Not super amazing, not super terrible. Unless it dealt with questions with downtime, then it was awful...

SMFnew was better back in the day. Now they've ruined any respect they have lol.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - CreateAForum - December 19th, 2013

Have just acquired SMFNew but will be a while I would say a couple weeks before I understand and have it fully converted over to my system.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Darth-Apple - December 20th, 2013

Whoo! Congrats, glad it will finally be in good hands. Big Grin

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - simlink - December 20th, 2013

That's awesome! Finally will be in good hands. I no longer use the service, but nice to know people won't be help completely held hostage anymore with never-loading forums. Tongue

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Acko - December 23rd, 2013

So I was just about to say I heard from Cheese last night that SMFnew has been acquired... I'm actually interested.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - CreateAForum - December 26th, 2013

Have the forums back. Had to make a lot of optimizations and wrote custom scripts to get them imported into the system I use.
Also wrote a couple scripts to cleanup most of the spam bots/posts which I believe was really slowing down the old smfnew

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Darth-Apple - December 26th, 2013

Sweet, glad to hear everything is officially moved over. Big Grin Also, it's nice to see support.smfnew.com back.

Are you planning to leave SMFnew.com forums on the smfnew domain, or will everything eventually be moved over to use one system?

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - CreateAForum - December 26th, 2013

All forums are remaining on the domains that they had. They are all converted over to the same system createaforum uses.
New signups are going on smfnew2.com

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Guardian - May 28th, 2018

So many years later and it's still going on. From a previous discussion on the subject, I don't know how anyone willingly creates an SMF forum when there are plenty of better free options out there. SMF is the antique of the foruming world. Sad to see SMFnew still going strong when great services like IcyBoards die out. Sad

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - CreateAForum - May 29th, 2018

I did reach out to Icyboards owner didn't hear anything as soon as I heard the news it was closing.

So have decided to update my mybb hosting with https://www.createamybb.com now supporting MyBB 1.8.x features include full template support, page manager, custom domain parking, SSL  built in, and have a bunch of other plugins installed. Also will do free imports for Icyboards owners. And no ads for a least a couple months.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Guardian - May 29th, 2018

(May 29th, 2018 at 12:55 AM)CreateAForum Wrote: I did reach out to Icyboards owner didn't hear anything as soon as I heard the news it was closing.

So have decided to update my mybb hosting with createamybb4.com now supporting MyBB 1.8.x features include full template support, page manager, custom domain parking, SSL  built in, and have a bunch of other plugins installed. Also will do free imports for Icyboards owners. And no ads for a least a couple months.

That's great to hear! I was unaware of any other quality MyBB hosts. With IB closing and ZB going the Tapatalk route, I hope your MyBB business picks up! Definitely an underserved market now.

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - CreateAForum - May 29th, 2018

Yeah I will the only major SMF, MyBB. Tapatalk the owner has reached to me in the past but not interested in selling when everything gets merged into one system...

RE: The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread - Guardian - May 29th, 2018

(May 29th, 2018 at 1:41 AM)CreateAForum Wrote: Yeah I will the only major SMF, MyBB. Tapatalk the owner has reached to me in the past but not interested in selling when everything gets merged into one system...

Good, don't do it.

No offense, but I really don' get SMF's popularity still. Tongue