Makestation
[Debate] Hobby cooks among you? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: [Debate] Hobby cooks among you? (/showthread.php?tid=3489)

Hobby cooks among you? - tc4me - March 30th, 2021

My career aspirations were always clear, either a car mechanic or a cook :-) doesn't fit together at all, but that's how I wanted it. At the age of 14 I already had 2 apprenticeships, an apprenticeship as a cook at the Intercontinentel Hotel or a mechanic apprenticeship in your 5-man workshop at home around the corner. My friend, who was a cook at Intercont, then advised me not to study in a large kitchen. So I became a car mechanic and a car electrician. I have never given up my cooking desires, I already cooked food when I was 10 years old, and so I have been doing it as a hobby of bakeries and cooking for more than 40 years. I also liked to cook and bake at the fire brigade, and always according to feeling, never according to recipe. How are you guys? Do you cook and bake too? lg Tc4me

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - SpookyZalost - March 30th, 2021

I cook, in fact I've been teaching others to cook because my family taught me to cook from a young age.

I often cook by taste and appearance rather than a recipe using that as more of a guide than anything.

it's something I do by instinct more than anything...

of course when someone has been using a recipe and doesn't know the other teaching them is at first an exercise in getting them to forget a lot of stuff first so they can learn to do it freeform instead.

there's huge advantages in this method too because it means you can theoretically cook anything and make it taste good with enough practice.

I also take pride in being able to cook given the number of people in my generation who either can't or rely on microwave food over making something themselves.

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - Guardian - April 1st, 2021

Absolutely shite at cooking. My mom rarely cooked and if she did, I wasn't allowed to be around. I just had to clean it up afterwards. So, no teacher, and anything I do I have to use recipes.

Thankfully my wife does most of our cooking. Tongue

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - tc4me - April 1st, 2021

What I like to do is grilling in summer, what we Central Europeans lack is REAL GRILLING LIKE BURGER ... we lack the right ingredients, with us they only want vegetables to shit on the grill, I don't feel like the grill belongs to meat and not the food of my food :-)

@Guardian it's okay too, if cooking isn't fun then you shouldn't do it, as always in life, no fun no work

@SpookyZalost  yeaaaa yes then I'll get tips on barbecuing :-)

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - Guardian - April 2nd, 2021

(April 1st, 2021 at 11:32 AM)tc4me Wrote: What I like to do is grilling in summer, what we Central Europeans lack is REAL GRILLING LIKE BURGER ... we lack the right ingredients, with us they only want vegetables to shit on the grill, I don't feel like the grill belongs to meat and not the food of my food :-)

I don't grill either... because I can make vegetables more efficiently not on the grill.

Disclaimer: I don't eat meat.

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - SpookyZalost - April 3rd, 2021

@Guardian I have a great grilled mushroom burger recipe for you, completely meatless, very tasty.

basically you marinate those large mushrooms (shiitake i think?) in a vinnegret or similar dressing overnight so it soaks in, then grill them.

it makes them amazingly tasty to use as an alternative to meat on burgers.

it's definitely a taste you won't get without grilling them since that draws out the flavor even more.

I recommend trying this with a raspberry vinnegret.

@tc4me BBQ? easy, heck I know how to make my own mesquite charcoal and have experimented with it a bit>

and yes I prefer charcoal to propane for BBQ and Grilling stuff outdoors, I have a really nice grill that was my grandfather's but since he hardly used it I ended up using it more and getting skilled with it.

fun fact, you can practice telling a meat's state between rare and well done by using your hand to learn how the meat's texture feels at a touch.

thumb to fore finger/index finger is rare then each finger on down to pinky which is well done.

just push on the space between your thumb and fore finger/index finger, you'll notice it has less give and more toughness as you move towards your pinky.

meat cooks the same way, it goes from a fleshy soft to a toughness the more you cook it.

if you can master that BBQ is easy, just patience and knowing to tell the difference.

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - tc4me - April 3rd, 2021

@SpookyZalost Perfekt :-)

Video tutorial would be funny, like watching TV, cooking for dummiesv Finna Finna Finna

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - SpookyZalost - April 3rd, 2021

@tc4me maybe someday... I'd need to improve my german for subtitles first lol.

RE: Hobby cooks among you? - tc4me - April 3rd, 2021

@SpookyZalost  or like here    Finna Finna Finna