Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread

SMFnew, for those who don't know, is a sizable SMF forum host with both free and paid plans. Over recent years, their service has gone from alright to very poor. They are known for massive 1-2 week periods of downtime without any warning, and in fact they are currently down for a "database error" with absolutely no explanation anywhere to be found. Not too long ago, they were required by law to suspend all forums and to reactivate them only by request, which killed a lot of forums. Several months ago there was 1-2 weeks of unexplained downtime. In addition, there are constant periods of 3-5 hour outages and service is generally very slow when their servers aren't down.

I found this ad pretty fitting in my google search results:

[Image: smfnew.png]

That ad... it's PERFECT!  ;D
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Smart move from createaforum. I registered for their support forum just because of that ad. Tongue

[Image: smfnew2.jpg]

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooool
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
"Uh Oh, We Screwed Up Again!"
I find it funny that on June 5th, 2013, their only status message is from last December. I doubt they even know their servers have even been down for days. Tongue

They never update that thing. It's sad.
Icyboards is really the only good free host these days though. They are a myBB host, so they can't even bring their good spirits to the SMF community. Tongue

So it seems either I have the wrong link, or that simopsis.smfnew.com is down. Ugh.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
it's simopsis.com now Tongue
Moved twice, and didn't even redirect it, eh?

It was redirected. SMFnew is just down so the redirect is down also.
That makes sense.

Yea, unfortunately we can't redirect if the site doesn't really exist anymore... sigh... I may redo the page on the fourmotion Simopsis version, though, to redirect to the current site. I'm just glad we ditched smfnew. Tongue
Yeah, seriously. I think posting actually increased quite a bit after the move because people could actually post without a "database error" every other page. Tongue

For that matter even access the site.
Glad you liked the ad! Yeah been watching them for a while and have offered to buy them but they wanted too much. Which makes no sense they can't make that much money since they are down so much... Now just watching and seeing what happens. Hopefully they still have the data or the users will really be screwed.
[url=http://www.createaforum.com">Free Forum Hosting[/url]
I find "in a few moments" in that image to be pretty funny. Shouldn't it be, 'in a few months'?
I've never had the joy of experiencing smfnew and from what I've heard from cheese and darthapple and simlink, I don't want to experience it ever.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 21,634 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio