Makestation
FTP Client - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: FTP Client (/showthread.php?tid=227)

FTP Client - Acko - June 30th, 2013

What FTP Client do you use? I use FileZilla as it's the most popular and I just plain like it Tongue

Re: FTP Client - Darth-Apple - June 30th, 2013

I almost always use filezilla as well. At times I have used SSH instead of FTP for file transfer, and I've used windows explorer before as well.

Re: FTP Client - CreateAForum - July 1st, 2013

WinSCP since works with windows/linux and sftp. If a lot of files I like SmartFTP due to multiple thread support and some custom setttings.

Re: FTP Client - Darth-Apple - July 1st, 2013

sFTP is really the way to go if you are able to use it. Most shared hosts use standard FTP, so that is what a lot of people are familiar with. Luckily I'm not using shared hosting, so I am able to use sFTP easily.

I actually crashed a VPS I was setting up for someone once by using a faulty configuration of vsftpd. It's an easy thing to accidentally corrupt, and creating all of the FTP users one by one is a real pain. Sftp solves a lot of problems. Tongue

Re: FTP Client - simlink - July 1st, 2013

I've only ever used Filezilla, personally. It works.  Tongue

Re: FTP Client - Acko - July 1st, 2013

Also note I only use FTP because I have a either a choice of File Manager or FTP for my Minecraft server. And although I think File Manager is more suited for this, I really lean towards FTP since it is more professional imo.

Re: FTP Client - Darth-Apple - July 1st, 2013

File manager is much harder to use as well. I actually don't even have the option to use file manager for makestation because I purchased unmanaged hosting and don't get cPAnel, but what's really nice is that I get direct SSH access and some great hosting for a much lower price, since I'm not paying for all of the little details I don't really need anyway.

RE: FTP Client - Marc - August 4th, 2013

(June 30th, 2013 at 6:34 PM)t3haco Wrote: What FTP Client do you use?
I use Core FTP Lite. Pro is free (lifetime free trail, that is), however, you have to wait a long time before you can take advantage of the program. Oh, and the wait gets longer with every use. Today it's 2 minutes, tomorrow it'll be 4 minutes, and the next day - 8 minutes. Crazy stuff, hence the reason I use Lite.

(June 30th, 2013 at 6:34 PM)t3haco Wrote: I use FileZilla as it's the most popular and I just plain like it Tongue
FileZilla gave the world of problems on my old dual-core desktop running on Windows Vista. I tried it out on my new quad-core Windows 7 laptop and I'm still encountering some issues with the program. For a start, it uploads files VERY slow.

Other times it uploads files pretty quick. I tested the same FTP details with another FTP program and everything worked fine. I guess it was a problem with the firewall or something.

(July 1st, 2013 at 9:14 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: File manager is much harder to use as well. I actually don't even have the option to use file manager for makestation because I purchased unmanaged hosting and don't get cPAnel, but what's really nice is that I get direct SSH access and some great hosting for a much lower price, since I'm not paying for all of the little details I don't really need anyway.

I also don't use cPanel unless I purchase shared hosting. It's a lot of money to keep renewing a cPanel license yearly. Plus, there are other free alternatives, however, it will consume server resources that can be used for your website(s).