Makestation
Funeral For Windows XP - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Funeral For Windows XP (/showthread.php?tid=488)

Funeral For Windows XP - Dreadlord - September 11th, 2013

We gather here in this thread today to remember the beloved Operating System created by windows born under the name "Windows XP" and the successor to windows 2000 & windows ME. It was a good OS with "XP" meaning "eXPERIENCE" because of the enhanced user experience. Born on August 24th 2001 it is sentenced to death as it's extended support ends in April 2014 the exact date is the 8th. Many companies are updating their OS's proving that XP was a well used Operating System.

By January 2006 over 400 million copies were in use but was their bullied by it's brother Vista in 2007 as it towered over XP. Then direct OEM and retail sales of Windows XP ceased on June 30, 2008. However; Microsoft continued to sell their Operating System; XP through their system builders (smaller OEMs who sell assembled computers) program until January 31st in 2009. On April 10, 2013, Microsoft reaffirmed that extended support for Windows XP and Office 2003 would end on April 8, 2014 and suggest that administrators are to prepare to migrate to a newer Operating System.

The NT-based versions of Windows, which are programmed in C, C++ and assembly, are known for their improved stability and efficiency over the 9x version of Microsoft Windows. XP presented a significantly redesigned graphical UI, a change Microsoft promoted as more "user-friendly" than previous versions of the past versions of Windows, improved side-by-side assembly technology in XP allows side-by-side installation, registration and servicing of multiple versions of globally shared software components in full isolation. It is also the first version of Windows to use product activation to combat illegal copying; good job XP.

During Windows XP's development, it was named as a project and codenamed "Whistler", after Whistler, British Columbia as many of the Microsoft employees skiied at the Whister-Blackcomb ski resort.

According to web analytics data generated by Net Applications, Winodws Xp was the most widely used OS until August 2012, when it's younger brother Windows 7 overtook it. As of August 2013, Windows XP market share is still at a fair 33.66%, sadly having decreased almost every month since at least November 2007, the first month for which statistics are publicly available from NE (Net Applications).

And this, we will miss you oh great Windows XP.
From ~
The Whole World that has Computers (Excluding Apple).

I shall now leave you with some pictures in memory of Windows XP.

[Image: 145px-Windows_XP_Luna.png]
Windows XP Luna.

[Image: 145px-Windows_XP_Classic.png]
Windows Classic.

[Image: File:Windows_XP_Royale.png]
Windows XP Royale.

[Image: 220px-TabletPC_2004.png]
Windows Internet Explorer 6 running in Windows XP.

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Acko - September 11th, 2013

...You will be missed...

*throws flowers into the air*

...missed...

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Dreadlord - September 11th, 2013

I'm sure XP will be very honored that the Official Historian of Makestation showed up. Smile

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Darth-Apple - September 11th, 2013

...Rest in Peace, XP...

I figure this song is fitting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv0dso2bPoA

(September 11th, 2013 at 5:13 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: XP

Hey, no making funny faces at the funeral!

OK.

RIP, Windows Experience? (if that's what it stands for)

How about, RIP, The Best Ever Most Serene Rex Windows.

Windows eXPERIENCE actually. Be more respectful. (lawl)

I went to the Apple Mac Developer's HQ and got their response;

[Image: apple-cheering2.jpg]

LOL I gotta work for that place someday. Tongue

For now, we mourn XP's death.

Err, I mean, yes, we should all continue paying our respects to the eXPERIENCE the Great.

How dare you say that at a funeral! *Beat with Windows XP recovery disk*.

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - spork985 - September 12th, 2013

I am still using Windows XP on a few machines and do not ever intend to upgrade them. It's a solid resource-friendly operating system for where Windows 7 crap doesn't matter, such as my print server and my weather cam servers.

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Dreadlord - September 12th, 2013

Keep going strong spork. ;')

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - AtlasWest - September 20th, 2013

I didn't realize there was a thread on Windows XP... but just recently wrote my thoughts about XP ending in a different thread. I agree though, RIP Windows XP. But hey, its had a longer user base / lifespan than any other operating system out there, and that's an achievement that won't be easily forgotten.

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Damian B. - September 21st, 2013

We are still using Windows XP because it's much faster than Vista/7.
Well, Windows Vista just.....sucks.

RE: Funeral For Windows XP - Warwick - September 21st, 2013

When did it die? It says that support will end in 2014...