Makestation
Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Area 52 (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=58)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=36)
+--- Thread: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? (/showthread.php?tid=1234)

Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Darth-Apple - November 4th, 2014

I feel that companies simply save credit/debit card information for far too long. Not too long ago, Home Depot had about 40 million cards stolen. I never keep that much money in my checking account just as a precaution, but still, I've honestly become a little paranoid about it. Plus, infrared sensors can be used to detect heat changes on PIN pads to steal your pin code. That's a little scary. 

Anyone else paranoid about this? I personally use cash as much as possible to avoid using my card more than necessary. 

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Clayton - November 4th, 2014

I use as much cash as I can, but cash is becoming less and less popular way to pay, and some business' will actually get mad when you pay with cash. Motels and Hotels won't even accept it anymore if I remember right.

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Darth-Apple - November 4th, 2014

It's perfectly valid money. People shouldn't tell you that you can't use it. Tongue

Then again, there is the problem of counterfeit money or theft, so cash isn't entirely secure either. Tongue

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Clayton - November 5th, 2014

Its amazing what people will do anymore. What I do not understand, is every time you use a card, the business is charged a small fee just for swiping the card, so why wouldn't they want cash?

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Darth-Apple - November 5th, 2014

(November 5th, 2014 at 2:07 AM)Clayton Wrote: Its amazing what people will do anymore. What I do not understand, is every time you use a card, the business is charged a small fee just for swiping the card, so why wouldn't they want cash?

I agree, particularly with small transactions. Dealing with change isn't that annoying. Tongue

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Clayton - November 5th, 2014

The world today is full of many masterminds looking to make a dollar or two off of anyone they can with as little work as possible, and what easier way to do that than with technology of today, where it can be hacked, sensed, or a number remembered/taken, to ruin someone else financially.

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - I.D. - November 9th, 2014

i still use my debit card when shopping. However, i never use it online for any reason. The apps i use probaley have deceiving ways to snoop.

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Clayton - November 10th, 2014

I only use one of those Walmart Debit Cards that you load the amount you want to spend on. Big Grin

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Darth-Apple - November 10th, 2014

(November 10th, 2014 at 1:26 AM)Clayton Wrote: I only use one of those Walmart Debit Cards that you load the amount you want to spend on. Big Grin

Those are pretty nifty. I'm looking into getting them for gas soon to help me keep an eye on what I'm spending. I don't  really feel comfortable keeping too much money on my card these days. 

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - VRVisions - November 10th, 2014

(November 10th, 2014 at 1:26 AM)Clayton Wrote: I only use one of those Walmart Debit Cards that you load the amount you want to spend on. Big Grin

The Amex Bluebird ones or Green Dot?

I would not recommend Green Dot. Long, complicated negative experience with them.

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Darth-Apple - November 10th, 2014

(November 10th, 2014 at 6:47 AM)Aldini10 Wrote: I am always quite paranoid about anything related to computing as a lot of things are able to be hacked into and information taken away as a result of this. I do have myself a debit card but I must have at least 10 transactions per month due to the bank's guidelines. I don't even use it that much and so I find myself scrambling to the shops down the street and buy the cheapest items. Tongue

Oh those limits are freaking annoying too. I actually avoided a nearby bank that I was considering simply because of those limits. I have to say, I can't really be happier with my choice. My current bank is fantastic, and has absolutely zero bogus limits that I have run across. Unfortunately, most don't seem to be like that. Tongue

RE: Paranoid about debit/credit card theft? - Clayton - November 10th, 2014

(November 10th, 2014 at 6:44 AM)VRVisions Wrote:

The Amex Bluebird ones or Green Dot?

I would not recommend Green Dot. Long, complicated negative experience with them.

Its just called Walmart Money Cards Big Grin