Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Development] Asperger's Network

Some may have already noticed - the title of this thread is the title of my website - but fear not, I guarantee you, this is not an advertisement thread.

It was December 2012, and I was at our old beach house in Long Jetty, NSW, where I, bored and lonely, had a Macbook Pro and a dream. That dream was to create a full website resource for people that have autism in Australia. Until now, we've failed at that vision, but we're getting closer.

Previously, with Version 2.0 Beta 1 (and later, version 2.0 Beta 2 and Beta 2.1), we built a platform using Object Oriented code. This version replaced version 1.0, which we wrote using procedural code. This code is available on Github, in the hope that one learns from my mistakes. We released Version 2.0 - and all was well. Even if we never did get out of Beta. Hm, maybe that was a joke.

Asperger's Network is the cultivation of my own learning of how to program, and how I learnt it. The short version is that I decided the best way to learn was to code something that I needed. And so I did. And it worked, to my surprise.

And now, after getting sick watching the last S Set train to run in Sydney - and I can say that I was there! - I have decided that I need to rewrite the website again.

We're calling it Version 3. And it's beautiful.

[Image: aKcOvP1.png]

Developed from the ground up in Swift (yeah, that's a surprise isn't it?), using a Vapor backend. Some features:
  • We're cleaning up our homepage to be immediately relevant to people. There will be two featured articles which, we hope, will be stories from that day.
  • We're rebuilding our forums to be clean and immediately relevant. On our index page, we are displaying the last 3 posted to threads - provided they've had posts to them in the last week.
  • Our wiki is being rebuilt to be more useful to people to edit.
  • We're working on a new way to allow user-submitted articles to get posted to our website.

And that's to start! We'll have some more updates soon. But until we do... we're happy to take questions!
Quote:Until now, we've failed at that vision...

Keep trying. Makestation has failed at taking over the world. We're still trying. Finna

New version looks good. I respect that you've deviated from PHP a bit (a brave choice nowadays). Never been too much a fan of PHP, but it's more or less the backbone for the majority of websites that are on the internet today. It's a necessary evil, of sorts. Like the changes and the focus on more user-generated articles and content, they look good!
Saturn-Moon.com - Our next project...
(April 14th, 2020 at 2:04 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: New version looks good. I respect that you've deviated from PHP a bit (a brave choice nowadays). Never been too much a fan of PHP, but it's more or less the backbone for the majority of websites that are on the internet today. It's a necessary evil, of sorts. Like the changes and the focus on more user-generated articles and content, they look good!

Thanks, it is imperative that our website be considered a user-generated content website as that is, after all, how forums operate.
Woah. Very nice.
I especially like the idea of using Swift/Vapor as a backend.
Wish I had a Mac to play around with the language (don't like Ubuntu at all but it's my only option if I ever do get around to it.)

But a while ago I got into learning Go because it did a lot of things that traditional natively-compiled languages (C/C++ as examples) just couldn't do without throwing framework on top of framework in an attempt to make a website. The only problems I had was that Go was advertised as being the C-killer which led me to believe that maybe it would also compile to tiny binaries (I was more interested in malware dev back then) but when I did try to write even a simple reverse shell, I'd have a 1.5MB file sitting there as the output of the compiler. Just wasn't worth it.
Starting to think Rob Pike is just going senile (c-nile, maybe xd) because he worships doing everything in a browser and doesn't seem like he can be f*** to write a single line of good code anymore, even after all his contributions to plan9 and Bell Labs.

My next venture is learning Rust although I'm not a huge fan of the whole crates scheme, where the majority of 'big' packages/libraries are still extremely unstable and just downright buggy. It's not quite mature enough yet for me to seriously start using it, but it is pretty d*** fast because of LLVM.

And LLVM is being used by Swift to make native binaries as well. That really interests me, but since I don't have a Mac, can't take full control over it quite yet.

Either way, site looks fantastic. Great that you're using a more exotic language for the backend. I'm actually excited to see where it goes.
Drop that GitHub link, I'd love to see what it looks like.
The current website is closed source, so you won't be able to see it on Github. It's that way for, primarily, security reasons.

The first version is available at https://github.com/bcousins/anold

We're running the website on Ubuntu Server. We only use Mac for development.
Ah, I see. Keeping it closed source is a smart idea from a security standpoint. If there is a security issue, it won't be out in the open. @Lain is a pretty good security researcher too BTW. Finna
(April 14th, 2020 at 3:36 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: The current website is closed source, so you won't be able to see it on Github. It's that way for, primarily, security reasons.

