Poll: Are you a grammar nazi?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
100.00%
3 100.00%
No
0%
0 0%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Are you a grammar nazi?

Yes, I must confess that at times, I can be one myself. I'm not sure that it's really fair considering my grammar isn't as good as it could be either, but I love English, and that says enough. Tongue

So, are you a grammar nazi? Be sure to vote in the poll!

I'm not, really, but I cringe when I see blatantly obvious mistakes, particularly their, there and they're.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
Mistakes regarding that particular word drive me insane as well. It's a common mistake too.

I confess I am too. While I get lazy on my phone when I post on forums on a PC or laptop I generally follow strict grammar rules.
Err what do I put here?<br /><br />I like Minecraft? I play Minecraft? <br />I play Sim City 4? I play Sim City 4?<br />I also don't like democracy! Wink
I used to be extremely strict in terms of how my grammar was in texting. I've become a little more relaxed, but I still don't text enough to feel the need to use "SMS" language. Tongue

I really don't care about most grammar unless it makes it difficult to read. But I don't correct people's grammar unless its absolutely atrocious.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I love languages and call myself a WordNerd.

Languages are in a constant state of change. One of the things that changes is grammar. The current grammar of english is defined by old antiquated grammar rules and some of them need changing.

For me, the 'their, there, they're' confusion is a typo and not bad grammar. Same with 'its, it's' and 'your, you're'.
Speaking of change, even over the past few years textbooks have become outdated. Little grammar rules can change surprisingly fast.

I forgot to mention that I am not a grammar nazi.
But... I guess I could be described as a grammar rules nazi in that I sometimes go off on a longwinded rant about the current rules of english grammar not matching up with the current english grammar.

English and I'm sure many languages is quite different spoken and written. And then there's the differences in casual and formal english. Chats are very casual. Forums are less casual but not quite formal. My point is that the grammar rules are different. Grammar should be more relaxed in a chat atmosphere and chat is no place for grammar nazis.
Well, I don't like grammar nazi'ing because it makes me feel terrible. Especially if english isn't their first language.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
(June 11th, 2013 at 2:13 AM)Towncrafter Wrote: I love languages and call myself a WordNerd.

Languages are in a constant state of change.

Not actually grammar but in line with your post Towncrafter and because I also consider myself a bit of a word nerd I was 'literally' shocked to learn today that the OED has extended the meaning of the word 'literally' to include its use for things that are not literally so but for emphasis http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition.../literally
Agandl

bigging up the little terrier Heart http://www.pawsitivelyterriers.com
(August 16th, 2013 at 1:21 PM)Agandl Wrote:
(June 11th, 2013 at 2:13 AM)Towncrafter Wrote: I love languages and call myself a WordNerd.

Languages are in a constant state of change.

Not actually grammar but in line with your post Towncrafter and because I also consider myself a bit of a word nerd I was 'literally' shocked to learn today that the OED has extended the meaning of the word 'literally' to include its use for things that are not literally so but for emphasis http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition.../literally

That's interesting... I know people "literally" use the word for that purpose, but to see the definition changed in the dictionary is surprising.

The English language is a complicated language, I must say.

(August 16th, 2013 at 1:31 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: That's interesting... I know people "literally" use the word for that purpose, but to see the definition changed in the dictionary is surprising.

The English language is a complicated language, I must say.

It is fascinating seeing how words are added, changed or dropped from the dictionary according to usage

I think English is complicated because it has so many root languages. It means that words that sound similar can be spelt differently and mean different things. It also makes letters have different sound values according to the letters next to them. Very confusing to anyone trying to learn it.

Also UK English is almost a different language from US English, though I think TV and Films are bringing them together. Most UK kids are increasingly speaking 'American'

Interestingly I have a Canadian friend and her English is much more UK than US - not sure if that is 'usual' what is your opinion?
Agandl

bigging up the little terrier Heart http://www.pawsitivelyterriers.com
Agreed. The internet has undoubtedly had an effect on that as well. As the world becomes more internationally connected, it seems that many dialects of the English language are starting to become more familiar worldwide.

I try not to be, considering that my spelling is not always perfect, but sometimes I do correct some grammar mistakes that other people repeatedly make on online forums...
[Image: mrnc7tt5xg8n7y494418.jpg]
I'm a grammar nazi in the sense that I hate seeing the wrong word being used. Things like, "your" for "you are" and "their" for "they are". Little things like that get on my nerves. Nine times out of ten, I won't say anything though.
(April 21st, 2014 at 3:39 AM)writergirl81 Wrote: I'm a grammar nazi in the sense that I hate seeing the wrong word being used. Things like, "your" for "you are" and "their" for "they are". Little things like that get on my nerves. Nine times out of ten, I won't say anything though.

Same here, although honestly I've caught myself making mistakes of that sort more often recently. I suppose being as busy as I am and typing way too much has at least something to do with that. Tongue

(April 21st, 2014 at 3:40 AM)Darth-Apple Wrote:
(April 21st, 2014 at 3:39 AM)writergirl81 Wrote: I'm a grammar nazi in the sense that I hate seeing the wrong word being used. Things like, "your" for "you are" and "their" for "they are". Little things like that get on my nerves. Nine times out of ten, I won't say anything though.

Same here, although honestly I've caught myself making mistakes of that sort more often recently. I suppose being as busy as I am and typing way too much has at least something to do with that. Tongue

I have to say I see it more when its in text messages and IMs. I guess I should be a little more relaxed in that case, but I just can't let things like that go. I get into it with my friends, and they all just sort of roll their eyes at me. lol.