Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Driving pet peeves

What are some of your biggest pet peeves about the drivers you share the road with?

Personally, I can't stand people who get angry because you are driving five above the speed limit, and people who don't use their turn signals are pretty annoying as well.

one of my peeves is the local cops stakeout specific streets looking for speeders..and because of this id have to reduce my speeds to almost 25mph..and one street that i use is 2 miles long! -it would take me almost 2.5 hours to get home from work or whereever. but i play it safe and obey, fines can run from $65 to 500 dollars
Literally same! I just took care of a nasty speeding ticket in court for a speed trap set at the exact location a street went from 35 MPH to 25 MPH. $263 in the hole and a non-moving violation later I finally got the whole situation straightened out.

Dilly dallying in the left lane
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(July 6th, 2018 at 4:36 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Literally same! I just took care of a nasty speeding ticket in court for a speed trap set at the exact location a street went from 35 MPH to 25 MPH. $263 in the hole and a non-moving violation later I finally got the whole situation straightened out.

Government extortion at its finest. No victim, yet they penalize you for profit.

(July 6th, 2018 at 7:18 PM)Thomas Wrote: Dilly dallying in the left lane

Drives me BONKERS!
Tongue I have the opposite problem, cops stop me not for a speeding ticket but to ask why their Radar guns show the exact speed limit consistently and don't change, makes them think their device is broken or that I'm somehow messing with it.

of course this is because my car's cruise control is really steady and I use my satellite GPS to get 100% accurate speed readings while driving.

the few times I was stopped for speeding though I was able to talk my way out of a speeding ticket, the cops around here are usually understanding if it's go 10 over or get penalized for being late to work.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I've only ever had one speeding ticket, and only been pulled for speeding once. Got nailed for 16 over and the cop was an a**. I've never really had a bad encounter with a cop until now, but he was very intent on searching my car with absolutely no probable cause whatsoever. This, of course, is illegal. They can't search you car with absolutely no reason to do so. I had done nothing wrong, was carrying no drugs, was not under the influence, and was having a lot of my time wasted.

I think he was salty that I told him no to his search. To be fair I definitely was speeding, but it was in a zone where the speed goes from 35 to 25 and I hadn't caught it and slowed down yet. It's an a** place to put a speed trap for sure.

Thing is, I've gotten out of running red lights, which should be a lot more serious... Don't understand. Finna Being able to talk yourself out of trouble is all good but sometimes you just end up with a cop that's inconsiderate either way.

And truth be told I understand they have jobs to do and am glad for the good ones who keep the roads safe, but I'd be a lot less concerned if cops actually followed the law a lot better than they do. Around here they take their liberties and drive far faster than just about anyone on the roads. Who's giving them speeding tickets? If they are lenient on themselves, it should at least make sense for them not to set up speed traps in a** locations.

(July 7th, 2018 at 7:43 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: --SNIP--

honestly you can report them for that, it's why cop's are really irritated with dash cams, because it forces them to abide by their own laws or be reported by civilians catching them in the act.

and while usually they'll get a write up or a stern talking to sometimes they can get fired over it.
(July 7th, 2018 at 7:43 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: ...but he was very intent on searching my car with absolutely no probable cause whatsoever. This, of course, is illegal. They can't search you car with absolutely no reason to do so. I had done nothing wrong, was carrying no drugs, was not under the influence, and was having a lot of my time wasted.

Around here they take their liberties and drive far faster than just about anyone on the roads. Who's giving them speeding tickets? If they are lenient on themselves, it should at least make sense for them not to set up speed traps in a** locations.

This is what I hate. They can say they smelled something, or something was off, and its probable cause to search you. It's ridiculous. 

In many places they're also the worst drivers. No one keeps THEM in check.
on the other hand though, if they search your car and find nothing you can actually report them if you manage to get their badge number, it may not come to much but at least you did something in return.
Yep. Additionally, it turns out that if they search your car and they DO find something, you can use it as a kind of legal recourse in court. Not sure how well it will work, but lawyers have done this before, where they will make a case based on the fact that the defendant never consented to their vehicle being searched in the first place.

here's a pet peeve of mine, when somebody tailgates you even when you get out of their way they insist on tailgating you specifically until you either pull over into the pull off lane or turn to go somewhere they are not.
I'm generally calm and don't really get annoyed by dumb drivers, but if a person turns on their high beam for no reason (roads in Singapore are generally well-lit), I silently wish that their day will be filled with inconveniences.

The perils of driving a low height vehicle, sigh.
(July 16th, 2018 at 7:03 AM)capnsquarepants Wrote: I'm generally calm and don't really get annoyed by dumb drivers, but if a person turns on their high beam for no reason (roads in Singapore are generally well-lit), I silently wish that their day will be filled with inconveniences.

Trucks should not have high beams... it's dangerous to all car drivers.
(July 16th, 2018 at 9:04 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(July 16th, 2018 at 7:03 AM)capnsquarepants Wrote: I'm generally calm and don't really get annoyed by dumb drivers, but if a person turns on their high beam for no reason (roads in Singapore are generally well-lit), I silently wish that their day will be filled with inconveniences.

Trucks should not have high beams... it's dangerous to all car drivers.

Definitely, I avoid them whenever possible by speeding past or hanging back. I've seen too many liveleak videos of accidents involving trucks. D:
My entire family was in a very severe accident involving one during my childhood. It was a bit of a traumatic experience. I have tried to stay as clear as possible of larger vehicles on the road ever since.

I myself drive a fairly low vehicle as well. I have always done so in the interest of saving gas, but I am much more comfortable driving larger vehicles from a safety standpoint.

Trucks don't bother me as much... but then again my grandfather used to drive trucks across country so he taught me all the signals and secret stuff they use that not everybody may be aware of to indicate stuff... also I've a CB in my car so usually I can actually communicate with them.