Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do you typically budget for your forums and websites?

Unless you're going the free forum hosting route, the costs of running a forum can go through the roof pretty quickly. With cheap hosting and a decent domain provider, you should be able to get hosting + a domain for around $70/year, which isn't bad, but that doesn't include any costs for premium themes, plugins, etc...

Personally, I'm budgeting around $100/year for the hosting + the domain, and an additional $50-60/month for plugins and themes. ($17 spent already for 2014 Tongue )

What do you typically budget for your forums and websites?

$100/year? Are you kidding? I'm paying around $2400/year now.
(February 10th, 2014 at 11:03 PM)spork985 Wrote: $100/year? Are you kidding? I'm paying around $2400/year now.

O.O

Probably $340 a year for domains and my mediatemple hosting
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
I used to spend a few hundred but now I've let my sites sit idle and only pay $31 per year. I've got a great host! Wink
I just wanted to thank all of you guys for supporting these types of sites for the members enjoyment
(April 9th, 2017 at 3:14 AM)Guardian Wrote: I used to spend a few hundred but now I've let my sites sit idle and only pay $31 per year. I've got a great host! Wink

That's great! You still on Spork's host? 

I've got everything on one VPS now I suppose and it works good. I've got a separate VPS for chatcave.me. I've actually still got it up and running believe it or not. Wish that one ran for 31/month. Unfortunately that one's a little more expensive.  Dodgy

Oh, and on a side note, what ended up becoming of someimage? 

(May 7th, 2017 at 4:46 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: That's great! You still on Spork's host? 

I've got everything on one VPS now I suppose and it works good. I've got a separate VPS for chatcave.me. I've actually still got it up and running believe it or not. Wish that one ran for 31/month. Unfortunately that one's a little more expensive.  Dodgy

Oh, and on a side note, what ended up becoming of someimage? 

Yeah, it's awesome. Haven't noticed any downtime issues, great pricing, serves my needs exactly.

PM'ing you...
you know I've thought about paying for the right to use ZalostNeo.Technology before as a place to host my blog but this definitely gives me a good general idea on how much a website costs to own and run.

how do you guys typically pay to run these sites?
Advertisements?
Side jobs?
Donation drives?
etc.
Still the same, $340. My mediatemple hosting has been incredible so far. Absolutely no downtime issues ever.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
$0, but I'm not running a forum or a major website.

I might take neocities up on their $5 a month offer though for a bandwidth increase depending on how big I get modding things...
my next project?
using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(October 30th, 2018 at 4:52 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.

Tongue That would be cool, very thrifty. The mustachian and zero-waste communities would love it.
(October 30th, 2018 at 4:52 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: $0, but I'm not running a forum or a major website.

I might take neocities up on their $5 a month offer though for a bandwidth increase depending on how big I get modding things...
my next project?
using some stuff I scavenged from a broken coffee maker to make a brand new one... maybe.

You should check out Ramnode. $5/month gets you a decent little VPS with 2+TB of bandwidth and total control over your server. Big Grin

shoot, think I can get them to become my ISP? lol.

comcast limiting me to 1tb of bandwidth wouldn't be an issue but family... you know?
I’m not too much of a fan of Comcast to be honest... they definitely aren’t the most consumer friendly company in existence...

true, but they're the only option if yiou want more than 0.8mbps upload right now :\

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Idea] Budget phone photography gallery? Electric2Shock 2 5,550 December 18th, 2014 at 7:17 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Some Recommended Budget Webhosts Darth-Apple 3 9,435 November 10th, 2014 at 1:22 AM
Last Post: Clayton