Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Good IDE to use?

VSCode is pretty good, it's a lot more lightweight than editors like Atom (which I've personally had horrible experience with because of memory leaks). Looks pretty, decent amount of features, easily extendable with plugins and themes you can find on the marketplace. It's nice seeing M$ making something open-source and cross-platform.
wait... Microsoft... and open source... and cross platform... 0_o what?! I knew hell (michigan), was frozen over 9 months out of the year... but is it finally under an ice age?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Filezilla and Notepad++ are all I use. Course I'm only good at simple PHP scripts. Big Grin
hehe, I like filezilla, it's how I transfer the backups I make of my modded OG xbox on/off it's 1TB internal drive. note: I make legitimate backups because I want to keep the game discs in playable condition when possible... also reduces loading times during play.
(March 22nd, 2019 at 12:12 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: wait... Microsoft... and open source... and cross platform... 0_o what?! I knew hell (michigan), was frozen over 9 months out of the year... but is it finally under an ice age?

You know that Windows 10 literally has the capability to run Linux now right? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Su..._for_Linux
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
yeah but... why would I run linux inside windows like that?

windows is insecure, it's unstable, it's not as easily customizable, I can't mod drivers to fit whatever devices I need them to on the fly, and it eats up way more resources too, and that's just a few in a long list.

besides as far as microsoft and open source go I can say one thing... Steve Balmer.

"Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches,"

"The way the license is written, if you use any open-source software, you have to make the rest of your software open source,"

"Our goal is to try to educate people on what it means to protect intellectual property and pay for it properly"

Chicago Sun-Times - June 1, 2001.

it's hard to believe microsoft would do anything open source.
(March 23rd, 2019 at 3:54 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: "Linux is a cancer that attaches itself in an intellectual property sense to everything it touches,"

"The way the license is written, if you use any open-source software, you have to make the rest of your software open source,"

"Our goal is to try to educate people on what it means to protect intellectual property and pay for it properly"

That's pretty telling, and definitely a Microsoft stance.
that was from 18 years ago, if microsoft is actually making open source software and or allowing linux to work fully and natively with windows... I'm really really nervous because given their history something is obviously either changing inside microsoft or they're actually a threat to open source and nobody's noticed.
(March 23rd, 2019 at 4:42 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: that was from 18 years ago, if microsoft is actually making open source software and or allowing linux to work fully and natively with windows... I'm really really nervous because given their history something is obviously either changing inside microsoft or they're actually a threat to open source and nobody's noticed.

Exactly, that was from 18 years ago. Something has changed inside Microsoft. More of their Azure installations run Linux than Windows. They're much more receptive to open source software now. They OWN Github. Windows is basically becoming Winux.
wait... microsoft owns github? 0_o wot?!
(March 23rd, 2019 at 10:48 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: wait... microsoft owns github? 0_o wot?!

Yep, bought it a few years back. Some of their application patches are now provided through Github rather than the Microsoft website.
X_x yep, the world ended a long time ago... sigh.

whelp at least they haven't tried to buy the linux kernel yet.
(March 24th, 2019 at 6:43 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: X_x yep, the world ended a long time ago... sigh.

whelp at least they haven't tried to buy the linux kernel yet.

Why do that when they can just buy Red Hat or Canonical. That's probably what they'll try to do.
too late for Red Hat... IBM just bought that lol.

I know because we're now using linux at work Cool
gedit is good too.