Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Android vs. iPhone

I was not a fan of the Windows phone. So little selection for apps. It would get super hot very easily, would randomly turn the screen white and freeze up until it died. Hated it.
Microsoft has completely killed it multiple times. Killed as in, completely abandoned, jettisoned, destroyed. These old windows phones won't even receive notifications anymore because microsoft literally killed the servers for them when they gave up on Windows mobile.

I guess they felt it lost them too much revenue? Ah, yes. The mighty dollar, always trumps all. Finna

I just recently was given a used I phone..still learning all its features..
Sports fanatic
Microsoft has just kinda... well their reputation with portables has been sorta bad for a long time, case in point... Zune VS Ipod, we all know who won that battle.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
[Image: 5.jpg]
(May 16th, 2018 at 11:05 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: there's nothing really wrong with the windows phone interface, my issues stem from the lack of flexability I got from using one for a short period of time.

it's not like I can go in and compile my own verison of it with tweaks to make it faster and such like I can with android you know?

Do you ACTUALLY compile android for your phone, or do you just install custom roms? What model phone do you have?
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
(June 26th, 2018 at 7:01 PM)Thomas Wrote:
(May 16th, 2018 at 11:05 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: there's nothing really wrong with the windows phone interface, my issues stem from the lack of flexability I got from using one for a short period of time.

it's not like I can go in and compile my own verison of it with tweaks to make it faster and such like I can with android you know?

Do you ACTUALLY compile android for your phone, or do you just install custom roms? What model phone do you have?

I compile of course, I used to just load custom roms but I still didn't like it so I run a rolling update with my own feature set.

phone is a ZTE Z812 I got for $20

only 8 gb of memory so the necessity for custom software is a given but I don't use it for much and the google play store and features eat up a lot of space... at least I don't have the extra ATT crap.

basically about once every 3 or 4 months I back up my phone, plug it into one of my computer's USB 3.0 ports and link it to the linux half of my main desktop (THOR).
I then boot the phone into debug mode and do a fresh compile utilizing it's hardware as the framework to ensure compatibility with the latest android compatible kernel and any GUI tweaks I decide to run as default.

the end result is a streamlined phone that doesn't lag often and is capable of running both Google services and amazon alexa with ease and supporting snapchat, bitmoji, and some unapproved texting emoji updates to keep up with the I-Phone's selection my lady friend has.

by the way, take a guess what my phone's name is? Tongue
There's no reason to compile Android to a phone rather than just using a different ROM. I'm sorry but I don't believe you do this.
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Be constructive guys. No need to let this get out of hand.

http://makestation.net/showthread.php?tid=1114 Wink

@ Thomas, there is one reason, I also like to use my phone to connect with my raspberry pi as a kind of extension and such... also so I can make sure the ver of android I'm running doesn't have any weird addons and spy stuffs.

so what it comes down to is this, paranoia, with the US government installing back doors into routers, and with my power user type usages such as frequency scanning, Raspberry pi remote terminal and acting as a remote network hotspot for my tablet and such I went the route of compiling a straight up linux kernel with ARM support and android addons of my choosing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  iPhone 12 Darth-Apple 6 2,832 August 29th, 2021 at 1:39 AM
Last Post: s3_gunzel
  iPhone vs. Android tc4me 11 6,478 June 24th, 2020 at 9:46 PM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Your iPhone probably outperforms your computer. Darth-Apple 2 3,121 June 7th, 2019 at 5:04 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  iPhone = obtained Darth-Apple 11 14,810 September 1st, 2018 at 10:38 PM
Last Post: Thomas