Welcome, guest! We are a creative arts/general discussion community, and welcome guests and members alike to participate in our discussions. While registration is not required to post, we strongly recommend considering an account with us, as it a quick, free, and easy way to fully utilize all of the features on our forum. We hope you enjoy your stay!

Poll: Should american minimum wage be raised?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
28.57%
2 28.57%
Maybe
28.57%
2 28.57%
No
42.86%
3 42.86%
Total 7 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should minimum wage be raised in America?
This has become a pretty prominant question for american politics in recent years. Should minimum wage be raised?

Some argue that being paid minimum wage barely gives you anything to live by, and is basically an insult to employees. Others argue that if a business cannot afford to give  higher wages, a job on minimum wage is better than no job at all. What are your thoughts?
[Image: makestation_submatrix31_5.png]
Together, we can make something awesome...
Thanks given by:
The way I see it, minimum wage is basically like saying "we'd pay you less if it was legal to do so"
But without minimum wage, they would pay you less. In the US, minimum wage varies from state to state. In Texas its $7.25/hr, which is what I (will be) making.. not a whole lot but its just enough to get by.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Thanks given by:
Many people are paid minimum wage, and just barely get by. Honestly, I think that it's an incentive for people to work harder in society, get college degrees, etc..., but honestly in this economy, minimum wage is often the best people are able to get, regardless of how hard they work.
Thanks given by:
I agree with cheese. Being paid minimum wage (and not getting any bonuses/benefits, etc.) is like the employer saying "We'd like to pay you less, but we can't." I know that although minimum wage varies throughout Canada, it is usually around $10/hour. That seems to be higher than most of the U.S.
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]

Thanks given by:
$10/hour? Wow, not bad.
Thanks given by:
Indeed, but some provinces have frozen minimum wage, even as the cost of living rises. Even though minimum wage in Canada is higher than the US, it still isn't high enough. And to say that you shouldn't expect to earn much more than that being a cashier, etc. is a little off, as people usually think it is because someone doesn't have an education or is lazy. Many post-secondary graduates are working in places like Walmart, Future Shop, Tim Hortons, etc. even with a degree. It's not out of laziness.

But back on topic, minimum wage is a little insulting. Some places do offer a bit more. I know Cineplex Entertainment typically pays minimum wage (can't completely verify that) but I know they do offer a commision for each concession combo an employee sells at the concession stands. Explains why they always push for you to order a combo. Tongue

Thanks given by:
I've heard some terrible up-sell offers from workers who work on a commission. I'm one of those people that is prone to fall for that stuff too, which sucks. Tongue Movie theaters especially are already too expensive as it is, and to spend $60 between tickets and popcorn at one trip to the theater is way overboard in my mind.
Thanks given by:
It's why I love the movie theatre at the mall near my campus. It offers a student discount deal to university students. $14 for the ticket AND a regular (medium) popcorn and drink. Big Grin It's an Empire Theatres theatre, I think.

Cineplex has the Scene card, which gives you a 10% discount on concessions everyday, and bonus points for ordering combos. So I have the card. I've collected enough for 4 free movies from when I signed up, since I also opened a bank account and the supporting bank. It's the one nearest campus, so when I'm there it makes banking more easy. Tongue

Thanks given by:
Wow, maybe I need to move to canada then. Those are some pretty nice deals. Big Grin
Thanks given by:
So I recently discovered today that Wall Mart apparently pays many of its employees in China only pennies per day. Wow... just wow. I guess the value of the dollar is a bit different there, but still.
Thanks given by:
Government should have no say in what a business decides to pay a person who freely chooses to work for a business.
Thanks given by:
Frankly, no. It would lead to less hiring. Also, it could possibly slow down the economy by putting more a burden on businesses. OK, what's the alternative? I'm not sure. Any suggestions?
Thanks given by:
(February 4th, 2019 at 4:39 PM)TheJason Wrote: Frankly, no.  It would lead to less hiring.  Also, it could possibly slow down the economy by putting more a burden on businesses.  OK, what's the alternative?  I'm not sure.  Any suggestions?

In addition to inflation which lead to a direct increase in the cost of goods. Which would render the minimum wage raise pointless, and increase prices for those making above minimum wage while not giving them additional salary.
Thanks given by:
There are pros and cons. If you increase minimum wages, businesses would be reluctant to have new employees simply because they can't afford or are trying to invest in something else. For example, McDonald's is now using kiosk systems which makes things easier for customers as they can choose what they want and pay directly, no need to hire a cashier. If minimum wages increase, businesses might look into automating existing systems in such a way where employees will no longer be needed.
Thanks given by:
well... I for one welcome our new machine overlords...

but seriously though, honestly the way things are going if there isn't stability found soon the rich are either going to have to pay more to balance things out or the number of people losing their homes due to being unable to find a living wage will increase.
[Image: oEirbE7.png]
Thanks given by: