Makestation
Essential Oils? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: Lifestyle (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=130)
+--- Thread: Essential Oils? (/showthread.php?tid=3259)

Essential Oils? - Darth-Apple - December 1st, 2020

I have NEVER been a believer. I swore up and down it was snake oil. And most of it probably is, but I was anything but correct about them on a broad scale. 

I found some oil the other day to treat an ongoing sinus infection. Mind you, no other medication has been able to treat it. Not even prescription antibiotics could wipe it out as fast as essential oil based ones did. And one of them cleared up my sinuses within about two minutes of applying. They cleared up so fast that it actually hurt with how fast they drained. 

No medication has ever done that before. It was literally instant. Drained completely within about two minutes. I was completely and totally shocked.

I think I might have gone from a skeptic to a believer. There might actually be something to this stuff. 

Anyone else tried these before? What were your experiences?

RE: Essential Oils? - Guardian - December 1st, 2020

My wife is actually a certified clinical aromatherapist (using essential oils). Tongue A lot of her in-home remedies use them as ingredients or topical applications.

According to her, yes, they work. IF USED CORRECTLY. She sees a lot of people pushing false fixes because they're trying to sell them (MLMs), and a lot of people using them dangerously. So, according to her, just make sure you consult with someone that actually knows what they're doing.

RE: Essential Oils? - Darth-Apple - December 2nd, 2020

That's been my concern. Mine were from a company called Young Living (family sent me one to try), and if I understand correctly, YL is one of the worst offenders of the MLM scheme. No documentation or scientific proof for anything, but whatever the case may be, that bottle sure did work. Better than any medicine I've ever taken, save for the exuberant MLM costs.

I'm curious which ones your wife uses/where she buys them. I'm definitely going to do some more research on these now.

RE: Essential Oils? - s3_gunzel - December 2nd, 2020

Essential Oils can work.

MLM shilling through Young Living and doTerra is a scrounge on society.

I’ve had some first hand experiences with MLMs. Amway tried recruiting me some number of years back. It was a lot of empty promises and vague marketing. And they don’t tell you anything about what they actually do until you’re already knee deep into the process and can’t back out easily.

YL seems to make a good product as far as I can tell. I don’t really trust the company, but their oils do seem to be (at least) legit. Just exuberantly expensive, prohibitively expensive and it pays for the MLM. I’d rather pay the company to make a good product, rather than paying through an entire pyramid of MLM “business owners” Finna

RE: Essential Oils? - Guardian - December 2nd, 2020

(December 2nd, 2020 at 2:11 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: That's been my concern. Mine were from a company called Young Living (family sent me one to try), and if I understand correctly, YL is one of the worst offenders of the MLM scheme. No documentation or scientific proof for anything, but whatever the case may be, that bottle sure did work. Better than any medicine I've ever taken, save for the exuberant MLM costs.

I'm curious which ones your wife uses/where she buys them. I'm definitely going to do some more research on these now.

My wife's actually bought some from those sellers, but for the most part she has other companies she uses. The oil is the oil, its just the recommendations that come with them (dumb sellers) that isn't safe.

(December 2nd, 2020 at 7:45 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: Essential Oils can work.

Her big issue with the essential oil ones is that people are hawking products without understanding the science behind them, and how and why they work in situations, and when otherwise safe oils can be dangerous to certain people.

My wife actually does an MLM for nails (ColorStreet), but did it more for the discount. Tongue Many MLMs are trash, most have not-so-straightforward practices. Not all of them are necessarily the scrounge, as (some) do help women make money they might otherwise not.

RE: Essential Oils? - s3_gunzel - December 2nd, 2020

(December 2nd, 2020 at 2:12 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(December 2nd, 2020 at 7:45 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: Essential Oils can work.

Her big issue with the essential oil ones is that people are hawking products without understanding the science behind them, and how and why they work in situations, and when otherwise safe oils can be dangerous to certain people.

My wife actually does an MLM for nails (ColorStreet), but did it more for the discount. Tongue Many MLMs are trash, most have not-so-straightforward practices. Not all of them are necessarily the scrounge, as (some) do help women make money they might otherwise not.

MLMs also generally assist stay-at-hone parents to get into a tonne of credit card debt because they’re sold a dream.

There is an Aptiv near my hometown that does this. They sell pesticides door to door, and it's all 18 year olds who are flashy and drive mercedes Benz everywhere they go, but rent the cars and switch them out every three weeks. After talking to them, it turns out they don't actually make much from their sales. They get a cut from everyone else's sales who they recruited to work under them, and therefore, their entire business model is around exploiting and recruiting as many people as possible.

