Makestation
Do you still use an optical drive? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Technical Arts (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Technology & Hardware (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Do you still use an optical drive? (/showthread.php?tid=132)

Do you still use an optical drive? - Gmdykfuiygh66476 - June 9th, 2013

Yes, because some things I do still require them. But I very hardly use them anymore, maybe once every two months. They are becoming very outdated with USB sticks and just downloading software and even games instead of buying a physical copy of them.

You?

Re: Do you still use an optical drive? - Darth-Apple - June 9th, 2013

I use them occasionally, but it's usually to rip a new CD or install some software. Maybe once a month or so it's actually used.

Re: Do you still use an optical drive? - Acko - June 9th, 2013

like every two years D:

Re: Do you still use an optical drive? - Durfsurn - June 22nd, 2013

A lot! Sim City 4 everyday Big Grin. I never bought a Steam copy but I really should.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - SpookyZalost - April 4th, 2020

I still use optical drives, every machine I own has one except my tablet and my smartphone...

but all my desktops and laptops have em! Cool

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - Darth-Apple - April 5th, 2020

I love that mine still has one. My 2012 MacBook has one. I rarely use it. But it would feel almost wrong not having one, and the times I do use it I’m glad I have it. It’s nice having one.

That’s said, 12 years from now it’s gonna the the new floppy drive.

All this time has passed at least from time to time, they have their use. 700MB isn’t a lot but it once fit games comfortably. 4.7GB should be, but now games are 50+ alone.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - SpookyZalost - April 5th, 2020

@darth, you know I'm surprised Blu Ray internal drives haven't caught on... It's one thing that's been particularly frustrating to me because they're getting harder to find.

(April 5th, 2020 at 4:04 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @darth, you know I'm surprised Blu Ray internal drives haven't caught on... It's one thing that's been particularly frustrating to me because they're getting harder to find.

I noticed that too. Like they never made it into Macbooks at all. 

BRB, gonna go buy a Playstation so I can watch this movie... Finna

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - SpookyZalost - April 5th, 2020

(April 5th, 2020 at 1:40 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I noticed that too. Like they never made it into Macbooks at all. 

BRB, gonna go buy a Playstation so I can watch this movie... Finna

Lol, as someone who has 3 or 4 ways to watch Blu Ray's, including ps3 and PS4.  I have to say, my main reason is 50gb double sided bdrw discs... Because that would make backups easy.

What happens if the disc gets scratched and it’s a massive ZIP archive? That’s my biggest fear with those.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - SpookyZalost - April 6th, 2020

(April 5th, 2020 at 4:48 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: What happens if the disc gets scratched and it’s a massive ZIP archive? That’s my biggest fear with those.

Ideally like to get the Blu Ray version of my current disc drive, it can burn m discs, which are special archive discs that are scratch resistant, so a scratch resistant Blu Ray disc for archiving.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - Thomas - June 18th, 2020

I have one in my computer that I sometimes use to rip CDs but that's it.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - Darth-Apple - June 19th, 2020

(June 18th, 2020 at 11:32 PM)Thomas Wrote: I have one in my computer that I sometimes use to rip CDs but that's it.

What format/quality setting do you use when you rip CDs?

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - Thomas - June 19th, 2020

(June 19th, 2020 at 4:07 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(June 18th, 2020 at 11:32 PM)Thomas Wrote: I have one in my computer that I sometimes use to rip CDs but that's it.

What format/quality setting do you use when you rip CDs?

I was using EAC to rip to FLAC with 100% LOG. I'd have to switch into Windows to see what settings I had.

RE: Do you still use an optical drive? - SpookyZalost - June 19th, 2020

My optical drive died recently.
It stopped reading discs and was really slowing the boot times of my computer.

I'm currently looking for a new one, ideally an Internal Blu-ray drive though.