[Image: 5.jpg]
Updated

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K (4.4 GHz)
RAM: 20 GB DDR4
OS: Manjaro Linux (it's based on Arch) & Windows 10 Home
Graphics: MSI AMD R9 390X GAMING 8 GB
Storage: 250 GB SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2 TB Internal HDD, 1 & 8 TB External HDDs
Monitor: QNIX 27" 2560x1440 @ 96Hz
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (900 DPI Mostly)
Keyboard: CODE VP3 61 key (Pok3r) w/ Cherry MX Blues
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 + Fiio K3 DAC/Amp
[Image: userbar2.png]
2018 Makestation Member of the Year
July 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
December 2020 Makestation Member of the Month
2019 Makestation Member of the Year Nominee
Same Specs as before.

however now I'm using watercooling for the CPU.
"I reject your reality and subsitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters
(September 5th, 2019 at 5:20 PM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Same Specs as before.

however now I'm using watercooling for the CPU.

What water cooling setup are you using? I have a corsair h115i. It's a closed loop system. I have the radiator mounted at the top of the case with fans exhausting through it.
Honestly I've forgotten lol, it was what was on sale at microcenter when I went there back in july.

I think I paid $80 for it?

it's a dual fan, 120x240mm radiator AIO from corsair with RGB lighting on both the pump and the fans Tongue
My laptop's my daily driver.
Currently sits at:
i7-7500u @ 3.5GHz
500GB SSD
12GB RAM
nvGT940MX

Not amazing, can't really do much gamen because of the GPU bottleneck, but that's fine since I do all my gamen on a PS4 and WoW Classic runs on every shitbox.
Oh, and the OS is a dualboot between Gentoo and Win10 Pro.
The GPU isn't bad! It's not a high-class GPU, but it beats integrated, and on a laptop, that's a plus!

Lain, outside of WOWclassic, what else do you use your laptop for?
(September 16th, 2019 at 12:29 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: Lain, outside of WOWclassic, what else do you use your laptop for?

Software dev, reverse engineering (practicing), school/writing and ShitPostMachine5000.
So yeah, none of those things need particularly amazing specs (unless I tried developing with some dogshit like Node that abused my memory.)

I could go for a better GPU for CUDA/ml, or a CPU with more physical cores, though.

(September 15th, 2019 at 11:58 PM)Darth-Apple Wrote: The GPU isn't bad! It's not a high-class GPU, but it beats integrated, and on a laptop, that's a plus!

Actually, I can't play most games at 1080. Usually need to drop down to 1366x768 and medium settings, even for someone's indie project. Feelsbadman.
(Note: 940 would have been nice, but this is a 940m, basically downgraded to shit to fit in smaller spaces.)
@ lain: that's why I've been eyeing the Lenovo T450, the GPU, CPU, Display, Memory, HDD, all are upgradeable in it, if you can get the parts, to the point that a laptop bought for $100 could equal a 1K laptop for $600 after upgrades lol.
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:03 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @ lain: that's why I've been eyeing the Lenovo T450, the GPU, CPU, Display, Memory, HDD, all are upgradeable in it, if you can get the parts, to the point that a laptop bought for $100 could equal a 1K laptop for $600 after upgrades lol.

I actually got a T430s for my girlfriend a while ago. 300CAD but it also came with 8GB RAM and a 300GB SSD. Not too bad, especially for value.
Refurb thinkpads are great, just gotta make sure the refurbisher is competent, since I've seen a bunch of refurbs that completely break (screen popping out of frame entirely/fractured plastic) for one reason or another.
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:08 AM)Lain Wrote:
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:03 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote: @ lain: that's why I've been eyeing the Lenovo T450, the GPU, CPU, Display, Memory, HDD, all are upgradeable in it, if you can get the parts, to the point that a laptop bought for $100 could equal a 1K laptop for $600 after upgrades lol.

I actually got a T430s for my girlfriend a while ago. 300CAD but it also came with 8GB RAM and a 300GB SSD. Not too bad, especially for value.
Refurb thinkpads are great, just gotta make sure the refurbisher is competent, since I've seen a bunch of refurbs that completely break (screen popping out of frame entirely/fractured plastic) for one reason or another.

I used to use a W500 at home, but more recently switched to a raspiberry pi based solution.

not enough adaptability with the ports and ran a bit slow.

still cyberdecks are a ways out yet.
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:11 AM)SpookyZalost Wrote:
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:08 AM)Lain Wrote:

I used to use a W500 at home, but more recently switched to a raspiberry pi based solution.

not enough adaptability with the ports and ran a bit slow.

still cyberdecks are a ways out yet.

I've eyeballed the idea of a cyberdeck a few times, but I figured that if I did make something like that on the run, I'd want absolutely full control over the hardware.
I'm not talking installing linux.
I'm talking getting an FPGA and soldering circuits together inside, and getting another interface to program it on the go. Got a bunch of MCU's lying around , so I'm thinking if I can use a beaglebone as a programming interface (along with a tiny screen and keyboard,) then I can have true full control over things.

I don't know how useful it would be aside from maybe breaking DoorKing boxes to get access to apartment buildings, but honestly you can just do that with a screwdriver and a couple jumper wires Tongue Would be a fun project nonetheless.
(September 19th, 2019 at 2:17 AM)Lain Wrote: SNIP

this right here, is why I prefer raspi type units.

it's the best of both worlds, portable OS with GPIO in one package and easy to use and understand.

that being said, I've thought about using some kinda short range wireless modules with GPIO for the interface without needing custom hardware Tongue

I still like the idea of running alligator clip wires to GPIO pins for interfacing to random hardware with a custom cyberdeck type unit though, mostly because I like reverse engineering and finding ways to bypass stuff at the low level when possible, it's less hassle.
Updated!

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K (4.2 GHz)
RAM: 16 GB DDR4
OS: Manjaro Linux (it's based on Arch) & Windows 10 Home
Graphics: Sapphire AMD RX 5700 XT Nitro+
Storage: 250 GB SSD, 500 GB SSD, 2 TB Internal HDD, 1 & 8 TB External HDDs
Monitor: Dual LG 27" 4K
Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum (900 DPI Mostly)
Keyboard: CODE VP3 61 key (Pok3r) w/ Cherry MX Blues
Headphones: Sennheiser HD650 + Fiio K3 DAC/Amp

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Geekbench Your Computer Darth-Apple 7 4,295 June 11th, 2020 at 8:33 AM
Last Post: tc4me
  Your iPhone probably outperforms your computer. Darth-Apple 2 3,009 June 7th, 2019 at 5:04 AM
Last Post: Darth-Apple
  Your dream computer workstation Darth-Apple 29 37,469 May 22nd, 2018 at 6:59 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost
  Computer in your pocket? Rasberry Pi makes it possible Darth-Apple 9 16,648 June 3rd, 2017 at 5:17 AM
Last Post: SpookyZalost