Somehow, the people at the top manage to "make" six figures (selling pesticides, just think). But everyone else is just screwed. And their employees aren't the nicest people. They're quite arrogant and seem quite detached with reality around them, so everyone in my town just sort of laughs at them. Finna

I've noticed that not all MLMs are this bad. YL and Amway aren't the way Aptiv is by any means, and their sellers are much nicer people. They're selling real products rather than pesticides too, so there's that. Tongue

In terms of sales, MLMs are honestly probably quite effective. I just find the prices to be so inflated and it's very difficult to actually make money within them.

RE: Essential Oils? - s3_gunzel - December 3rd, 2020

Amway is a cult. It’s ostensibly worse than your stock MLM.

RE: Essential Oils? - Megan - December 3rd, 2020

I've tried some over the years. Some can work really nice. Though often I just like the smell. XD But I have used some to help with headaches, or stress.

RE: Essential Oils? - Guardian - December 3rd, 2020

(December 2nd, 2020 at 10:49 PM)s3_gunzel Wrote: MLMs also generally assist stay-at-hone parents to get into a tonne of credit card debt because they’re sold a dream.
MOST of them, yes. There is a small selection that don't. But, generally the structure of the schemes have a tendency to attract conmen (at the top) looking to take advantage of others.

(December 2nd, 2020 at 11:13 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: In terms of sales, MLMs are honestly probably quite effective. I just find the prices to be so inflated and it's very difficult to actually make money within them.

I think those with unique products/services actually do well... for a while. They eventually will get out-competed by traditional formats that don't have all the middlemen costs in the price and. To scale, even high overhead costs will eventually beat the middle-levels of the "pyramid."

(December 3rd, 2020 at 4:35 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: Amway is a cult. It’s ostensibly worse than your stock MLM.

This one FOR SURE.

RE: Essential Oils? - s3_gunzel - December 3rd, 2020

(December 3rd, 2020 at 6:29 PM)Guardian Wrote: MOST of them, yes.

I did say ‘generally’.

I’d still heavily advise against anything that is network marketing based.

RE: Essential Oils? - SpookyZalost - December 4th, 2020

hey here's a question for @Darth-Apple

if essential oils worked to clear out your sinuses, have you tried chili peppers?

like jalapeno slices or something which work really fast.

or cherry peppers which are a nice sweet and spicy thing which also work well.

RE: Essential Oils? - tc4me - December 4th, 2020

(December 1st, 2020 at 7:57 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I have NEVER been a believer. I swore up and down it was snake oil. And most of it probably is, but I was anything but correct about them on a broad scale. 

I found some oil the other day to treat an ongoing sinus infection. Mind you, no other medication has been able to treat it. Not even prescription antibiotics could wipe it out as fast as essential oil based ones did. And one of them cleared up my sinuses within about two minutes of applying. They cleared up so fast that it actually hurt with how fast they drained. 

No medication has ever done that before. It was literally instant. Drained completely within about two minutes. I was completely and totally shocked.

I think I might have gone from a skeptic to a believer. There might actually be something to this stuff. 

Anyone else tried these before? What were your experiences?

@Darth-Apple 

Good morning Darth Apple, my sister-in-law is a qualified nurse in hospital ENT (ear, nose and throat). 
https://klinik-donaustadt.gesundheitsverbund.at/leistung/hals-nasen-ohren-abteilung/

I asked her that a friend of mine (you) had a sinus infection. She says: The most important thing is a medical diagnosis. a treatment with medication if the infection is bacterial, and the simplest is a heat treatment and also to ensure that as much fluid as possible can run out of the nose! No nasal drops that promote dehydration. Nasal rinsing with salt water or sea salt nasal rinsing or drops, inhale over hot water vapor, keep living room humidity high, or the easiest way to use an infrared lamp several times a day. Irradiate forehead, nose and ears! Normally it shouldn't take longer than 8-12 weeks, if it does you should go through it again !!!

RE: Essential Oils? - Darth-Apple - December 4th, 2020

Thank you for the tips/advice @tc4me. Just glad these seem to be normal! This has been such a long term thing that I've been very worried.

Recorded another vocal tonight, my voice was extremely strong compared to how it's been in past months. It's a good indicator I'm getting better. ENT said that my throat is starting to heal up also, which is good news indeed.

RE: Essential Oils? - tc4me - December 4th, 2020

(December 4th, 2020 at 6:51 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Thank you for the tips/advice @tc4me. Just glad these seem to be normal! This has been such a long term thing that I've been very worried.

Recorded another vocal tonight, my voice was extremely strong compared to how it's been in past months. It's a good indicator I'm getting better. ENT said that my throat is starting to heal up also, which is good news indeed.

I am glad that it is on the way to recovery!

tc4me