Poll: Do you honor speed limits?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm a slow driver
8.33%
1 8.33%
I stick to the speed limit
25.00%
3 25.00%
I go about 5 over regularly
41.67%
5 41.67%
I'll easily hit 10-15 over regularly
25.00%
3 25.00%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Speed limits

So do you actually honor the speed limits, or are you among the majority of drivers who go by a "five over" rule?

Be sure to vote in the poll!

5 over regularly for me Tongue
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
5-10 over regularly, except on freeways in which case I go the speed of traffic [Image: monkey.png]
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I average about 10 over.

Considering the majority of speed limits are intentionally set 5-10 mph slower than recommended for revenue purposes, I would say it's fine.
I like to honor the speed limits, doesn't help though when people here in SUV's and pickups like to tailgate reguardless if you are going 5 or 10 over and love to flare their brights for going at the speed limit.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I fully agree, there's absolutely no reason for that even if you're going UNDER the speed limit, it's just hazardous and stupid.
the sad part is, it's almost always SUV's and trucks that do it, especially on the high ways.

I've no problem with the car's themselves but their drivers so far have been aggro heavy.
I've seen some cars do it, but you're right it is mostly pickup trucks. Especially around here where a lot of people think they have to have one even though they use it entirely for city driving. [Image: monkey.png]

On highways going the speed limit when traffic is going faster can pose a hazard, but no more than tailgating idiots.

(June 25th, 2017 at 4:48 AM)Guardian Wrote: I average about 10 over. 

Considering the majority of speed limits are intentionally set 5-10 mph slower than recommended for revenue purposes, I would say it's fine.

From a traffic engineering standpoint it's set lower to prevent people from driving an unsafe speed. Even if it's safe to go 50 in a 40 people would drive 60 or more if the limit was 50, which probably would be quite dangerous for the road in question.
(June 25th, 2017 at 10:16 PM)pupper_donut Wrote: From a traffic engineering standpoint it's set lower to prevent people from driving an unsafe speed. Even if it's safe to go 50 in a 40 people would drive 60 or more if the limit was 50, which probably would be quite dangerous for the road in question.

That is what I like to call Darwinism at work.
Unfortunately people driving crazy isn't just harmful to the driver. it's harmful to other people on the road as well.

I was lucky when I was 19 and totaled my car. had to go to court to get the charges dropped, but I learned a harsh lesson. I was very close to hitting another car and somebody could have been seriously hurt.

Ever since I've been a little more careful on the roads. Vehicles are nothing to be afraid of, but they are basically death machines if you aren't wary of the consequences of driving dangerously. :/

indeed, yeah it's kinda scary what you see on the news sometimes.

in fact for years I wanted to learn to ride a motorcycle, my grandfather even offered to teach me on a dirt bike.

the reason I won't even touch one, Especially after my accident a few years ago on the bicycle (some idiot accelerated into me after being stopped at a stop sign), is because the road rage is getting worse every year, honestly I've thought about giving up my accord for a jeep simply because I figure the roll cage and steel frame would be safer against all the aggressive SUV's and pickups out here but I like my car all the same.

side note, here in town I ride my bicycle with a mid level motorcycle helmet, the same make and model that protected my grandfather when he got hit by a van on his motorcycle years ago.
(September 4th, 2017 at 1:00 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: side note, here in town I ride my bicycle with a mid level motorcycle helmet, the same make and model that protected my grandfather when he got hit by a van on his motorcycle years ago.

Bikes are the way to go. Honestly, I wish society would convert to using strictly bikes unless hauling something. It would be much safer if everyone were on the same playing field, not to mention the fuel cost savings.
guardian, indeed though I'm still a bit wary since I was injured on mine a few years ago, I still don't get how someone can sit at a stop sign and accelerate into a cyclist who's crossing at the intersection.
i do go a little above 5mph over the speed limit...but i always keep an eye on my speed. we have very aggressive cops who are always on the lookout for speeders
I definitely feel ya there on the aggressive cops VSS, here we really don't have much crime so they tally tickets to get paid, it's sad really the lengths some officers will go to in order to catch someone going just a bit too fast.

they sit hiding with their lights off (technically entrapment btw which is why I drive with my brights on in areas where I know they like to hide.)
they sit in transition zones.
hell we have an area that used to be 40 for a stretch between two lights but it's now 35, and every time I go to and from work they've got somebody pulled over for a speeding ticket.
they really should just make the whole stretch 40 all the way to the next light, it's nearly 2 KM.
(July 9th, 2018 at 11:35 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:  (technically entrapment btw which is why I drive with my brights on in areas where I know they like to hide.)

SAME!
IKR?
around here it's always in the most annoying places too.

there used to be a speed trap where the speed limit is 30 but up this hill it goes down to 20 and they'd get you going 30 or more at the top of the hill
(July 9th, 2018 at 11:35 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: I definitely feel ya there on the aggressive cops VSS, here we really don't have much crime so they tally tickets to get paid, it's sad really the lengths some officers will go to in order to catch someone going just a bit too fast.

they sit hiding with their lights off (technically entrapment btw which is why I drive with my brights on in areas where I know they like to hide.)
they sit in transition zones.
hell we have an area that used to be 40 for a stretch between two lights but it's now 35, and every time I go to and from work they've got somebody pulled over for a speeding ticket.
they really should just make the whole stretch 40 all the way to the next light, it's nearly 2 KM.

theyve been getting more smarter...some cop cars actually stakeout one stretch of roadway by parking normally like any other vehicle..and most of drivers dont notice, until its too late! and even though they dont operate during holidays and weekends, i still drive at safe speed because you never know...im always on alert.