Makestation
Minecraft - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Makestation Community Related (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Simmania (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=105)
+---- Forum: Other Games (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Thread: Minecraft (/showthread.php?tid=2802)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Minecraft - Darth-Apple - March 24th, 2020

Any of you guys play Minecraft around here? 

I do occasionally with my youngest brother. It's a bond we have anytime I'm near my family's town. I've long been considering making a server, was wondering if anyone already had one or would be interested in teaming up for one?

RE: Minecraft - SpookyZalost - March 24th, 2020

I would, the newest beta adds tons of stuff, I still play it from time to time lol.

RE: Minecraft - Darvince - March 24th, 2020

I have been a frequent player for a long time, playing mostly on two different small-ish multiplayer servers. If makestation had a server I might play on it occasionally, although I couldn't make any promises about, say, playing it every Saturday evening or anything like that.

I've seen a lot of the new content in the 1.16 snapshots, it's pretty neat! What interests me the most since I don't spend much time in the Nether when I play (although surely I might spend more in it after the update) is that there is now capability to have 3D biomes in the code, as the new Nether biomes are 3-dimensional.

RE: Minecraft - Guardian - March 24th, 2020

I still dabble from time to time. Its a good time waster. Same as Darvince, I'd hop on but unsure about how I'd be able to commit to it.

I don't like people ruining my stuff, but at the same time it takes forever to do it by yourself. Tongue

Hehe, that's why I build sequestered bases with secret doorways and booby trapped entrances for Invaders.

Like, you walk into a corridor and you're Midway down it when the floor opens up to death while you're too far to jump lol.

Or the ever classic obsidian wall crusher... Or better yet, one that drops you into an end portal pre nether dragon defeat.

I love building traps for dungeon delvers.

Heck that last one post dragon is just an elaborate way to return people to their respawn points lol

RE: Minecraft - Guardian - March 24th, 2020

I have no idea how to do ANY of that. Tongue

Redstone, and a lot of planning (◠‿◕)

RE: Minecraft - Lain - March 24th, 2020

I'd f*** commit
Real OG shit, I still play relatively actively, although it's usually in modpacks like Tekkit or Hexxit to make it more like an RPG.
I've played on some vanilla servers too, and that was fun.

Then again, it's getting people to join that's the problem, and MC server costs aren't always great; most cheap servers use shared hosting and Minecraft isn't exactly friendly with low memory machines. Leaks like a sieve, especially if you try to make a mob farm or breed 50 cows or whatever.

RE: Minecraft - Darth-Apple - March 24th, 2020

We'd grab a VPS (or likely just use the old Makestation server once we move to the new one) and host it that way. I might have to upgrade the RAM if we go that route, but Ramnode has some very cheap plans. It wouldn't be fantastic, but it would definitely be better and more reliable than shared hosting.

If we could get three or four people who were willing to try it out (and I think we already have that), I'll consider trying to set one up after this semester is done for (or provide the server if someone else wants to help set it up). I'd probably use it and invite my youngest brother on it as well.

RE: Minecraft - Kyng - March 31st, 2020

I first played it in 2011, and I've had plenty of happy hours on it Tongue .

For the first few months, I was addicted: it was my main game from roughly May 2011 to June 2012. Then, the updates dried out for a while, and I began drifting off to other games. It's a game I still come back to periodically; however, I'm pretty badly out of the loop at this point (there's probably plenty of content I don't know about from 1.8 onwards Tongue !)

Still, I am getting back into it, in part because of the COVID-19 isolation.

RE: Minecraft - Darth-Apple - April 1st, 2020

Yea it has not changed enough for me. I enjoy using mods. It makes it much more enjoyable to me. I genuinely enjoy the survival part though, and it kinda takes the fun out of it when you can cheat through it.

Lately I've been just digging down to diamonds and collecting a ton of them and focusing on that. I want to do an underwater house at some point too, but that's going to be a pain.

RE: Minecraft - SpookyZalost - April 1st, 2020

@darth. I can say from experience that underwater bases aren't that difficult... In fact the easiest way to build one is to first put down a door... This acts as your air supply. Then you level the area you want to build in. Shape it in sand/gravel before you build the shell. Then finally dig the sand/gravel out. If anyone remembers my underwater domes from years ago, that's how I build them... Never was more happy to have a few diamond shovels.

RE: Minecraft - Guardian - April 1st, 2020

(April 1st, 2020 at 2:50 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @darth.  I can say from experience that underwater bases aren't that difficult... In fact the easiest way to build one is to first put down a door... This acts as your air supply.  Then you level the area you want to build in.  Shape it in sand/gravel before you build the shell.  Then finally dig the sand/gravel out.  If anyone remembers my underwater domes from years ago, that's how I build them... Never was more happy to have a few diamond shovels.

I had never thought of that, but wanted to do an underwater base as well. This... why didn't I think of this. I'll have to try it next time I play.
(April 1st, 2020 at 12:48 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I genuinely enjoy the survival part though, and it kinda takes the fun out of it when you can cheat through it.

Same. Sometimes it takes forever then I switch to cheat or a minute, and it ruins the whole playthrough for me, so I start over. I need to remember never to switch cheats on... it just kills it. Just deal with the grind.

RE: Minecraft - SpookyZalost - April 2nd, 2020

(April 1st, 2020 at 1:04 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(April 1st, 2020 at 2:50 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @darth.  I can say from experience that underwater bases aren't that difficult... In fact the easiest way to build one is to first put down a door... This acts as your air supply.  Then you level the area you want to build in.  Shape it in sand/gravel before you build the shell.  Then finally dig the sand/gravel out.  If anyone remembers my underwater domes from years ago, that's how I build them... Never was more happy to have a few diamond shovels.

I had never thought of that, but wanted to do an underwater base as well. This... why didn't I think of this. I'll have to try it next time I play.

(April 1st, 2020 at 12:48 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I genuinely enjoy the survival part though, and it kinda takes the fun out of it when you can cheat through it.

Same. Sometimes it takes forever then I switch to cheat or a minute, and it ruins the whole playthrough for me, so I start over. I need to remember never to switch cheats on... it just kills it. Just deal with the grind.

This is why my underwater base method works well.
In leveling the sea floor you get a ton of material to use for the mold and it's easy enough to do in survival...
Plus only a few mobs spawn under water and the hostile ones are usually location specific.
Tbh I've thought about trying one somewhere remote on a pvp server, the deeper beneath the waves the better because of the decrease in vision from water and the difficulty getting so deep without prep work.
I've found sub oceanic ravines at level 12 before that would be perfect lol.

RE: Minecraft - Lain - April 2nd, 2020

just grind the underwater stronghold things and get sponges to soak up water desu

RE: Minecraft - SpookyZalost - April 2nd, 2020

I guess... Though I still prefer my method... If only because I've been using it since before the underwater temples were a thing lol... Actually it's even easier to hide a base now... Kelp forests

RE: Minecraft - Lain - April 2nd, 2020

(April 2nd, 2020 at 6:59 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I guess... Though I still prefer my method... If only because I've been using it since before the underwater temples were a thing lol... Actually it's even easier to hide a base now... Kelp forests

the only real way i've seen people hide their bases on anarchy servers is to build underground relatively deep underwater, but then surround their (underground) base with lava.
stops xrayers from seeing into your base because xray renders lava, and for the kids using chest ESPs, well, they need to get through that lava first, and by then you've either caught them or admins can check server logs lol
pretty good strat, IMO.

RE: Minecraft - Darvince - April 2nd, 2020

I thought doors could be waterlogged now? Or are they exempt from that?