Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ask the staff

What do you think about VanillaBB, Flux, and Discourse?
Vanilla is alright. Discourse is too weird. FluxBB is quite nice though.

(March 23rd, 2015 at 1:26 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: Vanilla is alright. Discourse is too weird. FluxBB is quite nice though.

Hmm... interesting. Discourse is actually my favorite of all 3. I've been looking for alternatives to MyBB and so far it has been the most appealing. How long did you toy with each?
I never really tried any of them as an administrator besides FluxBB. I've used websites powered by them, and vanilla wasn't bad, but I couldn't even figure out how to use discourse. I actually strongly considered using fluxBB instead of MyBB for the chatcave support forum, and didn't bother only because the converter failed to properly convert the passwords. Tongue

I wouldn't mind messing around with phpBB a bit. I'm interested in seeing what happens with 3.2. I think it's supposed to come out later this year.

(March 23rd, 2015 at 9:20 PM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: I never really tried any of them as an administrator besides FluxBB. I've used websites powered by them, and vanilla wasn't bad, but I couldn't even figure out how to use discourse. I actually strongly considered using fluxBB instead of MyBB for the chatcave support forum, and didn't bother only because the converter failed to properly convert the passwords. Tongue

I wouldn't mind messing around with phpBB a bit. I'm interested in seeing what happens with 3.2. I think it's supposed to come out later this year.
Do you know the reasoning behind profiles not being publicly available on FluxBB?
Who knows. It's based on punBB, which I don't believe even has PMs if I recall. It's designed to be ridiculously simple. A more fully fledged version of fluxbb might be quite nice. Of course, really, that defeats the purpose of even using it to begin with. Tongue

There aren't really great options for forum software right now. I use MyBB just because it's easy to modify to suit your needs, but I don't really even care for MyBB all that much lately, honestly.

What is the story behind the new notification bar? You were only nominated for Wall of Shame once, jokingly (I think).

And sorry to hear about corrupting the database. Fixing that must have been really frustrating.
Haha I got bored of seeing the same thing over and over again. I'm going to start using that notification system for something more useful soon. (Oh, and I actually got nominated quite a few times if I recall. Not the 5 that was required, but I got a couple by PM. Tongue)

And yeah, I wasn't too thrilled. I had to restore a database backup, but unfortunately, a number of tables in my backup were corrupt. I then decided to go back to the original database that was not from the backup, and to only restore the tables I know were messed up, and then at least one of those tables now has issues as well. Luckily it looks like the website works fine now, and we didn't lose any posts or anything of that sort. I now need to figure out how to do proper database backups I suppose. I guess I'm back to pulling out the command prompt for this stuff since MyBB is complaining about phpmyadmin exports.

Why did you change your username?

Favorite song?
I actually intended originally to change my username only briefly. For some reason, this has stuck.

As for my favorite song, I honestly couldn't say. I have too many favorites. Want some songs that might make it in my top 5? Tongue

(March 26th, 2015 at 7:03 AM)Hans Squeaky Wrote: As for my favorite song, I honestly couldn't say. I have too many favorites. Want some songs that might make it in my top 5? Tongue

Yes, please.
Because Hans is squeaky when you poke him?