Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What desktop environment/Window manager do you use?

As I've said before, I'm using Xfce D/E. But in the category of window managers, I like OpenBox (I've considered using CrunchBang Linux before) and ratpoison. What do you use? And you had better not say unity Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
I mostly use either Unity or Gnome 3. Honestly I prefer Gnome 3 over Unity, and I plan on switching entirely pretty soon. Unity is a pretty big mess.

I don't particularly care for Gnome 3 either. I tried MATE which is a forked Gnome 2... I thought it was alright but I still preferred Xfce. So It's here to stay.
Gnome 2 is pretty nice. The only thing I don't really love about it is the lack of an easy search system, but Unity's implementation of that wasn't really very good, so I won't complain. Tongue

Xfce doesn't have an easy file search either, but it comes with catfish by default, so no reason to complain.
ooh hard choice... umm can I pick GNU-Screen command line interface?
with XFCE as my second for graphical stuffs?
I don't mind XFCE!

And what is a window manager? LOL

heh I use Gnome screen on my wearable computer most of the time, since I have to work on a small form factor and low voltage ARM processor the less overhead the better.

besides the ability to run multiple-command line programs is really nice and efficient.
When I used Linux, definitely GNOME and Unity. I haven't used Linux in about 4 years now but I still follow it. GNOME and KDE both look gorgeous.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
these days I use either XFCE or open box, it's just so minimalist so I can customize it to my heart's content, I love it.
still definitely GNU screen for my wearable though I'm looking at gui alternatives, with my wearable computer command line programs are the name of the game since there's not much room for GUI... this will matter more once I get around to getting a second pair of video display's I can attach to my glasses and have a HUD alternate.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
I use XFCE because GNOME compatibility is non-existent with X2Go. I don't have a preference since I almost never log in to servers with a GUI except to create new virtual machines. Everything else on linux is done at the command line.
(June 27th, 2018 at 10:30 PM)spork985 Wrote: I use XFCE because GNOME compatibility is non-existent with X2Go. I don't have a preference since I almost never log in to servers with a GUI except to create new virtual machines. Everything else on linux is done at the command line.

Haha I like XFCE myself! I miss when you could throw a mainstream distro on a computer with 256 MB of RAM and it would still run like a champ. Linux used to be the lightweight option. Nowadays it's just as much a memory hog as Windows if you use a mainstream environment.

LXDE is my top minimal DE. I think it's prettier than XFCE, and it's also significantly lighter
you know what interface I really like to use for general purpose on my touch screen desktop?

Window Maker

[Image: window-maker-for-linux-02.gif]

I know it looks old but having nice big buttons is nice for touchscreens.

Plus it's really easy to build custom GUI's for various apps that would normally be relegated to the command line.
Are there three different menus/panels on that thing? Tongue

(July 7th, 2018 at 7:58 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Are there three different menus/panels on that thing? Tongue

no actually that's just how Window Maker works, it's based on the next-step interface that eventually became OSX  Big Grin

Basically each one of those Icons are an app or link to something, you can even have icons that do stuff like monitor your CPU temp or network usage and stuff.

I've been itching to combine Window Maker with Conky lol.
I've been using GNOME with some plugins since I switched back to Linux last year. KDE has definitely positioned into the area GNOME used to dominate: customizability. And its multi-monitor and hidpi support is supposedly better; but I'm a GNOME man.