Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Stack Overflow

In my limited experience, they are some incredibly rude people. At first glance, it seems like a great place, and I've found great answers there. They take quality very seriously (which I respect). But my experiences haven't been particularly good. 

They have a lot of rules (not a bad thing), but they are sort of open to interpretation and they are really only worthwhile if you have an extremely precise problem. It's not an ordinary forum where you can ask more generalized questions to get feedback, information on best practices, or otherwise. It's more of a "here is my code, here is my problem, how do I do X."

If you're newer to the community, it's really more up to the discretion of whoever sees the problem as to what ends up being done, and often something gets downvoted only because it competes with someone else's question or answer. Everyone seems to be in a repuation war almost constantly. 

Is there anyone here who has successfully "figured out" stack overflow? If so, how do you go about participating meaningfully?
Saturn-Moon.com - Our next project...
So I actually do it like here, Imagine it, and then straight to the point like e.g. I am not a professional until I am here to gain experience, please do not be arrogant and professional siping, good is the young man who can explain something so inexperienced that he can also use it..
 [Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
Usually when I Google problems, the Stack Overflow answers are the most useful but I always feel like I'm about to be ripped apart when I post on there so try to avoid it. I know that a lot of users do ask questions that they could have Googled but I feel that most peoples' responses always come across as elitist and it makes the community a bit toxic for newcomers. That's just my experience, anyway.
WebDevZone - A new, friendly web development community
That’s the elitist vibe that I don’t particularly like. It’s as if they deeply resent having to help anyone. They look for a target any chance they get.

I don’t really think it’s bad that they focus on quality first. In all honestly, a lot of the people who ask questions without doing 10 seconds of research first deserve it. But they wrongfully assume that everyone falls into that category. It’s just something I haven’t had good experiences with yet. Maybe one day that will change, but as of yet, I haven’t seen it.
I saw this yesterday and it made me think of this thread:

[Image: Xwf92.jpg]
Guardian likes this post
Loool
My Website
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
You know, I might actually attempt it. It will honestly probably work. Finna
I was having some trouble with something with Blither the other day and I genuinely was stuck and couldn't work out what the problem was and I thought... StackOverflow will know. And then I thought about it some more... And I decided to switch framework instead as it would be less stressful.
What framework did you decide to switch to?
I was testing out the new version of CodeIgniter but it doesn't seem like it's fully there yet so ended up just switching to Slim and pulling in some other libraries to do the heavy stuff.
Never heard of either of those. I will definitely check them out.

What are your thoughts on Laravel and Symfony?
(July 1st, 2020 at 5:12 PM)campingrhino Wrote: I saw this yesterday and it made me think of this thread:

[Image: Xwf92.jpg]
That is hilarious and ingenious. 
I never joined stack overflow because of the toxic community.
Guardian likes this post
(July 1st, 2020 at 5:12 PM)campingrhino Wrote: I saw this yesterday and it made me think of this thread:

If that isn't the most accurate thing! Tongue