The first version is available at https://github.com/bcousins/anold

We're running the website on Ubuntu Server. We only use Mac for development.

Fair enough.
Nice disclaimer/README though haha

(April 14th, 2020 at 3:39 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Ah, I see. Keeping it closed source is a smart idea from a security standpoint. If there is a security issue, it won't be out in the open. @Lain is a pretty good security researcher too BTW. Finna

Yeah but I bothered with web security years ago because it was low-hanging fruit most of the time.
As a quick note on the login page, no input sanitation or password hashing. Those are the two main concerns (i.e. using singlequotes will break the SQL queries leading to information disclosure at the very least and dropping the whole DB --> getting RCE at worst.

Binary exploitation and reverse engineering is where it's at for me nowadays though xd
Takes a lot more effort and time, but the reward is oh-so great.
(April 14th, 2020 at 3:43 AM)Lain Wrote: Nice disclaimer/README though haha

I threw that together in 15 seconds after the last reply, thought it was time I showed off the story behind the website... There's a long process...

But yes, don't use it.
Is this the actual code that you used previously?

I'm curious. Now I want to install it just to test it out. Finna
(April 14th, 2020 at 3:47 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Is this the actual code that you used previously?

Yup. Good luck, though. Haven't used that DB Schema for a while so I can't recall what it is.
It's very clean and streamlined. Reminds me of the filecave project I had a while back. Does what it needs to do without extra bloat.
Version 0

[Image: Le7nZSj.png]

Version 1

[Image: t4uWgYf.png]

Saved you a risky install. Haha.
I think I liked version 0 better. Finna
(April 14th, 2020 at 4:03 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I think I liked version 0 better. Finna

Ew purple.

I look at it now and cringe.
(April 14th, 2020 at 4:05 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote:
(April 14th, 2020 at 4:03 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote: I think I liked version 0 better. Finna

Ew purple.

I look at it now and cringe.

You gotta learn what doesn't work before you can figure out what does... In any case, it's come a long way. Big Grin
(April 14th, 2020 at 2:01 AM)s3_gunzel Wrote: Some may have already noticed - the title of this thread is the title of my website - but fear not, I guarantee you, this is not an advertisement thread.

It was December 2012, and I was at our old beach house in Long Jetty, NSW, where I, bored and lonely, had a Macbook Pro and a dream. That dream was to create a full website resource for people that have autism in Australia. Until now, we've failed at that vision, but we're getting closer.

Previously, with Version 2.0 Beta 1 (and later, version 2.0 Beta 2 and Beta 2.1), we built a platform using Object Oriented code. This version replaced version 1.0, which we wrote using procedural code. This code is available on Github, in the hope that one learns from my mistakes. We released Version 2.0 - and all was well. Even if we never did get out of Beta. Hm, maybe that was a joke.

Asperger's Network is the cultivation of my own learning of how to program, and how I learnt it. The short version is that I decided the best way to learn was to code something that I needed. And so I did. And it worked, to my surprise.

And now, after getting sick watching the last S Set train to run in Sydney - and I can say that I was there! - I have decided that I need to rewrite the website again.

We're calling it Version 3. And it's beautiful.

[Image: aKcOvP1.png]

Developed from the ground up in Swift (yeah, that's a surprise isn't it?), using a Vapor backend. Some features:
  • We're cleaning up our homepage to be immediately relevant to people. There will be two featured articles which, we hope, will be stories from that day.
  • We're rebuilding our forums to be clean and immediately relevant. On our index page, we are displaying the last 3 posted to threads - provided they've had posts to them in the last week.
  • Our wiki is being rebuilt to be more useful to people to edit.
  • We're working on a new way to allow user-submitted articles to get posted to our website.

And that's to start! We'll have some more updates soon. But until we do... we're happy to take questions!

ingenious !!!! Why are you concerned with Asperger? My youngest son Ben Jay is 5 years old and also has autism- A-typical
 [Image: autism4all.png]
[x] <= Drive in nail here for new display!
(April 14th, 2020 at 1:02 PM)tc4me Wrote: Why are you concerned with Asperger?

I am, therefore I am concerned.
(April 14th, 2020 at 3:43 AM)Lain Wrote: As a quick note on the login page, no input sanitation or password hashing. Those are the two main concerns (i.e. using singlequotes will break the SQL queries leading to information disclosure at the very least and dropping the whole DB --> getting RCE at worst.

This is why we do not run that website anymore and why it’s heavily advised not to!