Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Windows 8.1

What do you think about Microsoft's newest desktop operating system? It tries to blend together a mobile interface and a desktop one, and they don't seem to be working together very well. People are criticizing it because of this. I have it installed on my new PC, and although it is a bit faster than Windows 7, it crashes rather often, and it feels uncomfortable to keep switching from the tiles interface to the desktop...
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
I tried a trial version of Windows 8, and I found it very confusing. The Windows 8.1 updates do seem to be pretty decent improvements, but I haven't had a real chance to get the hang of it yet. I'm still using my Windows 7 PC right now, and have no reason to really switch at the moment.

It does? I thought my machine would crash because I was using Spotify or I had some viruses/malware. Well if it is indeed the operating system that causes the crashes I have gotten then I'm sure it will work out. It is probably because it is new so they need time to work out the kinks. I find the tile interface kind of annoying to navigate with but I'm pretty adjusted to 8/8.1 now so it's not a real big deal.
8.1... better than 10 imho, it's what I dual boot with linux, though I haven't touched it since january since I don't have the need right now.
(June 3rd, 2017 at 5:15 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: 8.1... better than 10 imho, it's what I dual boot with linux, though I haven't touched it since january since I don't have the need right now.

Confused  Say WHAT!?!?

8.1 isn't as bad as 8, but it's still mostly junk. I can't stand 8. 
8 had me going back to linux. It's a no from me.

Not even a huge fan of 10 to be honest. Windows as I knew it, I think the better days are gone. Sad

(June 4th, 2017 at 3:10 AM)Guardian Wrote:
(June 3rd, 2017 at 5:15 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: 8.1... better than 10 imho, it's what I dual boot with linux, though I haven't touched it since january since I don't have the need right now.

Confused  Say WHAT!?!?

8.1 isn't as bad as 8, but it's still mostly junk. I can't stand 8. 

well I was using it with a rather large touch screen so it wasn't nearly as bad as an experience for me than it would be with just keyboard and mouse, I can see it's benefits...
(June 4th, 2017 at 7:57 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: well I was using it with a rather large touch screen so it wasn't nearly as bad as an experience for me than it would be with just keyboard and mouse, I can see it's benefits...

Touch-screen still has a ways to go before I'm a fan. I think the follow-on generation of incorporating gestures would make it more ideal.
Guardian: have you ever tried using hand tracking?

I've actually got a hybrid touch screen/hand tracking interface for general use with my mouse as a fall back/FPS game joystick.

it's sorta like... have you ever seen minority report?
yeah like that, using touch screen gestures, but in the air, it's kinda crazy.
(June 5th, 2017 at 3:32 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Guardian: have you ever tried using hand tracking?

I've actually got a hybrid touch screen/hand tracking interface for general use with my mouse as a fall back/FPS game joystick.

it's sorta like... have you ever seen minority report?
yeah like that, using touch screen gestures, but in the air, it's kinda crazy.

Ah well, I haven't. But, it's exactly what I was talking about.   Cool
this is what I use for it: https://www.leapmotion.com/

worth every penny Tongue especially when combined with VR to allow full usage of my hands in VR Big Grin