Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The SMFnew "downtime" discussion thread
For that matter even access the site.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]

Thanks given by:
Glad you liked the ad! Yeah been watching them for a while and have offered to buy them but they wanted too much. Which makes no sense they can't make that much money since they are down so much... Now just watching and seeing what happens. Hopefully they still have the data or the users will really be screwed.
[url=http://www.createaforum.com">Free Forum Hosting[/url]
Thanks given by:
I find "in a few moments" in that image to be pretty funny. Shouldn't it be, 'in a few months'?
I've never had the joy of experiencing smfnew and from what I've heard from cheese and darthapple and simlink, I don't want to experience it ever.
Thanks given by:
They have to be one of the most frustrating places ever. And their response to downtime is always (back when the support forum was up and just the forums were down) was either "We're working on it" or "We're not reporting any problems" - I'm sorry but several weeks of downtime is unacceptable. And how they can ask for too much, oi. They have (or shouldn't have) any goodwill anymore, so yea... I'd certainly never recommend them.

TC: you really don't. Most frustrating thing ever. They don't even let you edit the CSS. In hindsight it may have been a mistake ever moving to them. But it did lead us to our current host, which has been just plain stunning. Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Even non-SMFnew users are starting to get the vibe that SMFnew is just a bad place. Pretty bad in my opinion.

I just feel bad for all of the forum owners who have forums hosted with them.
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
(June 11th, 2013 at 2:27 AM)Towncrafter link Wrote: I find \"in a few moments\" in that image to be pretty funny. Shouldn't it be, 'in a few months'?
I've never had the joy of experiencing smfnew and from what I've heard from cheese and darthapple and simlink, I don't want to experience it ever.

I had my SC4 site on it. Remember how slow it was and that it was down all the time? Tongue
I highly doubt the people running smfnew have any idea what's going on. Now smfnew.com gives me an ftp directory index for their site.... this means I can access anything and everything on the site and download and hack whatever i want... *runs chin thoughtfully*
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Thanks given by:
Interesting... go to their homepage. You see a bunch of folders and backup files, and they can actually be downloaded. That's just wrong. Like seriously... what in the world?
Thanks given by:
I edited my post as you posted that. Read above Tongue
Thanks given by:
They are just so, so bad it is to not be believed. I'd be embarrassed to host a forum there now...

Thanks given by:
I wonder if the owners even know... Or if they care.

Just so you guys know, makestation is proudly hosted by a paid webhost (ramnode) so that we won't have to deal with all of this SMFnew crap. Tongue
Thanks given by:
They're the biggest disgrace the internet everywhere. And I'm serious about that. And Blake, I'm pretty sure they know what's going on, they just don't care.
Thanks given by:
That makes it even worse. I think they should grant free database exports and just shut down, honestly. If they still want to do forum hosting, they just need to start over with a new host at this point. Pretty sure nobody wants to use them now. :/
Thanks given by:
At least upload a simple "we've broke everything again" page. And I noticed on their support forum, before the most recent outage, that the ownership changed to someone else. The person who owned it while I was there abandoned ship, I guess.

Thanks given by:
The fact that their files are available for download on their homepage is... just wow. Basically someone can steal their code now if they really wanted to do something like that. Seriously... that's just wrong
Thanks given by:
I hope there's no database access information. Goodbye to the security of all people who use(D) smfnew and even people who registered on smfnew forums, should a hacker come along.
Thanks given by:

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The official MyBB Discussion Thread Darth-Apple 1 3,340 November 15th, 2014 at 5:57 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  The general webhost discussion thread Darth-Apple 14 14,440 September 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Last Post: Hoolio