Makestation
Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Trackball mouse for custom PC build (/showthread.php?tid=1858)

Trackball mouse for custom PC build - SpookyZalost - October 17th, 2017

so I've been experimenting with some ideas and I wanted some feedback on this, I kind of miss the first mouse I ever used, a trackball and I was thinking of doing something custom

[Image: FyHSnxF.png]

something like that, so it has a wrist rest, 3 buttons, and a scroll wheel along with a trackball for movement... I'm thinking of mounting this along side a keyboard in a floating configuration instead of a traditional desk

so any thoughts on this design? maybe some ways I can improve on it?

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Guardian - October 17th, 2017

I actually like that.

A toss up between the scroll wheel location and between the 1st and 2nd buttons, but maybe I'm just preferable to mine. Tongue

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - SpookyZalost - October 18th, 2017

ironically I did end up finding one sorta like this

[Image: Kensington-Expert-Wireless-Mouse-with-Wrist-Rest.jpg]

the bottom two buttons are the left and right mouse buttons, top left is middle mouse button, top right is button 4? (not sure what that's for), and the ring around the trackball is the scroll wheel... kind of ingenious in it's own way, I'm still looking into making my own but for now this works rather well

by the way... building a DIY mouse is actually rather difficult to source parts from without tearing one down lol... but I'm seriously looking into maybe getting a used one to source the board from.

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Guardian - October 18th, 2017

Looks nice! That scroll ring is pretty cool.

(October 18th, 2017 at 4:38 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: by the way... building a DIY mouse is actually rather difficult to source parts from without tearing one down lol... but I'm seriously looking into maybe getting a used one to source the board from.

I bet!

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Darth-Apple - October 19th, 2017

You know what would be dope... A trackball desk, where you move your chair to move the mouse on your screen, attached with VR. The virtual reality computer, where moving literally does move your mouse. Tongue

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Guardian - October 19th, 2017

(October 19th, 2017 at 8:03 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: You know what would be dope... A trackball desk, where you move your chair to move the mouse on your screen, attached with VR. The virtual reality computer, where moving literally does move your mouse. Tongue

Interesting concept. Could be a promoter of some physical activity. 

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - SpookyZalost - October 21st, 2017

lol hans do you know about the virtuix omni?

[Image: virtuix-omni-kickstarter1.jpg]

that's literally it's purpose lol

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - Guardian - October 21st, 2017

Oh that's cool!!! Cool

RE: Trackball mouse for custom PC build - SpookyZalost - October 24th, 2017

right?!