Makestation
[Official] Personal Milestone Thread - Printable Version

+- Makestation (https://makestation.net)
+-- Forum: Makestation Community Related (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Forum: Community Related (https://makestation.net/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Thread: [Official] Personal Milestone Thread (/showthread.php?tid=117)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 6th, 2017

yeah IRL, snapchat, instagram, etc, it's well bizzare, you ever look at modern myspace? the old myspace is gone, and facebook is a ghost of what social media once back in the day.

hell you can't even really make your own pages with facebook like you could with myspace.

but I digress, let's keep aiming for the top!

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 6th, 2017

Makes it harder to stand out to reach people and pull them in.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 7th, 2017

(June 6th, 2017 at 9:47 PM)Guardian Wrote: Makes it harder to stand out to reach people and pull them in.

unless you happen to be a hacker/techie in which case you're even more alienated because what's the point of social media right? it's all advertising and info gathering anyway.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 7th, 2017

(June 7th, 2017 at 12:16 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(June 6th, 2017 at 9:47 PM)Guardian Wrote: Makes it harder to stand out to reach people and pull them in.

unless you happen to be a hacker/techie in which case you're even more alienated because what's the point of social media right? it's all advertising and info gathering anyway.

Yeah... I really can't wait for sites like B and Twitter to die the old MySpace. They may still be around, but not nearly as popular. 

I wish.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 8th, 2017

honestly I liked myspace back in the day, but facebook just seems dumb.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 8th, 2017

(June 8th, 2017 at 12:47 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: honestly I liked myspace back in the day, but facebook just seems dumb.

I'm just waiting on a forum software to incorporate the best of both worlds and have a 3-fer masterpiece that takes them all down.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 8th, 2017

(June 8th, 2017 at 1:45 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 8th, 2017 at 12:47 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: honestly I liked myspace back in the day, but facebook just seems dumb.

I'm just waiting on a forum software to incorporate the best of both worlds and have a 3-fer masterpiece that takes them all down.

actually that would be kinda cool, forum software that let's users have their own customization home pages?... you know that sorta sounds like the early internet back in the day actually... of course people had their own home pages but with usenet you had the best of both social networks and forums.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 9th, 2017

(June 8th, 2017 at 9:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: actually that would be kinda cool, forum software that let's users have their own customization home pages?... you know that sorta sounds like the early internet back in the day actually... of course people had their own home pages but with usenet you had the best of both social networks and forums.

Exactly like that. User could customize their page, if they want. User could follow other members of the forum and have a 'feed' of their posts and/or topics. If they want. They could use the forum like normal.

The concept is there, and has shown to be successful. Combined? Maybe it's too much. I just wish I could code to make it happen.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 9th, 2017

(June 9th, 2017 at 12:26 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 8th, 2017 at 9:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: actually that would be kinda cool, forum software that let's users have their own customization home pages?... you know that sorta sounds like the early internet back in the day actually... of course people had their own home pages but with usenet you had the best of both social networks and forums.

Exactly like that. User could customize their page, if they want. User could follow other members of the forum and have a 'feed' of their posts and/or topics. If they want. They could use the forum like normal.

The concept is there, and has shown to be successful. Combined? Maybe it's too much. I just wish I could code to make it happen.

well, what about as an add on to already existing code?

like users could have a directory where they can save their own code with a template or something (with built in malicious code checks of course).

like how myspace used to work, or how some blog hosts work.

of course there would be a set file size so you can't just host files or put too many images or something but I could see it working maybe.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 9th, 2017

(June 9th, 2017 at 4:01 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: well, what about as an add on to already existing code?

like users could have a directory where they can save their own code with a template or something (with built in malicious code checks of course).

like how myspace used to work, or how some blog hosts work.

of course there would be a set file size so you can't just host files or put too many images or something but I could see it working maybe.

I don't see why not. There's already some basic existing functionality for that on a few software already (XF?). As long as the files/images were public, i.e. beneficial to the site, I don't see why a file size limit would be needed. Storage is relatively cheap now.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 10th, 2017

one really good reason, Loading time.

not everyone has broadband internet lol.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 10th, 2017

(June 10th, 2017 at 1:31 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: one really good reason, Loading time.

This is true, but it hasn't stopped the media-intensive Facebook from growing and having a massive userbase. 

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 10th, 2017

(June 10th, 2017 at 1:52 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 10th, 2017 at 1:31 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: one really good reason, Loading time.

This is true, but it hasn't stopped the media-intensive Facebook from growing and having a massive userbase. 

also true, technically it wouldn't take much to modify how the profile pages work, like you could have it link to a modified page or something but how would that go about working while still being compatible with how things are now?

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 10th, 2017

(June 10th, 2017 at 7:04 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: ...but how would that go about working while still being compatible with how things are now?

I guess that's the million dollar question. Undecided

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Darth-Apple - June 10th, 2017

Any coders around here? You guys think we could get support to make a plugin for it?

I'll be honest. I really don't have the time. A few years ago I would have, but I've done much harder things for MyBB. I wrote a little CMS that was about half way complete and had about 7000 lines of code. ACP was completely finished and it worked great. Just never had time to finish the front end. I actually tried it out the other day and couldn't get it to load pages. I had a bug in there and my code was so complex I couldn't understand it. I apparently used to be pretty good at PHP. Tongue

But I already wrote a decent status updates plugin for MyBB. It had some bugs so I never released it, but it works well enough to enable here. We could scrap the profile templates completely here and redo it entirely, write some code to put a custom background and "cover photo" in place, and make the status updates take up the majority of the page, and have a little sidebar for all of the misc fields. Pretty much what MyProfile was trying to do before they gave up and just made it a collection of extra features. Tongue

I'm planning to quit my side job a couple weeks before I move in August, I'd have time to do the PHP part if anyone wants to do some template and styling work. That's what I don't have enough time for anymore. We could release a community plugin and it'd probably drive a little traffic here.

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 11th, 2017

(June 10th, 2017 at 10:37 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: We could release a community plugin and it'd probably drive a little traffic here.

I think that would be HUGE!

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - SpookyZalost - June 11th, 2017

(June 11th, 2017 at 2:41 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 10th, 2017 at 10:37 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: We could release a community plugin and it'd probably drive a little traffic here.

dude, you guys that's brilliant!

sure I'll see about helping with template and styling and stuff... I may have to learn a bit here and there but I've done harder things before.

I'm trying to remember, how was it that people got their my space pages so decorated and customized way back when?

RE: Personal Milestone Thread - Guardian - June 11th, 2017

(June 11th, 2017 at 9:42 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(June 11th, 2017 at 2:41 AM)Guardian Wrote:

dude, you guys that's brilliant!

sure I'll see about helping with template and styling and stuff... I may have to learn a bit here and there but I've done harder things before.

I'm trying to remember, how was it that people got their my space pages so decorated and customized way back when?

It was just CSS. I remember a lot of people starting to learn some things just to be able to update their profiles. I think it helped make a lot more people understanding of some technical things.