Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread

They have to be one of the most frustrating places ever. And their response to downtime is always (back when the support forum was up and just the forums were down) was either "We're working on it" or "We're not reporting any problems" - I'm sorry but several weeks of downtime is unacceptable. And how they can ask for too much, oi. They have (or shouldn't have) any goodwill anymore, so yea... I'd certainly never recommend them.

TC: you really don't. Most frustrating thing ever. They don't even let you edit the CSS. In hindsight it may have been a mistake ever moving to them. But it did lead us to our current host, which has been just plain stunning. Big Grin
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Even non-SMFnew users are starting to get the vibe that SMFnew is just a bad place. Pretty bad in my opinion.

I just feel bad for all of the forum owners who have forums hosted with them.

(June 11th, 2013 at 2:27 AM)Towncrafter link Wrote: I find \"in a few moments\" in that image to be pretty funny. Shouldn't it be, 'in a few months'?
I've never had the joy of experiencing smfnew and from what I've heard from cheese and darthapple and simlink, I don't want to experience it ever.

I had my SC4 site on it. Remember how slow it was and that it was down all the time? Tongue
I highly doubt the people running smfnew have any idea what's going on. Now smfnew.com gives me an ftp directory index for their site.... this means I can access anything and everything on the site and download and hack whatever i want... *runs chin thoughtfully*
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Interesting... go to their homepage. You see a bunch of folders and backup files, and they can actually be downloaded. That's just wrong. Like seriously... what in the world?

I edited my post as you posted that. Read above Tongue
They are just so, so bad it is to not be believed. I'd be embarrassed to host a forum there now...
I wonder if the owners even know... Or if they care.

Just so you guys know, makestation is proudly hosted by a paid webhost (ramnode) so that we won't have to deal with all of this SMFnew crap. Tongue

They're the biggest disgrace the internet everywhere. And I'm serious about that. And Blake, I'm pretty sure they know what's going on, they just don't care.
That makes it even worse. I think they should grant free database exports and just shut down, honestly. If they still want to do forum hosting, they just need to start over with a new host at this point. Pretty sure nobody wants to use them now. :/

At least upload a simple "we've broke everything again" page. And I noticed on their support forum, before the most recent outage, that the ownership changed to someone else. The person who owned it while I was there abandoned ship, I guess.
The fact that their files are available for download on their homepage is... just wow. Basically someone can steal their code now if they really wanted to do something like that. Seriously... that's just wrong

I hope there's no database access information. Goodbye to the security of all people who use(D) smfnew and even people who registered on smfnew forums, should a hacker come along.
I sure how there is no database access information. That would be pretty sad.

I accidentally clicked images on google when searching "smfnew downtime." Most are from simopsis (the one on SMF"new"). Just thought that'd be interesting Tongue
Makestation gets impressions on the first page for the search "smfnew downtime" as well.

I'll be sure to keep watching this. I wonder what kind of error will happen next Tongue
One thing is for sure. When they are back, their servers will be the fastest in the world. Why? Because they'll be hosting like four forums haha. Tongue

Are you saying they're actually going to be back? Tongue

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 21,634 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio