Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

what do you use a raspberry pi for?

so tons of people have used raspberry pi and variant boards for all sorts of cool projects, personally I'm using them to build a home automation system 1 room at a time.

so what sorts of things do you guys come up with?
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
My brother suggested using one for mining... not really sure they are up for the task.

I wanted to do a little OBD port scanner for my car with one, but the only problem with that is that with computerized software, it's not really something that's necessary at this point. I will, however, need to recode my car's stereo due to a bug in jetta stereos, looking for how to go about that. :/

depends on what you mean by mining I guess?

if you've got the equipment I don't see why you can't construct a drone with some motors and a drill that digs for resources Cool

as for the OBD port scanner, if you've a pi 3 or a pi zero w, you can get a bluetooth OBD adaptor and utilize it that way.
so these days Instead of my laptop I carry a Pi3 around with me equipped with video glasses, a track ball mouse, and a solar powered keyboard... but I'm experimenting with having a short composite cable to hook it up to my car as well lol.

there really isn't anything you can't do with a raspberry pi... except maybe modern gaming but even that's not THAT out of reach I guess.
Neat.

What would you do with it if you hooked it up to your car?

well you can actually run an ARM cpu version of kali-linux on it, and I have an antenna that's unlocked allowing me to do all sorts of crazy things including spoof, hack, and intercept wireless signals.

I could also hook it up to a drone and have the drone feed go direct to the display.

I did hit a bit of a snag with that though, the composite input only activates when the car is in reverse... however since I know which wire that is, provided I apply the correct voltage I could rig an external switch to fool the video feed into activating... which would fit with the whole thing anyway.

by the way, I don't have that wire hooked to anything since my car doesn't support a backup camera by default. (my gps btw does and I'm going to rig that up for it... let the car display be for the various other feeds via switches and stuff.)
I just bought a raspberry pi 4 the other day. The 8gb RAM model. I'm going to use it to seed torrents, work as a znc, and direct stream plex media. I'm waiting on a different microsd card for it now though, and a gigabit network switch.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Raspberry Pie Daniel 1 5,445 February 10th, 2019 at 7:50 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost