Makestation
Cyberpunk Disussion thread - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Cyberpunk Disussion thread (/showthread.php?tid=1499)

Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - May 19th, 2017

so I've decided to port this over from simmania for anyone interested, the following links are comprehensive in explaining and expositioning cyberpunk as a whole.
it's an entertainment medium, an intellectual curiosity, and for some a lifestyle.

What is cyberpunk
Examples of cyberpunk works
The Cyberpunk Database

now that that's all out of the way, let's begin... let's talk about cyberpunk media you are interested in, how does it affect your view of the world, or maybe just how close the cyberpunk and real worlds are?

in other words, what is cyberpunk to you?

[Image: 18yptzqv5fdd8jpg.jpg]

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - Guardian - May 19th, 2017

Seeing all that, it's crazy to imagine how really portable the functionality/features of everything above really is now.

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - May 20th, 2017

haha yeah, that was mostly a joke in mondo 2000 way back in the day lol.

but as a science fiction entertainment medium it's quite fascinating because it's not in the far future, it's like 20 or 30 years from now.

and a lot of the books that were written 20 or 30 years ago that started it are somewhat coming true, it's bizarre!

"Cyberpunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that features advanced science and technology in an urban, dystopian future. On one side you have powerful mega-corporations and private security forces, and on the other you have the dark and gritty underworld of illegal trade, gangs, drugs, and vice. In between all of this is politics, corruption, and social upheaval."

hit's kinda close to home doesn't it?

mix that in with cybernetics, AI, and all the weirdness that comes with ubiquitous access to advanced technology everywhere and you get cyberpunk.

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - May 25th, 2017

Cyberpunk is a reality here today though, we've got experimental crystal storage.
Bit coin and the like is growing in popularity.
corporations rule everything.
hell our president is a corporate CEO and ex-gameshow host.

given the reach so many mega-corps have, It won't be much longer until corporate start buying and owning public services like the police because states can't afford to pay them enough.

Furthermore robotics are influencing our world heavily, we've got droids for police, learning humanoid robots that will soon be doing chores and helping take care of us, and drones are becoming used more and more all the time for just about anything you can imagine.
I'm sure I've read at least a few cyberpunk stories with most if not all of these concepts.

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - Guardian - June 9th, 2018

Any new Cyberpunk workings lately Z?

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - June 10th, 2018

not for me personally unless you count tinkering with remote control overrides using raspi 3's and my amazon tablet via shell, but I've been watching electric dreams on amazon Cool very cyberpunk, there's been a lot more cyberpunk stuff coming out on the streaming services lately, if you have netflix check out altered carbon, the books were great and the show's very very cool Big Grin

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - Guardian - June 10th, 2018

(June 10th, 2018 at 3:01 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ...watching electric dreams on amazon Cool very cyberpunk, there's been a lot more cyberpunk stuff coming out on the streaming services lately, if you have netflix check out altered carbon, the books were great and the show's very very cool Big Grin

I'll have to check those out! I've seen the Altered Carbon icon, just never clicked it.

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - February 22nd, 2019

so anyone ever looked into cyberpunk culture?

it's actually really varied with a mixture of all sorts of other subcultures within it from Japanese cyberpunk (and cyberpunk anime fans within that), to DIY techie culture to a sort of grey area hacker culture which uses a lot of cyberpunk works as an influence for their methods and practices (Down with the megacorps Cool)

RE: Cyberpunk Disussion thread - SpookyZalost - July 2nd, 2020

So I have a question.

what is the punk element of Cyberpunk?

because for me I think it's the innate rebellion against society and corporate control, the way the stories have the person down on their luck fighting the system and surviving a crisis.

It's how I'm starting to feel lately regarding the world too, doubly so because we live in a world now with wearable computers, Cybernetic augments, AI, corporate control, and a surveillance state.
combined with a world altering crisis it's straight out of one of those novels.