Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What is the best Messaging Apps?

What is the best Messaging Apps? Which one do you use? WhatsApp vs Skype vs BBM vs iMessage vs Viber?
I'll have to say Skype personally, although I don't do instant messaging very often.

(August 17th, 2013 at 10:11 PM)3DWaffle1 Wrote: What is the best Messaging Apps? Which one do you use? WhatsApp vs Skype vs BBM vs iMessage vs Viber?

Skype for me. Just like Darth, I'm not using Skype much these days. I did use it to communicate with a friend recently, however, I changed my status to offline.

I own a BlackBerry and I can use BBM, however, I choose not too. I'll get addicted like how I got addicted with FaceBook years back. I don't want to walk down that road again, lol.

As for iMessage, I don't have many iOS contacts. The only person I really use iMessage with is my sister, and that's because she is spending one year in another country, far from where I'm located.

I've heard a lot about WhatsApp, however, I never really payed much attention to it. My next sister uses it a lot, I think. She always talks about it, so obviously that's what I'd assume.

As for Viber, I've never even heard about such a thing, lol.
I really can't say there's any messaging app that I really like. But skype is the best of bad options if you ask me.
(August 23rd, 2013 at 11:05 PM)cheesesc4 Wrote: I really can't say there's any messaging app that I really like. But skype is the best of bad options if you ask me.

What's wrong with Skype? I've been using the program for years and I have never encountered an issue. It has video chat, screen share, and you can instant message anyone in your contact list. It's also possible to hide your online status while messaging other contacts, which is great.

Does it run slow on your computer? You might want to check your computer's specs if it does :

Required Specs to run Skype :

-> Windows XP Service Pack 3, Windows Vista, Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) and Windows 8
-> A 1GHz CPU
-> At least 256MB of RAM
-> DirectX v9.0 or above

If your specs are okay and it still runs slow (or not responding at times), you might want to run a full virus scan or get rid of junk files.
Seems you are talking about mobile message stuff? I think Whatsapp is a good one, Skype of course is good, but these days it's not acting normally in my mobile, maybe depends on the signal also. There's an app called wechat, which was produced based on a Chinese messaging software for pc, and it's quite popular in mobile now, even expanding to users who use English.
(August 25th, 2013 at 5:15 AM)Marc Wrote: It has video chat, screen share, and you can instant message anyone in your contact list. It's also possible to hide your online status while messaging other contacts, which is great.

I like skype too for all the above reasons

I use it to more contacts than any other app as well because most of my friends have it
Agandl

bigging up the little terrier Heart http://www.pawsitivelyterriers.com
well, with specs that low of course it's fine on this computer.
I sometimes find it rather annoying to use... it's either randomly slow, the instant messaging sometimes doesn't work and the UI bothers me a bit. Though the win8 version isn't too shabby.. but I don't use the metro interface so....
Skpye's interface is a bit difficult to figure out at first glance, particularly with the linux version. I don't particularly mind the windows version though. They have a different version of it for windows 8?

(August 25th, 2013 at 5:13 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: They have a different version of it for windows 8?

Looks much the same to me
Agandl

bigging up the little terrier Heart http://www.pawsitivelyterriers.com
It's one of the metro full-screen apps, whatever you would call it. It's on the windows app store...
Ah...

Those full screen metro apps are always strange to work with. At least in my experience they have been.

I also think skype is a bit... meh. Then again, I usually use IRC anyways.
I mod Paradox games. Click here to see my many adventures in doing that.

"Join the Army, see the world, meet interesting people - and kill them"
IRC is nice, much better than HTML chat for sure.
(August 25th, 2013 at 4:57 PM)cheesesc4 Wrote: well, with specs that low of course it's fine on this computer.
I sometimes find it rather annoying to use... it's either randomly slow, the instant messaging sometimes doesn't work and the UI bothers me a bit. Though the win8 version isn't too shabby.. but I don't use the metro interface so....

I think you may need a little more RAM. Or maybe close programs that you have open that are using up some of your computer's resources so that more will be given to Skype.

I normally open up Task Manager to see what I don't need, then I force close it.

(August 26th, 2013 at 4:49 PM)cheesesc4 Wrote: IRC is nice, much better than HTML chat for sure.

I've used IRC chats before, but they're not my cup of tea. I'd prefer download and install a program from a well known company to use so that I can chat with friends, etc. Plus, I don't think IRC chats offer as much features instant messaging apps provides the user with, :/
more RAM? I have 8gb and it never does use that much...
Honestly skype does seem a bit slow from my end too, but mostly during startup. I think it has to do with Skype more than anything.

I think it's a decent program nevertheless, at least for the Windows version of it.

I use skype, but https://plus.im/ is a good browser based one.