Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

[Official] Makestation Community Milestones

I think medium is a pretty achievable goal. I got my brother to join but he's been too busy to really post as it stands now. I'll see who else I can get on board. I was going to get my roomate, but it looks like he hasn't been able to do so yet either.

Anyone have any ideas on how to go about expanding the community? We've kinda been isolated for quite a while. I used to be fairly involved in the MyBB community as a whole and we got some members from there, but I'll be honest, I simply don't have the time to get so involved anymore. I'm hoping I can find good ways to use my time wisely.

Ads also don't do us a whole lot of good, as I've found. Tongue

I'll see what I can do. I think that we definitely have something to offer and have room to grow.

Incidentally we've already gone up by around 45 posts in 3 days, so I could see us reaching 13,000 before july

@ Darth_Apple: honestly the best way to spread word of the station is by word of mouth, forum posts, inviting people from other forums, etc.
straight up adverts don't seem to help much, and we've got a lot to offer here to potential new members.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
MS and IB are the only forums I use now, so I would have no clue, but there's still some promotion forums out there. Not sure if they even work really.

People have to have a reason to post, and we're just active enough to encourage others to join in. The big issue is people aren't exposed to MS anymore, we are kinda isolated from most places now. We just have to get eyes on, then hopefully the people/activity will follow.
One thing that I can say from experience, though, is that 10 really good, quality members of the community far outweighs 100 members who barely contribute. Much like SM (see the simmania tribute thread) we've always believed in trying to focus on quality first and on trying to be pretty tight knit, which I think we've done fantastically well over the years. Big Grin

And getting really involved in communities was a big part of what we did to promote this place back when it first started. About half of us (Leo, Brian, Josh, among several others) came from Simmania and several came from Icyboards as well.

Believe it or not promotion forums actually did work pretty well for us. (For those who have not had the unfortunate experience of participating in them, they generally are notorious for not being very effective. ) But it wasn't really because of the promotion that we did over at those places, but because the staff liked us for some strange reason and joined to come support us. Damian B. was the owner of promotionzone.net (a fairly major promotion forum that existed a few years back), and was one of those members to make a surprise visit here. Tongue

And then... eh... everyone just came here to advertise their own forums after that. Not the original intent?? Lmao. Fine. Go ahead. Finna

But I guess, long story short, a lot of really consistent involvement in other communities was very much what worked for us. I've been out of the loop on forums for so long I hardly know who's active and where the good forums are anymore. Anyone have any ideas on where to go? I think I've got my eyes on offroading/automotive communities next since that is where a good part of my free time has disappeared too, as of late. Tongue

True. I'm not really invested into any others at the moment. The baby takes up a lot of time, but maybe I should get into some soccer, football, or farming forums, those take up my time too.

If my HOI IV mods were more popular I could probably use that and host a suggestions/support thread here. But alas... not very big. If I could invest more time into my gaming, I could do some mods or videos, AARs, or something to post for content and potentially sucking others in.
Guardian: the video's thing is a great idea, but it's such a time sink lol.
(May 16th, 2018 at 3:13 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Guardian: the video's thing is a great idea, but it's such a time sink lol.

Definitely agree, which is why I don't do them anymore. Or Twitch, hard to livestream when a wife or baby need help nonstop.
(May 16th, 2018 at 8:04 PM)Guardian Wrote:
(May 16th, 2018 at 3:13 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Guardian: the video's thing is a great idea, but it's such a time sink lol.

Definitely agree, which is why I don't do them anymore. Or Twitch, hard to livestream when a wife or baby need help nonstop.

I did videos myself for a bit but idk... I just stopped getting into doing let's play's, it became a bit tedious.
We've quickly hit 12,200.

Easy goal has gotten even easier!
Yeah I know! These last few days have been the busiest that we've seen a long time. We've actually been picking up steadily over the past year (about 3K posts in the last 12 months), which has been really nice to see. I think this summer will be pretty active for us.

I am still flabbergasted, impressed, astonished, all in one. After a relatively long quiet period, where most forums would have packed it up, the right people converged at the right time and everything just clicked. I don't think I've ever seen that before. We've sustained that now for a year, which is all the more impressive.

Proud of you guys!
Caught the board at an interesting stat:

12345 Posts

Cool
lol awesome!
Hahaha I didn't even notice that one was coming! Good catch. Finna

Checkpoint 12,400 is now down.
woot! somebody go over to the @party thread and open some cold ones! Cool
About 150 posts in 24 hours... Wow you guys. Big Grin

Yeah... since we're already mostly to the next hundred, I think stopping in to say 12,500 is redundant. Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Member Milestones simlink 3 8,080 October 18th, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple