Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Dacentec

These guys are awesome.

Dacentec is a datacenter, based in the small town of Lenoir, North Carolina, USA (which Google also happens to have a datacenter in). What's so awesome about them is they sell dedicated servers with really good specs, at a low price, that you own after 12 months of payment. I'm looking into getting one myself, but they have pretty random stock everyday. From what I understand, it's just what they have shipped to them that day.

The only dis-advantage is the rather cheap-o peering (Cogent, Hurricane Electric, and TiNet), so ping may be a bit higher for some. Plus, once you own it, you must pay for co-location or the shipping to have them send you the server, they don't cover the shipping.

http://billing.dacentec.com/hosting/

QUICK EDIT: They've been having site issues recently so don't mind if it looks ugly.
12 months to own isn't bad. That's a pretty good deal for servers that will probably last for quite a while. Big Grin

(August 18th, 2013 at 11:29 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: 12 months to own isn't bad. That's a pretty good deal for servers that will probably last for quite a while. Big Grin

Their usual stock is a HP (or Dell) server with:

2x Quad Intel Xeon L5420's
2x 1TB HDDs (or 4x 146GB SAS drives)
16GB RAM
10TB Bandwidth on 1Gbps
$50/month

So yeah, really good.
Wow, those prices are great. Big Grin

(August 18th, 2013 at 11:32 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: Wow, those prices are great. Big Grin

I bought one last night. It'll take a while to setup though as Dacentec is a small operation.

They say 24 hours but it's usually less than 6 hours from what I've heard. I also have to use KVM to install the OS as their Ubuntu templates don't support software RAID.

I also out of curiousity looked up how much it'd be to ship the server from North Carolina to Indiana (based on a UPS calculator with a 10lb box), it'd be $19 or so on UPS Ground. I think you have to buy a box though with special protection on it from bumps and such. Big Grin
Nice, seems like a good deal.