Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Show us your desktop!

Sorry that's not what I meant. What are you running on the XP installation. What requires you to need XP?
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
oh! well sim tower for one, that one doesn't even start on windows 8.1

the sims 2 has all sorts of graphical glitches and crashes on windows 8.1
The original Deus ex.

a few dos games that I prefer to run without dosbox if possible and run great.

Streets of simcity.

Sim copter.

there's a few others that I haven't gotten around to installing on here yet but that's just the main one's I play so far.

most of them are nearly or over 20 years old lol.

at least one or two are over 25 but that'll be in the realm of the 486 build I'm planning

also the windows XP machine makes a great test bed for seeing if my website is still backwards compatible with older hardware.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
Updated again for the changing weather

[Image: vf6OiT2.png]
[Image: OxFTFBs.jpg]

KDE is so pretty desu!

I know the icons are gross, don't @ me.
I'm planning on making the distro hop to void though, and switching back to dwm. I hate having a gig of ram being used idly by the DE alone
Either that or NixOS, since I've always wanted to play around with it but never felt comfortable enough to actually do it.
(March 6th, 2019 at 5:57 AM)Lain Wrote: KDE is so pretty desu!

I'm planning on making the distro hop to void though, and switching back to dwm. I hate having a gig of ram being used idly by the DE alone
Either that or NixOS, since I've always wanted to play around with it but never felt comfortable enough to actually do it.

With 12 GB of RAM at your disposal, what's the big deal though? The point of well managed RAM is that when other things aren't using it, it can give more to the active application: in this case the DE, so that it runs faster.

Pretty wallpaper though.
(March 6th, 2019 at 6:07 AM)Thomas Wrote:
(March 6th, 2019 at 5:57 AM)Lain Wrote: KDE is so pretty desu!

With 12 GB of RAM at your disposal, what's the big deal though? The point of well managed RAM is that when other things aren't using it, it can give more to the active application: in this case the DE, so that it runs faster.

Pretty wallpaper though.

It's not a matter of 'use everything at your disposal,' it's 'use only what you need.'
I don't want something that needs a gig to constantly drain my battery when I'm on the go. I don't need it to waste my precious CPU cycles managing that RAM and doing garbage collection for no reason. And in the case that I do have something that does use large amounts of RAM (say, I run a benchmark test or something) then I want to be able to maximize my use in that situation, instead of it being eaten away, without me having to reconfigure everything or kill background processes myself before I can use my resource-intensive apps.
This right here is why Box is my linux DE of choice Tongue

it's so light it runs on a pentium 1 with 256mb of ram, it's infinitely customizable, and other than maybe a TUI or CLI it's probably the next best thing to X window as far as system weight and speed, only it looks way nicer.

Scroll up to that cool tron theme I did, I did that in Open Box.

Decided to change mine again... found out finally how to set different pictures for each screen.

[Image: h0Yt5h0.png]

Resistance is futile [Image: 9RrhaSx.gif]

I'm probably going to change my linux theme sometime soon... not sure what yet.
Link me the wallpaper with Borg Picard.
That looks sick!

I like it.
@ thomas: https://i.imgur.com/Ibi3TXC.jpg
(March 27th, 2019 at 2:28 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @ thomas: https://i.imgur.com/Ibi3TXC.jpg

Siick thanks!
sure Tongue

I really do need to take a picture of my werable's interface screen for this thread... it's nothing flashy but it's still cool lol.
so I know it's a double post but I recently got something awesome working for compatibility with certain mid to late 90's systems.

Desktopception!  Cool

win 3.1/DOS on one side, OS9 on the other, all inside 8.1, though I could have easily run this in linux as well, I've tested on both  Big Grin

both can play games that my main cannot without them or dedicated hardware, though win3.1 still needs work.

Personally I prefer hardware to emulators but well space is at a premium lately, and until I can get my hands on a G4 cube or something I can rest easy knowing that I can run OS9 with a rez of up to 1920x1080, it's 1280x1024 here.

[Image: QoOVaAr.png]
That's awesome! Loved 3.1 (at the time)! Classic.
@ guardian, it was one heck of a pain getting it to run let alone install in dosbox, but I got it all running, just so I can run some 16bit MAXIS games like simtower which will not run in DOSBOX or windows 64bit Tongue

By the by... the mac version of that game works better in sheepsaver running os9 than it does in dosbox running 3.1.
I can only imagine!

Installing... installation... these numbers aren't real (RAM, CPU, HDD, etc)!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Show us your "desktop" [mobile edition!] Darth-Apple 14 15,007 February 22nd, 2019 at 9:45 PM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Microsoft Managed Desktop, is M$ trying to control your PC? SpookyZalost 9 10,146 August 9th, 2018 at 6:30 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost