Makestation
Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? (/showthread.php?tid=2720)

Pages: 1 2 3

Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - February 16th, 2020

I have a $50 tablet (Kindle Fire HD 8, the larger version that I found on sale). And it runs circles around most computers from 15 years ago. I started programming on one of those computers. It was powered by a 600 mhz Pentium 3. Let's just say that it was slow enough that it would take ten seconds just to load an image. You'd see a progress bar pop up showing you how much time it had left to load an image. 

That said, that old Pentium 3 box was very, very responsive for what it was. It didn't feel slow until you tried to do anything with it. It'd load up a web browser or respond to the UI like it was a modern machine. 

Tablets have kinda changed the landscape a bit. They are easy. You can carry them with you easily, have a little keyboard attached, and call it a day. They last a week on a single charge, and can do almost anything a computer could do. 

People are already using iPads for this. Would you use a modern tablet to replace your laptop? If not yet, do you think the answer will be yes in five years? 

Oh, and in five years, the iPad will probably steal a lot of market share from laptops, I'm sure... iOS is still lacking compared to Mac OS, however. It's getting there, but it's still a tablet, not a computer OS, and that is something android is ahead of Apple on currently. Finna

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Guardian - February 16th, 2020

I can't do it. Tongue

If I can hook it up to a monitor, mouse, and keyboard, sure. Other than that... no thanks. At that point though... I can just get a desktop I can upgrade at will.

Maybe I'm just old... Tongue

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Juneberry - February 16th, 2020

I do like tablets, but I still feel the most comfortable writing with my computer, partially because some programs I use only work on a desk or laptop and not on mobile/tablet type devices.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - SpookyZalost - February 17th, 2020

I primarily use my kindle fire 10in tablet combined with a solar powered bluetooth keyboard.
both fit my satchel easily and the case I got for the tablet allows me to stand it up and use it the same as a laptop without issue.

my biggest complaint is the lack of expansionability and how you're kinda stuck to the tablet form factor...

if they come out with a kindle fire or something similar that has dual USB type C ports at least... then I would be a lot happier.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - February 17th, 2020

I’m glad to see you using kindle fires too. They are a great deal for the price, honestly! They are awesome tablets.

Did you get the Google Play store on yours yet? It used to be a bit of a process. It’s pretty easy nowadays. That was the main issue I had with the older ones.

Still don’t like how they lock them down so much, but it’s whatever. If it makes them cheap, I’m all game for them. Finna

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - SpookyZalost - February 17th, 2020

@darth: I've had my kindle since 2016, that's the first thing I did lol.

though my biggest frustration is getting bluetooth joystick support working because the mini USB port doesn't support data and charging simultaneously (this the request for type C).

otherwise I'd hook up my dual shock 4 to my tablet and use retro arch to game on it Big Grin

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - JennyorAlice - March 21st, 2020

I've got a Kindle Fire (don't remember which number it is). I got it 2 years ago this month actually. I have all my e-books on it and I use it only for reading.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - March 21st, 2020

(March 21st, 2020 at 2:05 PM)JennyorAlice Wrote: I've got a Kindle Fire (don't remember which number it is).  I got it 2 years ago this month actually.  I have all my e-books on it and I use it only for reading.

They're great for reading! Kindle on a computer is almost unusable. I've never had one of those E-ink readers, but the Kindle Fire is much cheaper and can do much more.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - SpookyZalost - March 21st, 2020

(March 21st, 2020 at 3:47 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(March 21st, 2020 at 2:05 PM)JennyorAlice Wrote: I've got a Kindle Fire (don't remember which number it is).  I got it 2 years ago this month actually.  I have all my e-books on it and I use it only for reading.

They're great for reading! Kindle on a computer is almost unusable. I've never had one of those E-ink readers, but the Kindle Fire is much cheaper and can do much more.
If you've ever used the 2010 kindle Paperwhite, it's an e-ink reader... Though it has a keyboard and reminds me of a padd from star trek roflol.  So does the early barns and Noble nook now that I think about it...  Bah, I like having my Paperwhite, it doesn't use power until I scroll the screen or type and it's nearly indestructible, it's why I use it to put diagrams and stuff on when I'm working on something.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Plushy - March 24th, 2020

A normal tablet, nah. Unpractical for work, irrelevant for media consuming if you already have a decent phone or a smart tv or tv with roku/chormecast.

For reading I have an old kindle 4 that's nice since is exclusively for reading without distractions like apps or music.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - SpookyZalost - April 11th, 2020

See now I want a magnetic clamp for my tablet at my work desk with wireless charging...

Ideally multiple so I can have my various devices within reach.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - April 11th, 2020

There are various docking stations now that are going for this idea. I have one myself, and it's a godsend. Holds my kindle fire, phone, and laptop all in one place.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - SpookyZalost - April 11th, 2020

Mostly I just want my Kindle at eye level for twitch stream watching during my shift. and my tinkering desk to have the Paperwhite as a dock able device, maybe when I get around to the redesign of my living quarters I've been toying with.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - MofaMF - April 11th, 2020

I like them but for certain things. I like working at a computer for sure!

Hey, what do you guys think of 2 in one laptop/tablet hybrids like the Lenovo yoga?

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - April 11th, 2020

I love that laptop! It's a little pricy. If I'm gonna pay that much, I'm gonna ditch windows and get a Mac, but I think they're the future of laptops. Without a doubt.

@darth, my favorite is the x series where the screen rotates but those aren't made really, guess the folding hinge is more popular, honestly once I get my Jeep going I want to pick one up because I want to run old games with touchscreen like on my desktop lol.

RE: Would you use a tablet instead of a computer in 2020? - Darth-Apple - April 12th, 2020

The folding ones are used even on the expensive ones, such as the Surface. And the surface series is nice. Microsoft has had a lot of gimmicks that didn't work out, but the Surface was one of their better products.