Poll: English class - love or hate?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Love it!
100.00%
1 100.00%
I'm neutral
0%
0 0%
I hate it.
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

English class - love or hate?

English, much like math, is a very controversial subject for both high school and college students. While I'm not majoring in it, I personally love the subject. However, there are also plenty who are on the opposite end of the spectrum, so here we have a poll. Be sure to register your vote!

I voted that I hate it, though it honestly depends on the teacher. I had 2 "bad" english teachers, 1 that was okay and 1 that was awesome in high school. Oddly enough the one that was awesome was one of the most strict markers, but they were an amazing teacher that really connected with the students. It didn't feel like you were going to class when heading to English that year.

The thing that bugs me is usually the over-analysis and odd assignments that ruin a good book. There is one book I despised until I re-read it years after I had for English class. And guess what, I liked it! It was the assignments that unfortunately ruined the book. They really were awful. :/
[Image: 3GnR8g1.jpg]
I agree completely. I love the class, but it's often ruined by poor teachers.

I think one of the things I am most frustrated with is how teachers will gladly hand out 97's on papers, but never will they give an 100. I actually managed to get an 100 on a paper last semester, and that alone made my day. It's one of the hardest classes to ever get an 100 on an assignment in, so keeping an A in the class is a pain most of the time.

I still find the subject itself pretty interesting though.

I'm luck in that my program does not require me to take an English class. It does require a humanities course, which I've already completed. Still maintained an A, though my lowest mark of the year came from that class both in terms as a final mark and assignment mark.
Ah nice. Pretty neat that you don't have to take English classes.

I pretty much make A's in all of my classes, but in some I get very close to making a B. Last semester's English class I got a 93 or so, which was just hanging on the edge. At least it's just an A on the transcript Tongue

That's good. I'm maintaining an A average right now as well, though it certainly isn't easy. Hope I can continue it. We have stringent requirements to maintain our place in my program.
I hate being on edge about maintaining grades. Definitely not fun. But then again... being an A student is an awesome feeling. Big Grin

I have a mixture of A's and B's. Oh well. Tongue
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
In my program if you fall below 70% major course average you get booted from the program and it is EXTREMELY hard to get back in.
I have to make at least 70-80% as well, but I have no problem doing that. As long as my GPA is at least 2.0, I'm good at my campus. Big Grin

I've had a lot of bad teachers and most of them were English teachers. I liked every one of my teachers in elementary, junior high, and high school. But, I kept failing English in college because every one of them was bad. One was an egomaniac and he was the worst. I took and failed college english over 5 times. I'm pretty sure I took it and failed it more than that but I lost count after 5. Eventually I gave up on college, all because I couldn't pass english.
Bad teachers are the worst. I've had many subjects I truly enjoy, yet the instructors have been a pain. I think the education system really needs work if that's the way that things are.

I personally find universities to be the worst. I hate to get political, but it seems that a lot of the teachers are just liberals who spout their negative views of conservatives non-stop.
[Image: wxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&ai...anguage=EN]
Or they pound you for your religious views and basically hate you for the whole class, or won't talk to you because they don't agree with your political view, or something else that's really stupid. I don't really care. I just want to pass the class, but seriously... the whole system is messed up.

(June 11th, 2013 at 2:24 AM)Towncrafter link Wrote: I've had a lot of bad teachers and most of them were English teachers. I liked every one of my teachers in elementary, junior high, and high school. But, I kept failing English in college because every one of them was bad. One was an egomaniac and he was the worst. I took and failed college english over 5 times. I'm pretty sure I took it and failed it more than that but I lost count after 5. Eventually I gave up on college, all because I couldn't pass english.

That should be "I liked every one of my English teachers..."

I did not like every one of my teachers in high school. Before High school, I had no bad teachers, but in high school, I had many, but none of them were english teachers. The bad teachers were math, history, PE, chemistry/physics (same teacher for both subjects), health, and another subject I don't remember the name of but we had to research careers and write about them.
Yeah, it's a pretty messy system that America has right now. Not much that can be done about it though, which is sad.